Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

It's great to live in a country where there's a magazine for every possible interest and/or fetish. (Google "balloon fetish" sometime if you don't believe us.) But in today's economy, it's a wonder that a lot of these publications are still churning out issues. (If Rolling Stone is in trouble, how can Strings magazine survive?)

15 of the Weirdest Magazines Still in Publication - Asylum.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 01:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Was it in "Sophie's Choice", where the guy was a freelance writer, and he was writing articles for "The American Strip Miner" and "Styrofoam Today"? Great titles for fictitious magazines.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:00 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
Most of that list wasn't really that surprising. But they are right, I suspect there is far weirder out there (even excluding all the sex fetish stuff) and a magazinge for almost every subculture. The Gardens and Guns was pretty funny.
I love running into subculture hobbies. Did you know there are people who build rockets and go to ummm launch gatherings and launch some pretty big freaking rockets? I heard that since some of these rockets go up 30,000+ feet they have to notify the FAA and get air closures established. Theres a mouse and rat magazine, if you can think of it? Its got a following.
ROCKETS Magazine - Liberty Launch Systems

Old 09-12-2009, 07:15 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
OMG! How funny! I actually ran across a copy of Garden and Guns a few weeks ago when I went with my daughter to a free health clinic. I had lots of time to kill in the waiting room so I read it. It wasn't that bad, seemed to be aimed at the hunting and fishing side of the southern living type folks, a somewhat unusual hybrid of the outdoor lifestyle and southern lifestyle. The title is a hoot though.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:16 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,193,635 times
No, no thanks...don't think I'll google "balloon fetish"...

I've actually seen a couple of those---Crappie World, Model Airplane News....there's a million niche markets and industry mags out there, but, Girls and Corpses!??! That's gotta be a put on...

Something tells me there are other really weird ones out there, but that last one...things that make you go eeeeeeeWWWWWW!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books