Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times

Advertisements

zugor wrote;
Quote:
I can't recall the exact title of the first Bryson book I encountered but it was about the English language and how it got that way
"The Mother Tongue, English and How it Got That Way". This is a great read and I'm always on the prowl for my own copy, even though I've read it 4 times, I want to own it.

All of his stuff has great "hidden" laugh out loud lines in it, if you truly "read for meaning". In his travels around the British Isles he wrote about "The Aurora Flyer" (I think that was the name anyway) which is a train that "set the land speed record for (?? city) to London (300 miles or so) of 24 hours back in 184?. He wrote; "British Rail can do it in 1/2 that today".

About the cathedral in Cologne (Koln, umlaut over the o) he wrote; they built this in about 50 years, and this was back in the 13th century, with 13th century tools and manpower, in England they'd still be digging the footings".

Stuff like that cracks me up.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:22 AM

42 posts, read 153,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I loved a Walk in the Woods! I am currently reading The Geography of Bliss - One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner - if you like Bill Bryson, you'll probably enjoy this book as well!
I loved Geography of Bliss!

I've wanted to read something by Bill Bryson for awhile -- any recommendations for which of his books I should read first? I've been looking at A Short History of Nearly Everything and A Walk in the Woods.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:44 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
My favorite was A Walk in the Woods , too. Just his commentaries . . ..
Wouldn't you love to sit down and have lunch with him? He really is so wry &
literate.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-02-2009, 05:36 PM

89 posts, read 201,672 times
I have only read three of his books but count myself a huge fan of his! A Walk in the Woods was also my favorite so far but I laughed harder than I can ever remember at some of his essays in I'm a Stranger Here Myself. I didn't enjoy A Short History of Nearly Everything, though I don't remember why. I don't remember anything about the book actually so that should tell you something...

Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
'A Short History of Nearly Everything' is fantastic.

Hilarious author...but I totally take him with a grain of salt as he seems to be full o' beans.

In a good way.

I love how he drops cuss words into an otherwise polished and genteel paragraph for maximum effect.

A real master of the art.

Love him.

I want to read Mother Tongue and his African Diary next...if I have time outside of school.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:03 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
If you like Bill Bryson, you might like some of Tony Horwitz's travel books. He wrote Confederates in the Attic and Blue Latitudes (and some others I haven't gotten to yet.) He's not as laugh-out-loud funny as Bryson, but he is an engaging writer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books