U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 AM

2,241 posts, read 3,101,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I was one of those that read the first page--knew at once that Claire and I had much in common and read like fiend and cannot wait for the next book.

The word is that there will be a film. DG has approved a screenwriter and things are said to be coming along.

I haven't checked on all this in a while but Diana has a website. LOL--hope she is writing away.

When there is so much that the Outlandishly Obsessed must know, ye ken?

What a tale, what a tale.

~~~Ducking and running like the wind~~~~
I've heard about the Outlander movie possibility, but since the same rumor has been floating around for decades, I'll just wait and see on this one. I'm not really sure if I want to watch it though. I remember how profoundly disappointed I felt watching the movie Timeline (from Michael Crichton's novel). What a stinker it was!! (the movie, not the book). But hey... it also depends on who plays Jamie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,471,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I've heard about the Outlander movie possibility, but since the same rumor has been floating around for decades, I'll just wait and see on this one. I'm not really sure if I want to watch it though. I remember how profoundly disappointed I felt watching the movie Timeline (from Michael Crichton's novel). What a stinker it was!! (the movie, not the book). But hey... it also depends on who plays Jamie
Yes that is true DG has declined many offers but she has said herself that it looks like a 'Go' this time.

<shrug>I know I will enjoy the film--not quite as 'passionate' as some fans.

I enjoyed the books, got some perspective, a few laughs and met some interesting people through reading these books. I will always be glad I read them.

ROFLMAO--what I think of Herself/DG --nobody does it better--she is a '007'.

~~~Ducking and Running like the wind~~~

Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,471,917 times
OK--Outlander Fans--plan to come to Atlanta for Labor Day 2009 --Herself has accepted an invite to the Book Festival in Decatur.

WooHootieHoo!!

Diana Gabaldon>>>
Diana Gabaldon Home Page

'Now, we don’t yet have a publication date for An Echo in the Bone, so I don’t know at what point this all breaks loose. However, I have been invited to take part in the Atlanta-Decatur Book Festival, which takes place over Labor Day weekend (Sept. 4-6). It’s not a firm date, yet, but I’d like to do this, and assuming it doesn’t interfere with any other plans the publisher might have, I’ll be there. '

~~~
Her Methadone List for fans who must read while waiting on the next book>>>
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~gatti/gabaldon/excerpts/companion/toc_methadonelist.html (broken link)

Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,022,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

If you love romance, have you visited All About Romance (Novels, Reviews, Books, Reading) - Home Page This website is All About Romance and nothing else. When you go there, you can click on 'Readers Choice' and choose "Special Title Listings', which provides listings of titles based on specific theme (paranormal, romantic suspense, unrequited love theme, etc). It also publishes reviews on romance books routinely. Check it out!
I haven't been there! So cool. Thank you!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,753,150 times
LaVyrle has been a classic for years. I still enjoy her works. Right now my fave romance author is LuAnne Rice. I get every new book she writes!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 PM

6,539 posts, read 16,082,461 times
LuAnne Rice is a very good writer, but there was one book that had such a gruesome scene that I decided I didn't want to read any more of her books. I won't go into detail, but it was very shocking and euuww.

I love Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series; she's the only author whose books I'm willing to buy in hardback.

Linda Howard is another longtime favorite. I came so close to buying "Death Angel" in hardback, but decided against it.

Virginia Kantra is good, too. I enjoyed "Sea Witch".

I recently discovered Robyn Carr (Virgin River series). Along the same lines is Catherine Anderson, another favorite of mine.

I recently started getting into historicals. I really love Tracy Anne Warren and Teresa Medeiros, just to name a couple.

So many books, so little time! And although I love Kresley Cole, I'm a bit burned out on paranormal books now. It seems that everything is either "romantic suspense" or paranormal. But then again, I've been reading romances since I was 14, and I'm 45 now.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:14 PM

620 posts, read 1,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Linda Howard is another longtime favorite. I came so close to buying "Death Angel" in hardback, but decided against it.
I love LH! Why didn't you end up buying Death Angel?

I'm into romantic suspense and the heavier on the suspense, the better. Linda Howard, Sandra Brown, Catherine Coulter, Iris Johansen and Erica Spindler are some of the authors I like to read. Since I only go for romance novels with a suspense element to them, I'm sure I've missed out on quite a few great novels by these ladies (and others). It seems like the earlier works of, say, Brown and Howard, were strictly romance and not much, if any, suspense. Then again, I'm only going by summaries I've read of those books, so I can't be sure.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:10 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,022,435 times
I've just discovered Gena Showalter and I am devouring her books like crazy. I read 2 today. She's great.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:26 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,753,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I've just discovered Gena Showalter and I am devouring her books like crazy. I read 2 today. She's great.
I remember the days I used to be able to read an entire book or more in a day. That hasn't happened in forever!!!! I miss it! But I barely have time to get in a half hour before bed nowdays. Maybe I'll be like my sister and say "when I retire I'm going to read all these books I've been collecting"......well, she retired 2 years ago and I've never seen a book out any time I've been at her house! I guess life just gets too busy!

Old 02-28-2009, 01:25 PM

543 posts, read 2,118,554 times
Luanne Rice and Barbara Delinsky are my favorites. I've also read a few by Susan Wiggs I have thoroughly enjoyed I think it was a series of hers the ware called the Lakeshore Chronicles. I love "family saga's" with great characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books