U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 04:45 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,022,435 times

Advertisements

I am LOVING Gena Showalter! I like paranormal romance but I DON'T like vampires and werewolves (boring and way overdone). So I'm liking her.

I love Johanna Lindsey. She's my favorite romance author - I have all her books.

I used to like Kathleen Woodiweiss (sp?) but not really anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,471,917 times
Check out my social group for the 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon.

You will 'luff' Jamie and Claire I promise you that.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:37 PM

Thanks, but I've tried Outlander, but I didn't like it.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Thanks, but I've tried Outlander, but I didn't like it.
LOL--ok.

There are so many and I am really not reading now.

~~

Old 02-01-2009, 06:42 PM

128 posts, read 426,482 times
Oh, wow, that's hard to believe. Did you get through it or did you have a hard time getting into it and put it aside? I found that I had to push forward a little at the beginning but then once it got rolling, I was hooked on Outlander.

But if it's not for you, all right. What about writers like LaVyrle Spencer? Or Jennifer Crusie? In other words, do you prefer a more old-fashioned style or more contemporary? Personally, I love both those ladies' works and more recently really love Lani Diane Rich, too.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 PM

I got all the way through it. I even tried the 2nd book. I couldn't do it. It was just too boring for me. I like both old fashioned and contemporary. I do sometimes like LaVyrle. Right now I'm into Paranormal, but like I said, not vampires and werewolves. I like gods, goddesses, psychics, etc.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:55 PM

2,241 posts, read 3,101,978 times
Nicole, I love romance too. Since you mentioned that you like paranormal, have you tried Susan Carroll? She wrote the Dark Queen series which takes place in 16th century France in Catherine Medici era about 3 sisters with paranormal abilities. There are 4 books out so far in this series: The Dark Queen, The Courtesan, The Silver Rose, and the Huntress.

She did a marvelous job in providing historical background that's accurate but not heavy, and she seamlessly added her own embelishment to the background story to make it believable. She also wrote wonderful characters that's multi-layered, with a good combination of dark and light scenes in the book to make it balanced. Check her out, you'll love her!

PS: Regarding Outlander, I also had a tough time getting into the books. The first 100 or so pages of Outlander were especially boring but once Claire met Jamie, things moved more smoothly for me. I enjoyed the first three books but not so much after that.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:08 PM

cool! Thank you. I asked for ideas on Amazon that DIDN'T involve vamps or weres and almost every single one of them gave me vamps and weres. sigh.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
PS: Regarding Outlander, I also had a tough time getting into the books. The first 100 or so pages of Outlander were especially boring but once Claire met Jamie, things moved more smoothly for me. I enjoyed the first three books but not so much after that.
I was one of those that read the first page--knew at once that Claire and I had much in common and read like fiend and cannot wait for the next book.

The word is that there will be a film. DG has approved a screenwriter and things are said to be coming along.

I haven't checked on all this in a while but Diana has a website. LOL--hope she is writing away.

When there is so much that the Outlandishly Obsessed must know, ye ken?

What a tale, what a tale.

~~~Ducking and running like the wind~~~~

Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 AM

2,241 posts, read 3,101,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
cool! Thank you. I asked for ideas on Amazon that DIDN'T involve vamps or weres and almost every single one of them gave me vamps and weres. sigh.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I overdosed myself with vamps and weres awhile back and now I don't even want to go anywhere near those books!!

But Susan Carroll is truly one of my favorite authors. She also wrote another paranormal trilogy (The Bride Finder, The Knight Drifter, and The Midnight Bride). It's a story about the St. Leger men who also have paranormal abilities (first book about the father and his quest to find his bride, then the following two books take place roughly 2 decades later about each of his twin sons).

If you love romance, have you visited All About Romance (Novels, Reviews, Books, Reading) - Home Page This website is All About Romance and nothing else. When you go there, you can click on 'Readers Choice' and choose "Special Title Listings', which provides listings of titles based on specific theme (paranormal, romantic suspense, unrequited love theme, etc). It also publishes reviews on romance books routinely. Check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books