Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,535,345 times

Advertisements

I loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder books-Little House on the Prairie etc.It was a TV series here in the UK.
Also bought Judy Blume books-bought them in the US , Black Beauty and the Heidi books. "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,537,102 times
Oh, almost forgot an author I read extensively: F. W. Dixon. Though no one person probably existed by that name.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 4,728 times
Default ,,..

the little prince was my favorite book when i was a child..

my aunt give it to me when i was 3 but since i dont know how to read,
i was contented in looking at the pictuers and drawings..

when i reach 5 and know how to read a bit i begin to read it over anover till i memorize the whole book!!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,018,984 times
I loved The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton. I was in third grade when a friend brought it home from Australia, and I must have read it a dozen or more times. While not great literature by any stretch, it was part of a trilogy that truly captured my imagination. I think those books made me a reader. They were re-released a couple of years ago, and I bought them for my young daughter. She loved them, too.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:08 PM

5,250 posts, read 4,647,167 times
Kon Tiki, by Thor Heyerdahl.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:36 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,166,909 times
I read constantly as a child once I had access to a library or friends books (i.e. past 6 or 7). Books were just not as available to us in a small town in the early 60s. I remember Pippi Longstocking, the Twins referenced here are also a dim memory - we had only one of the series where they were on a beach vacation? All the Hardy Boy and Nancy Drew books because the small library had then all. Many of the books mentioned here I discovered in my late teens or early 20s - Watership Down, the Chronicles of Narnia etc.
I do remember being struck by a book with a young boy who goes to live in the woods for awhile. How he tanned things in a tree stump and just amazing woods craft. It had a gold medallion on the cover. The overall book is a little dim but the emotion engendered isnt.
I was probably between 12 and 14 and read The Voice of Bugle Ann any number of times.
Before I wrote this I googled it because I wasn't sure of the title - just the name of the dog - I had no idea it was a pretty famous book and apparently a well known movie. It was just a book I had found laying around somewhere. I guess its closest counterpart according to Amazon would be Where the Red Fern Grows but that one I don't remember reading. If you liked WTRFG I would look up The Voice of Bugle Ann (1936). Short (115 pgs) but extremely evocative.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:32 AM

522 posts, read 712,197 times
A tree grows in Brooklyn

Old 10-19-2009, 08:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,750,933 times
I cried and cried over Peter Pan.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,515,195 times
This is a tough one, I liked so many books. I guess I would say Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 AM

88,154 posts, read 84,024,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I cried and cried over Peter Pan.
I hated that story as a kid and I still do, lol.

I loved The Little Princess, which was the expanded version of Sara Crewe.

I remember reading and re-reading several times a book called The Spinning Wheel Secret about a colonial girl whose mother is kidnapped in an Indian raid and who is left with a relative but takes off on her own to go find her mother.

Read all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books, as well as another series, Cherry Ames, about a nurse.

Read the whole shelf of biographies of famous Americans in the children's library in my town.

And around 12 or so, I read this great book called Addie Pray, about a con man and his daughter traveling during the Great Depression. A part of the book was made into the movie Paper Moon starring Ryan and Tatum O'Neal. The best part, their biggest con, isn't in the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books