Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:47 PM

9,631 posts, read 819,989 times

Advertisements

The emerald city of Oz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,922,380 times

The Jungle Book is one of my favorites still!

And, it contains within it a short story, Rikki Tikki Tavi, which is also a favorite of mine.

I love a story within a story!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:19 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,614 times
Are you there god, it's me Margaret
James and the giant peach

Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Can't pick just one.

My fave Little Golden Books were.....
(I pretty much wore these 3 out lol)
Dennis the Menace Christmas, always loved it when he said how the trees smelled as good as peanut butter.
The City Mouse and the Country Mouse
And a Day on the Farm(don't recall the exact title.)

And of course Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat

The Red Pony
Black Beauty

Then in my teens it was James Herriot All Creatures Great and Small series.
(I worked on a farm for a Vet in my senior year, I still watch the T.V. show)
Yes, I had "A day on the farm" too. .. and loved it: also, Raggedy Ann
When a little older, Black Beauty, King of the Wind, Red Pony (not sure that was a fav. .. too sad, but I read it more than once), Lad a dog and other dog stories by Terhune, there was a series of dog (Irish Setter) stories by a guy whose name I don't remember. . .scandinavian name, begins with K; then older still Anne of Green Gables and sequels. . .

Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
What I remember is The Adventures of Tom Sawyer which my Dad would read to me when I was in bed and ready for sleep. Great stories, yet really scarey parts like about "Inj(u)n Joe"
We had a complete set of "Mark Twain" books. . . I read most of them. Also loved "The Jungle Book". . . my aunt read it to me.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 AM

very nostalgic thread. .. One I just remembered, probably my absolute favorite, was "The Magic Garden" by Gene Stratton Porter. Not necessarily written as a childrens book, but an easy enough read. . . about a little rich girl who is essentially abandoned by her parents and raised by servants until she runs away from home. Highly recommended, especially for kids from "problem" families.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Anyone remember "The Bobsey Twins?"

I loved those books when I was a child.

I am forever grateful that my parents were readers and passed that on to me. I don't know if I would have developed the love of books on my own. I'd like to think I would have but one never knows.
yup, I only had one or two. .. but loved them

Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Yup, I remember the Bobsey Twins...which reminds me of The Boxcar Kids that I liked.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,719,775 times
Brian Jacques' Mossflower and Redwall, both part of the large Redwall series. I read other books in the series, but kept going back to those two in particular. I really fell in love with the characters.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
As a wee one, it had to be Little Golden Books' The Color Kittens with their sweet faces and painters' overalls.

Later, I was amazed by the Boxcar Children, who lived alone in order to stay together. I used to think I'd run away from home, find a boxcar somewhere, and make a place for myself, and survive very nicely. I also loved Pippi Longstocking, and longed for such adventures.

Even as an adult, I love children's literature: Raold Dahl's fun and a bit bizarre works like The Witches or The Twits, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Great fodder his books have made for film. Laura Ingall's Little House in the Big Woods, and the others in the series are great. So many children's works, while written for a young audience, are so much fun for adults as many writers kept in mind that grown-ups would be reading them aloud. I used to laugh so hard at many, and my little one would look at me and say, "Mommy it ISN'T THAT funny. . ." Ah, she just couldn't understand! Not until she reads it to her own little ones someday.

I used to read quite a few children's books in my HS English classrooms, too, and was amazed at how few of them some of my students were even familiar with. In Brit Lit, with the Seniors, I always included titles of Beatrix Potter, or A.A. Milne, and the like. They'd see the humor meant for the grownups reading aloud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books