Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

I put it off for a long time. But I finally checked it out two weeks ago. Holy mackerel, an amazing bit of writing. Yet, when I mentioned in conversation that I was reading Lolita, the people I was spoke with cringed.

I asked if they had read it, to which they replied, "Of course not." Mind you, these are educated people. I certainly do not advocate statutory rape, but have you ever wondered if reading a book about something implied your approval of it? I mean, I think "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas," is one funny book, but I don't believe in drug use. "Helter Skelter" certainly didn't make me want to kill people. So why such visceral reactions over what is, without question, a masterpiece, by people who have never read it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 04:42 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times
I'm tempted to go on a rant here....

This is the precise problem I have with my book club. God forbid a book *might* have the F word in it, it's out of consideration. Or if it is "depressing".

It was a BIG DEAL when we read The Kite Runner. Enough of us wanted to, so we actually had it "unofficially" during an "off" month.

I definately want to read Lolita! And I know I will get that reaction as well!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:15 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,606 times
I had it as required reading in college...good book, and actually still own my copy a good 15 years later. Interesting...I think I'll see what reactions I get when I mention I'm re-reading it....

Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
Such reactions are from people with small minds.

Lolita is a great work of literature. Nabokov is always an author I've wanted to find more time for. The only other of his works that I've read is Invitation to a Beheading. Also a very good book, but not quite on the level of Lolita.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Such reactions are from people with small minds.

Lolita is a great work of literature. Nabokov is always an author I've wanted to find more time for. The only other of his works that I've read is Invitation to a Beheading. Also a very good book, but not quite on the level of Lolita.
I was so stunned by Lolita that I've moved immediately into Pale Fire. I'll let you know how I like it.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I was so stunned by Lolita that I've moved immediately into Pale Fire. I'll let you know how I like it.
Many thanks. After I read your post, it just occurred to me that Pale Fire is one of the many unopened books on my shelf calling out to be read, so a little encouragement just my cause me to set it aside in my "to read" pile

I also have The Luzhin Defense, which is begging to be opened as well.

So many books, so little time...especially when I'm trying to finish writing one of my own. [emoticon needed for banging head against wall in frustration].

Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Many thanks. After I read your post, it just occurred to me that Pale Fire is one of the many unopened books on my shelf calling out to be read, so a little encouragement just my cause me to set it aside in my "to read" pile

I also have The Luzhin Defense, which is begging to be opened as well.

So many books, so little time...especially when I'm trying to finish writing one of my own. [emoticon needed for banging head against wall in frustration].
Yep. Working on my third. Why on earth I'm on a message board is beyond me. However, I would offer that reading great books is as vital to a writer as good nutrition is to an athlete.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yep. Working on my third. Why on earth I'm on a message board is beyond me. However, I would offer that reading great books is as vital to a writer as good nutrition is to an athlete.
Definitely agree - both about reading great books and questioning my presence on this message board! I'm still wrapping up my first, so you're a few steps ahead of me. I'm getting decent response, but securing a publisher is going to be a challenge, especially in this economy. Ah well, as someone who edits and translates most of the day, I'm still paid to work with language, sometimes in fascinating ways, so things aren't that bad...

Nabokov is certainly a great writer to absorb and inspire you. Right now I'm trying to go through everything J.M. Coetzee has written. Another brilliant master...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Definitely agree - both about reading great books and questioning my presence on this message board! I'm still wrapping up my first, so you're a few steps ahead of me. I'm getting decent response, but securing a publisher is going to be a challenge, especially in this economy. Ah well, as someone who edits and translates most of the day, I'm still paid to work with language, sometimes in fascinating ways, so things aren't that bad...

Nabokov is certainly a great writer to absorb and inspire you. Right now I'm trying to go through everything J.M. Coetzee has written. Another brilliant master...
Here's something to try. Go to a writer's conference where you actually get to pitch agents. It's really great.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,011 times
Lolita was a great book. I've read it several times. I love the way Nabakov plays with the English language, and the book is a true tragedy, in a way. Ann Rice did a rip off (under a psuedonym, IIRC) called Melinda that was nowhere near as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books