U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM

44 posts, read 155,403 times

Advertisements

No, they end up back at the Professor's house. This is the only book we have read in this series so can't tell you about when they ended up on a train platform. In the previews though, they started on a train platform in Caspian I believe. So maybe since they started out that way, maybe they ended up that way too. Looking forward to reading more in this series. But can do without another Historical Fiction report.

Thanks Bunjee!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 PM

4,800 posts, read 11,108,588 times
Maybe you are looking for something different, but I always thought since they were shipped to country during the London air raids that it happened in 1940, which was the time of the German bombings. Of course, what happens in Narnia takes no time off our world which is why when they get back, the time is the same. So it all happens circa 1940 in our world.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:30 PM

5,763 posts, read 10,090,026 times
I think that is an odd assignment because the time in which it took place isnt important t the themes in the book. It seems to be taking focus off the important things.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,851,686 times
When Lucy, Peter and Susan enter Narnia I believe a few weeks had passed that Mr. Tumnus had been incarcerated, so that's one anchor for the timeline. Otherwise, a strict timeline would be impossible, but there are opportunities for discussion if you want to approach the assignment that way. Peter and Edmund had to learn swordfighting. How much real time would that naturally take as opposed to the narrative's thrusting them into proficiency by the imminence of battle? Aslan's resurrection was pretty much immediate, whereas Christian theology has Jesus' at 3 days posthumous--the number 3 being very important to Kabbalic Judeo-Christianity, though I'm sure CS Lewis as a fantasy writer didn't want to draw that obvious a parallel. (As an aside, this would be explained purely for cultural interest; though I am Christian I do believe very strictly in the Establishment clause!) You could also try and figure out exactly how old they were at the end of their Narnia adventure, before returning through the wardrobe.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,397,224 times
[
Quote:
B]Bunjee[/b]: When Lucy, Peter and Susan enter Narnia I believe a few weeks had passed that Mr. Tumnus had been incarcerated, so that's one anchor for the timeline. Otherwise, a strict timeline would be impossible, but there are opportunities for discussion if you want to approach the assignment that way. Peter and Edmund had to learn swordfighting. How much real time would that naturally take as opposed to the narrative's thrusting them into proficiency by the imminence of battle? Aslan's resurrection was pretty much immediate, whereas Christian theology has Jesus' at 3 days posthumous--the number 3 being very important to Kabbalic Judeo-Christianity, though I'm sure CS Lewis as a fantasy writer didn't want to draw that obvious a parallel. (As an aside, this would be explained purely for cultural interest; though I am Christian I do believe very strictly in the Establishment clause!) You could also try and figure out exactly how old they were at the end of their Narnia adventure, before returning through the wardrobe.
I found the series very interesting, too. I especially enjoyed the PBS series.

Timeline: As everyone has pointed out there is a timeline around World War II and Narnia is caught in time. I don't know how creative the teacher is, or how accepting the teacher would be of creativity, however, if my child were doing this as an assignment, I would take it and run creatively with it.

For instance, I'd have a large page -- maybe a large drawing/sketch book size -- and draw that time line with plenty of space above and below. Then the beginning is the World War II time period, which is the only "real" one confirmed in the story.

What the teacher may be alluding to is that the children become young adults while in Narnia...thus, a period of maybe 10-15 years has lapsed in Narnia while they are there.

So, if it were my child, I'd allow her lots of creativity on it, and put in World War II (1940, I think was stated here), and underneath that a clipped photo of the start of World War II.

Then I'd extend that line to "Stepping into the Wardrobe," at which point the fantasy time line takes over in "Narnia Time." Drawings or clip art of the story could be used to show "Stepping into the Wardrobe, 1940-41" (or something like that) and then the next line would be "Narnia, Frozen in Time -- spanning hundreds of years due to the Ice Queen [forgot exactly how long the book said]," and pictures of the characters. As Lucy returns from the wardrobe, it would still be in the 1940s -- put that in. Then eventually they all return to "Narnia Time," in which 10-15 years elapse when they grow to young adulthood in a flash of our time. Then another line when they return, and are back to 1940! Again, I'd embelish with photos, drawings, colorful lines on the timeline and make it interesting. The book is a novel, not a biography. Or you could also make a parallel time line: one of "real" time .... always that same year...and Narnia time.... Lots of options for creativity!

Anyway, it sounds like it could be a fun project if the teacher is open to being creative with the "time." Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 AM

44 posts, read 155,403 times
Great insights! Thought about putting 1939 ( the official start of World War II and then 1940 as this is when the Pevensies were evacuated out of London due to the War raids. Also another question I had was, we found information when the kids were born. Peter was born in 1927, Susan in 1928, Edmund in 1930 and Lucy in 1932, according to the info we got. Would this be another option as far as 'real events' if these are based on the real characters?

We are doing a 'gameboard format', to show the timeline, challenging as not much room on the paper that the teacher gave the students. My daughter asked if she could do it on another sheet that would accommodate her project, and the teacher said it must be on the sheet she gave everyone. It is due on Friday a.m. So will hopefully get this going tonight.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,822,187 times
One thing I recall from when they are in Narnia isn't a statement made about how long they are there, they grow up and forget about the light post?? A book my daughter has speaks of the time they spent in Narnia being 4 years.

I think in the next book, Prince Caspian they are taken off a train platform. They sort of blend together for me now.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,851,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ead462 View Post
We are doing a 'gameboard format', to show the timeline, challenging as not much room on the paper that the teacher gave the students.
Quoting from this article:

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Historical Context): Information from Answers.com

"But beyond the economic and political forces at work in post-war Britain, a more sinister spiritual force was starting to take hold: moral uncertainty. Belief in a moral universe of absolutes and faith in a benevolent God were shaken by awareness of war atrocities led many to the conclusion that theirs was not a culture of moral progress and development but a culture of death. Moreover, the future prospect of living under the cold war's dark cloud of nuclear threat did nothing to strengthen a belief in mankind's capacity for goodness. As a result, church attendance in Great Britain steadily declined, and faith in a deity was replaced by faith in one's own ability to succeed in a world devoid of God. In response to this climate of skepticism and cynicism, Lewis wrote The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, a story which asserts that even in a universe corrupted by evil, there still exist beauty, truth (standards of right and wrong), joy, and the presence of a benevolent creator who will eventually make all things right."

I don't know the age of the students so this might be more complex than necessary, but I'd consider making the outer margin of the gameboard something graphically reflective of wartime/post-war England, creating a border that looks like clothes hanging in a wardrobe, as the boundary of the interior land of Narnia. Narnia is the inner place where the children went to understand how to respond to England of the war years.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:14 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,867,496 times
Maybe this will help

Narnian timeline - The Chronicles of Narnia Wiki

or

Wapedia - Wiki: Narnian timeline

http://books.narnia.com/chronicles/c.../creation.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or