Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 AM

66 posts, read 321,161 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend an author that writes like Dean Koontz or John Saul?
I'm interested in reading some new authors who write thrillers like those 2 guys. I've been searching, but haven't came up with anything yet.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,011 times
Jack Ketchum
F Paul Wilson
Richard Layom

Old 03-09-2009, 03:33 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
brad thor, steve berry

Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
Try Greg Iles

Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
A good way to find some different authors is to log onto one of the many book club sites(double day, literary guild etc) click on the thrillers link and review the books and authors that pop up. I find it rather helpful. you could also check out borders.com or barnes and noble. Of course, after you locate your next author/book, check it out of your local library!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,011 times
Oops. i mean Richrd Laymon.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child, together or on their own

Harlan Coben

Robert McCammon

Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Definitely F. Paul Wilson. Start with THE TOMB. It's like The X-Files meets Deathwish.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:18 PM

285 posts, read 616,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerd View Post
Can anyone recommend an author that writes like Dean Koontz or John Saul?
I'm interested in reading some new authors who write thrillers like those 2 guys. I've been searching, but haven't came up with anything yet.
Thanks!
You didn't specify whether you want "thriller writers" or those that introduce the ghostly, haunting &/or the macabre. There is, of course, the obvious one, Stephen King. Peter Staub is another. Ghost Story and Shadowland were very good. C. S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy (Black Sun Rising,When True Night Falls, & Crown of Shadows) is also good but a bit more sci-fi fantasy.

The best one for my money tho is John Conneolly"s detective series with Charlie Parker. Crime, suspense, thriller and a damn fine haunting/"other-worldliness" combined. Try The Killing Floor first.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:51 PM

66 posts, read 321,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrhydyr View Post
You didn't specify whether you want "thriller writers" or those that introduce the ghostly, haunting &/or the macabre. There is, of course, the obvious one, Stephen King. Peter Staub is another. Ghost Story and Shadowland were very good. C. S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy (Black Sun Rising,When True Night Falls, & Crown of Shadows) is also good but a bit more sci-fi fantasy.

The best one for my money tho is John Conneolly"s detective series with Charlie Parker. Crime, suspense, thriller and a damn fine haunting/"other-worldliness" combined. Try The Killing Floor first.

Huh? I DID specify that I wanted writers who write books like the authors that I mentioned. Like I said in my original post, I have done my own search at the libraries and such and I haven't came up with any that write like those 2 guys. I've already read all the books that Koontz and Saul have to offer and need new authors.Of course I have read some King and Straub books but they are not what I'm looking for. I was hoping someone on here may have come across an author that I haven't heard of before that writes like Koontz or Saul. Books like Koontz's Watchers, The Good Guy, The Husband...etc...
OR John Saul's books like Suffer the Children, Black Creek Crossing, The Homing...etc....
Here is John Saul's website if you don't know who I'm talking about..
The Official John Saul Web site
or
Dean Koontz's website if you don't know who that is...
Dean Koontz Website, Bestselling Author - Dean Koontz - The Official Site
I've read a John Conneolly novel recently...it was pretty good and I'll read some more when I have time. He is not what I'm looking for at this time though.
Thank you all for taking the time to post some authors! I'll check them out at my local library or the local bookstore.
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books