U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 AM

3,985 posts, read 7,262,702 times

Advertisements

Do you have any favorite historical novels that feature a famous work of art or an artist? I have read, Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier and enjoyed it very much. I also enjoyed The Davinci Code by Dan Brown. Have you read or enjoyed any others?

I would love to find one based on The Arnolfini Marriage by Jan Van Eyck. It is one of my favorite portraits. I got to see it when I visited the National Gallery on a London trip in 2007. I think its story, or one based on it, would make a great novel. I have a nonfiction book about it, The Arnolfini Betrothal: Medival Marriage and the Enigma of Van Eyck's Double Portrait by Edwin Hall. It explains a lot of the symbols in the painting.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 04:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 4,843,658 times
A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes. A mix of fiction and art theory. Fun read. Pick it up.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:18 AM

3,184 posts, read 6,824,855 times
If you liked Girl with a Pearl Earring, you'll probably like Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland as much as I did. It is a collection of eight interrelated stories that chronical the history of ownership of a fictional Vermeer painting. Intriguing arrangement and historically fascinating.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 41,918,897 times
I like all the Tracy Chevalier books, and very much enjoyed Vreeland's The Girl in Hyacinth Blue as well, did not enjoy The Forest Lover quite as much but did read it, and I see now she has a famous Renoir as a centerpiece for her newest book: Luncheon of the Boating Party.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 PM

3,184 posts, read 6,824,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I like all the Tracy Chevalier books, and very much enjoyed Vreeland's The Girl in Hyacinth Blue as well, did not enjoy The Forest Lover quite as much but did read it, and I see now she has a famous Renoir as a centerpiece for her newest book: Luncheon of the Boating Party.
Oh, I forgot about Luncheon of the Boating Party - I enjoyed it as well. I must have flipped that book back and forth a thousand times looking at the faces and placement of each model as Vreeland described the development of the painting and the relationships of the models and Renoir. Good suggestion.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 PM

3,985 posts, read 7,262,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes. A mix of fiction and art theory. Fun read. Pick it up.

I just picked it up today. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:25 PM

2,940 posts, read 4,843,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I just picked it up today. Thanks!
Wonderful. I know I haven't misled you into an unsatisfying experience, but do let me know whether or not you enjoyed it. I thought the book was a whole lot of fun and captured me from the first chapter. It's kind of like a very soberly constructed Monty Python movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books