U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 AM

142 posts, read 257,460 times

Advertisements

Can't say where. The assistant manager has promised to ban me from the store premises if she could prove I told store business. The post was open some people's eyes that if you value your books don't hand them off to certain people. This store has the right to sell what it wants. I feel that accepting book donations for the purpose of keeping them out of the hands of readers, is wrong. There is a trust placed upon me when I'm handed someone's lifetime collection of books. Customers trust us to provide access to donations. If we could openly refuse donations on the same moral ground as the refusal to sell them, I would feel better. To make things more complicated, the assistant manager sells this stuff on the managers day off. At the end of the day we retrieve any unsold dragons, unicorns, romances, murder mysteries. And hide them with the Christmas stuff. One Christian says its evil, the other Christian says it's the customer's choice. I walk my narrow path between them. Before you donate check out the store shelves. Without saying you have items to donate, ask if you can buy these items here. The manager here is on a personal mission from God to keep the devil away from her customers. She sees the devil everywhere trying to get a hold on her. Maybe not every Christian based thrift store is run by fanatics. I will let my laptop camera run tomorrow. When she presses on me too hard one day, that's the day I post the name of the chain, her name and any video taped discussions on what the customers are allowed to read or watch as determined by her. Please don't try to find my store. I treat every book that crosses my hands as a live thing to be passed on into someone else's care. A newspaper reporter did a story on me and my bookstore, she said I was a gardener tending plants. Every now and again the manager threatens to toss every book in the store front and back. She even unlocks the dumpster and drags trashcans over to my section. When she is having her monthly "fit", I drag out cheap battered romances (put aside for this purpose ahead of time) and make a show of tossing them. If she knew what I was saying here, she would wipe out the book department as punishment. I'm not worried about her going online, because she thinks the devil is lurking in the internet. I would like to clean out the backroom and then try to shut down the store when she doesn't have hostages to hold over my head. Don't understand? Try throwing one good pretty book in the trash. How long can you leave it there before you put it safely back on a shelf? Can you imagine 50 boxes with say 50 books in each? Think about throwing away 2,500 good books. I can't walk away, it feels like I would be an aid to murder. You probally think I'm crazy for my point of view. Maybe I am. It's still how I see this situation. I started this thread because I know I can't be alone. There are other intake workers out there. Lots of donors. Lots of customers. I want you to walk away from this post with a think before you donate attitude. And think before you shop at a store. Do you want your money to support people that work against you, that censure what you are allowed to buy. People that smile at you to your face but put themselves above you morally, that think judging you is a God given right? If donors and or shoppers supported the other thriftstores in town and ignored this one, then this store would change or close.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-27-2009, 07:45 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,803,474 times
While I certainly don't want you to do anything you're not comfortable with, if the manager never goes online, how would she ever find out you gave out the name of the chain? FWIW, I take all my books to Half-Price Books anyway. But in the future I guess I'll avoid donating books to Christian thrift stores, just to be on the safe side.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 PM

142 posts, read 257,460 times
I'm afraid someone would call and try to educate her. Arguing with her never works. She smiles nicely out on the sales floor, says she'll take something under consideration, but never does. Unless it's to ban another item from the sales floor because someone said something negative. Silly gossip like one of the telly tubbies is supposed to be gay. This she pays attention too. I did read something this morning that made me feel better. At a dr's appt. I picked up Fall 2008 Oprah's magazine. In it she talked about her library and said she doesn't throw away books because it would be like throwing away a life. I had felt bad about saying in public that I felt so strongly against trashing books. They're only paper and cardboard. The words inside the cover are the value and they can be found at any library or bookstore. Rationally I know this is true. My heart says different. Thanks for y'alls responses. Blessings

Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,789,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamarybeth View Post
I'm afraid someone would call and try to educate her. Arguing with her never works. She smiles nicely out on the sales floor, says she'll take something under consideration, but never does. Unless it's to ban another item from the sales floor because someone said something negative. Silly gossip like one of the telly tubbies is supposed to be gay. This she pays attention too. I did read something this morning that made me feel better. At a dr's appt. I picked up Fall 2008 Oprah's magazine. In it she talked about her library and said she doesn't throw away books because it would be like throwing away a life. I had felt bad about saying in public that I felt so strongly against trashing books. They're only paper and cardboard. The words inside the cover are the value and they can be found at any library or bookstore. Rationally I know this is true. My heart says different. Thanks for y'alls responses. Blessings
I feel exactly the same way, I have never thrown away a book in my life. If its not something I need in my collection at all or anymore, I pass it on to a person who wants it, either by donation or I have sold some at gargage sales.

I used to work in a book store, a secular one and there were some paperbacks that if they didn't sell in a certain amount of time, the manager was told to tear off the cover and toss them in the trash. She felt it was HORRIBLE to throw away a book so if any of us wanted the books, we were allowed to take them home. I often took some of these books to read or pass along to a person that I knew was into that kind of story.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 PM

60,043 posts, read 78,466,265 times
taping people w/o their permission, taking things from the store without permission (even those things that they will destroy)
friend rethink this. some charges could easily be filed against you.
you may not like what they do, but you are on thin ice.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 AM

5,141 posts, read 10,549,787 times
Please continue to discuss this on the other thread by the OP

Where can books be donated

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or