U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:54 AM

142 posts, read 257,560 times

Advertisements

Please don't donate your books to a Christian charity. The one I volunteer at has an official store policy that any book that is worldly, is to be trashed. I volunteer two days a week so I can sneak them out the back door or put them out for sale on the manager's day off. James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, even Oprah's magazines. Hardback romances I put out on the salesfloor with the dust jackets off, they pass the manager's inspection if she doesn't see cleavage. This store is part of a chain that does the modern version of book burning(throwing them away) in an attempt to remove bad influences or choices from it's customers. If I'm brave Friday, I'll try to get the manager on tape discussing what our customers are not allowed to read. She has already declared the store employees are not allowed to read fiction, smoke or drink wine even at home. She's a piece of work all right. It frustrates me that we get 5-10 boxes of books donated everyday. Can't the customers see we don't sell anything interesting? My house is full and there's about 35 boxes in the store marked Christmas that aren't. Tell people you know to donate to non religous thriftstores or even libraries. Which is a topic for another thread.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 AM

10,344 posts, read 23,066,418 times
Wow, all those books and I can't get them..
I'd take them all off your hands if I could.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:49 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,719,538 times
OMG!

Does she value reading, or just promoting certain values?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM

23,045 posts, read 24,689,108 times
That is bizarre. I can see if the bookstore espouses certain values they are certainly free to choose not to sell those books in their store. I would think the thing to do would be to select those books they can re-sell and donate the remainder to the library or another organization. Regarding what employees do on their time away, she has no say legally, however I suppose she could make things difficult at work if she found out. This would appear to me to be very "un-Christian" however.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:30 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,829,425 times
That's very bizarre. Would you mind naming the chain so we'll know where not to donate to?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,256,299 times
Wow. Good to know.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:32 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,820,724 times
I witnessed that when I was a young person. Our church had an auction with donated things from the congregation. We got there early to help out. I found a box of Trixie Belden mysteries, in the hardback, the first 15 of the series. They were set aside because they were unsuitable and were going to be trashed when I rescued them, now 30 years later, I still have them and my daughter is reading the series.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM

23,045 posts, read 24,689,108 times
What in the world would be "unsuitable" about Trixie and the rest of the Bobwhites????? I loved Trixie Belden - still have some of them. My dd wasn't a big reader so they are in a trunk in my basement....sigh. I am glad you "rescued" Trixie for another generation....

Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 PM

365 posts, read 954,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamarybeth View Post
Please don't donate your books to a Christian charity. The one I volunteer at has an official store policy that any book that is worldly, is to be trashed. I volunteer two days a week so I can sneak them out the back door or put them out for sale on the manager's day off. James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, even Oprah's magazines. Hardback romances I put out on the salesfloor with the dust jackets off, they pass the manager's inspection if she doesn't see cleavage. This store is part of a chain that does the modern version of book burning(throwing them away) in an attempt to remove bad influences or choices from it's customers. If I'm brave Friday, I'll try to get the manager on tape discussing what our customers are not allowed to read. She has already declared the store employees are not allowed to read fiction, smoke or drink wine even at home. She's a piece of work all right. It frustrates me that we get 5-10 boxes of books donated everyday. Can't the customers see we don't sell anything interesting? My house is full and there's about 35 boxes in the store marked Christmas that aren't. Tell people you know to donate to non religous thriftstores or even libraries. Which is a topic for another thread.
I hope you tell us who is doing this. They don't deserve donations

Old 03-26-2009, 11:50 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,820,724 times
I hope the OP can smuggle the books out of the store and get them to a place where they can be enjoyed and away from the NAZI manager of that store.

I remember in high school (private Seventh Day Adventist school), the religion teacher who was also a minister held a record burning one Saturday. People were encouraged to bring in their unsuitable records and put them on the fire and feel self important etc.

I was telling my Father about it (he was a retired minister) in front of the family. I pointed out that this burning of records sounded really similar to how the Nazis burned books they didn't want people to read. My Dad just burst out laughing while I got shushed by the rest of the family.

That started my noticing just how many things christianity and nazism have in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or