U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:12 PM

140 posts, read 506,048 times

Advertisements

Kindred, by Octavia Butler. Excellent.

Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevski. Shear torture. Had to read it in high school.

Stephen King's The Stand. Awesome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 PM

10,194 posts, read 25,446,856 times
Loved "Kindred" and all of Butler's books. I wish she was more prolific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCutter View Post
Kindred, by Octavia Butler. Excellent.

Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevski. Shear torture. Had to read it in high school.

Stephen King's The Stand. Awesome.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:29 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,367,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Some of our American literary icons might have been better as statutes than writers: Fitzgerald and Hemingway come to my mind!
Fitzgerald, I like. Hemingway, I agree with you about. I think he's one of those "greats" whose greatness doesn't weather the passage of the decades.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM

140 posts, read 506,048 times
I named my cat Gatsby after "The Great Gatsby". Enjoyed the book.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:06 PM

673 posts, read 2,513,868 times
I couldn't stand "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte. I tried to like that book, because I really love so many of the English classics.
But, oh boy, I have got to disagree with the opinions on Hemmingway. "A Farewell To Arms", for me, is one of the most moving books ever written by an American author. By the last chapter, I was an absolute mess. My husband tried it, and couldn't even get through it though. Oh well...

Old 04-07-2007, 05:52 AM

402 posts, read 2,088,504 times
My husband just read, and now passed on to me, Freddy and Fredericka. Pretty funny!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:46 AM

10,285 posts, read 21,187,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm in agreement with pp's re The DaVinci Code. Here's some I've finished recently:

Liked:The Namesake, Atonement, Me Talk Pretty One Day
Bored: The Secret Life of Bees
OMG, I read Me Talk Pretty when I was staying in Paris and just about wet myself laughing. It could have been my French teacher he was writing about. She hated us.

I tried reading several of Faulkner's novels on and off for over a decade and never could get far into them, and one day suddenly, something clicked and I read all of them back to back in a period of 6 months. Dunno what happened.

It took me years to get through Woolf's Orlando, too. Sat on my bedside table for the longest time. Skinny book but it didn't hold my attention.

Anybody ever read Bruno Shultz's "Street of Crocodiles?"

Old 04-07-2007, 08:14 AM

43 posts, read 103,013 times
I don't know about hating a book that everyone loves, but how about loving a book that everyone hates. My favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye. We had to read it for school, and all my freinds hated it. The amazing thing is, though, I don't even like to read, but I just couldn't stop reading this one.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:49 AM

5,268 posts, read 7,480,520 times
"OMG, I read Me Talk Pretty when I was staying in Paris and just about wet myself laughing. It could have been my French teacher he was writing about. She hated us."

The chapter when he tries to outwit the Speech teacher is hysterically funny also. I've since bought three more of Sedaris' books.

Last edited by tigerlily; 04-07-2007 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-07-2007, 09:22 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,561,279 times
White Oleander

DaVinci Code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or