Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:38 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryflem View Post
I don't know about hating a book that everyone loves, but how about loving a book that everyone hates. My favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye. We had to read it for school, and all my freinds hated it. The amazing thing is, though, I don't even like to read, but I just couldn't stop reading this one.
Try "Franny and Zooey." Also, "Nine Stories."

Lots of people gave his books bad reviews, mainly "literary" types. He's not real kind to them.

"Phooey I say, on all white shoe college boys who edit their college literary magazines. Give me an honest con man any day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 10:03 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,797 times
Well, this isn't a book, but an author. Richard North Patterson-I keep seeing him touted as being such a "gifted writer", 'entertaining, blah blah, and in a word, BLAH is what I find his books.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:19 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Another person here who did NOT like the DaVinci Code.

Who said...something like it being like junk food?

It probably made for a good movie, I wouldn't (and won't!) know!

I do, however, have a "must read" list of my own. Half of my book club (the ones who read to "escape") is hoping each month that I don't have a recommendation!

Old 04-12-2007, 10:42 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Try "Franny and Zooey." Also, "Nine Stories."

Lots of people gave his books bad reviews, mainly "literary" types. He's not real kind to them.

"Phooey I say, on all white shoe college boys who edit their college literary magazines. Give me an honest con man any day."
I think I was the last kid in my high school who was allowed to read Catcher in the Rye, after it had already been cut from the curriculum. Loved it and the other two.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Another person here who did NOT like the DaVinci Code.

Who said...something like it being like junk food?
I think I was the one who said that.
And you know, there's nothing wrong with a little literary "junk food."
I do not open every book anticipating lyrical prose and timeless profundity.
But for some reason the DaVinci Code really irked me, maybe it was Brown's blah writing style, more like an outline than a novel.

Ellie, Street of Crocodiles looks interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:44 PM

428 posts, read 2,439,885 times
Bonfire of the Vanities.
I threw the book away after wasting too much time on it.
I took a class years later in which I had to read an essay, and this long-dormant highly-annoyed feeling came over me.
It was Tom Wolfe again, whom I hadn't read since BoV.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:14 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,429 times
Hated The DaVinci Code. Tried reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude". Anyone else have a problem with that? Hated The Great Gatsby.

Loved "Water For The Elephants", "The Glass Castle", "A Fine Balance". Another book I loved was "A Soldier of the Great War".

Old 04-13-2007, 09:24 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,780 times
[quote=lorelei2873;529300]Have you ever tried to read a book that everyone else just LOVES, and you can't get into it? Confess--which "must-reads" bored you to tears?

Anything by Tom Clancy. You are an expert on nuclear phsyics. You are an expert on government intelligence. We get it. Now good lord, please get back to the premise of the book!

Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Tried reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude". Anyone else have a problem with that?
I didn't get through it on the first try. A few years later I read it and enjoyed it. It tried my patience sometimes but I'd have to go through it to tell you what bothered me. Overall I'd say it's a great work. I've read two of his other books too.

Sometimes I have to be in a certain frame of mind to read but I'm a prolific reader when I'm in the mood. I don't read much junk or light fiction. Mostly I lean towards non-fiction and subjects on history, culture, and the natural sciences.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:31 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Hated The DaVinci Code. Tried reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude". Anyone else have a problem with that? Hated The Great Gatsby.

Loved "Water For The Elephants", "The Glass Castle", "A Fine Balance". Another book I loved was "A Soldier of the Great War".
"The Glass Castle" author was interviewed by Jon Stewart the other night. It sounds like she led quite an interesting life. It's on my "to read" list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books