U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,598,744 times

Advertisements

Anything written by John Grisham bores me to death. I see people reading his books and I just want to gag.

As far as DaVinci Code is concerned, I read it long before it became popular and without all the hype I thought it was very good. I think what ruined the book was that the media turned it into a "This is the greatest book you will ever read in your entire life" sort of thing. If they'd have just left it alone it would have been much better in my opinion. I hate it when people ruin things like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM

522 posts, read 1,506,546 times
I didn't like The Five People You Meet in Heaven...I don't know how many people told me to read this book and well, I read it and wasn't impressed.

I really liked My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I couldn't put the book down.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 AM

10,339 posts, read 23,030,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I and one other woman were the only ones in my book group who could get into The Time Traveler's Wife. (terrible title, but excellent, dense, well written book.)
I have that book, but haven't read it yet. I'll get to it someday..only have a few thousand others to sift through as well..

Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 AM

11,709 posts, read 18,587,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I have that book, but haven't read it yet. I'll get to it someday..only have a few thousand others to sift through as well..
I read the Time Traveler's Wife. I enjoyed it, it was interesting and different and worth reading once, but I had a nagging feeling the entire time that the author is entirely too self-indulgent for my taste. I wish I could express what I mean by that better, but that's all I've got at the moment.

As for the book that I hated and everybody else loves, and everybody else keeps trying to give me, I'll turn to an SAT-style analogy :

Elaine Benes : The English Patient ::

Debsi : The Kite Runner

Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 AM

13,394 posts, read 41,903,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I read the Time Traveler's Wife. I enjoyed it, it was interesting and different and worth reading once, but I had a nagging feeling the entire time that the author is entirely too self-indulgent for my taste. I wish I could express what I mean by that better, but that's all I've got at the moment.
Since I wrote that post about the title, I found out what the title actually means. Basically it is a metaphor for the fact that we are all yoked to time, there's no escape. If it was self-indulgent, I guess I was a willing co-conspirator. I dearly loved Henry deTamble.
Quote:
As for the book that I hated and everybody else loves, and everybody else keeps trying to give me, I'll turn to an SAT-style analogy

Elaine Benes : The English Patient ::

Debsi : The Kite Runner
heh
Nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,382,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Some of our American literary icons might have been better as statutes than writers: Fitzgerald and Hemingway come to my mind!

Have to disagree with you on this. Loved Fitzgerald....though I haven't read him for several years. And LOVED Hemingway. "The Old Man and the Sea" is one of my all time favorite books.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:18 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,688,348 times
"Ulysses" and,"Portrait of the artist as a young man" by Joyce. I have tried and tried again to read these bloody books and I just can't get into them. I just do not get it, and it really frustrates me as they are supposed to be such seminal works and great classics.

Shakespeare's comedies. I love a lot of his tragedies ( Hamlet, The Merchant of Venice, Othello, MacBeth , Henry V, King Lear, and Richard the Third are wonderful but even some tragedies are a bit dubious in quality such as Cymbeline) but in my opinion his comedies are weakly written, and not amusing at all . I will no doubt get hate mail for even daring to doubt the Bard's great comic genius but I find them dull, dull, dull... And everybody else seems to love them... I am obviously too dense to appreciate them !

Old 10-26-2007, 07:28 PM

417 posts, read 1,023,221 times
Oh yes, anything by Stephen King. Just can't get into it. Don't care for Jackie Collins, either.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 PM

578 posts, read 2,389,561 times
The old Man and the Sea was THE most boring Spencer Tracy movie of all time. However, maybe the book was better? How could that be, considering the setting? a guy in a boat with a big fish.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 12,841 times
I could not stand Catcher in the Rye, The Things They Carried, Night, or All Quiet on the Western Front, The Hobbit. My companions raved about them, but I couldn't take it.
I loved The Da Vinci Code though, I enjoyed figuring out the clues myself. I think so many people disliked it because the hype formed unrealistic expectations in people's minds that were then unmet even though it was a pretty good book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or