U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 AM

9,856 posts, read 23,018,407 times

Advertisements

On another note, "The old man and the sea," and "Tender is the night," by Hemingway and Fitzgerald respectively are heralded classics, especially, "The Old Man and the Sea," but they both did absolutely nothing for me. Funny because I loved, "A farewell to Arms," and "The Great Gatsby."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 PM

323 posts, read 1,860,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Some of our American literary icons might have been better as statutes than writers: Fitzgerald and Hemingway come to my mind!
And let's not forget Faulkner. YUCK!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 PM

34,406 posts, read 63,641,353 times
Stephen King, Danielle Steel and Dean Koontz are horrible writers. Yet they sell boatloads of books. Go figure.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM

[quote=Mooseketeer;1743468]"Ulysses" and,"Portrait of the artist as a young man" by Joyce. I have tried and tried again to read these bloody books and I just can't get into them. I just do not get it, and it really frustrates me as they are supposed to be such seminal works and great classics./QUOTE]

Agreed. I've found that I like Joyce in small doses - "The Dubliners" was very good - but longer works exceed my attention span.

Quote:
Shakespeare's comedies. I love a lot of his tragedies ( Hamlet, The Merchant of Venice, Othello, MacBeth , Henry V, King Lear, and Richard the Third are wonderful but even some tragedies are a bit dubious in quality such as Cymbeline) but in my opinion his comedies are weakly written, and not amusing at all.
I agree that his comedies don't do much for me - in print. On stage is a completely different matter, which is good as that's where they were intended to be enjoyed.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:29 PM

I didn't find The DaVinci Code to be bad so much as I did overrated. No idea what all the hype was about still.

I'm more of an SF/Fantasy reader and over there I found Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books to be incredibly overrated.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 PM

3,943 posts, read 5,777,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Stephen King, Danielle Steel and Dean Koontz are horrible writers. Yet they sell boatloads of books. Go figure.

I agree with you regarding Steel and Koontz. I think Koontz has a lot of talent, and his books look promising, but once I start reading one, I know whats going to happen at the end. They are just too pat and predictable. I disagree about King though. I don't care for much of his content, but I read every one of his books because I think he is a great writer and storyteller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or