Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,678 times

Advertisements

anyone read any of his stuff? whaddya think?

i like his style, especially the witty dialogue that doesn't to me feel forced witty, like some books and tv shows out there.

i'm not a fan of the language, though in some instances it actually adds to the scene. usually i just find it obnoxious.

as far as plot lines go for locke lamora and red seas, i liked locke, but i loved red seas and thought that it ended much better than the first one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
anyone read any of his stuff? whaddya think?

i like his style, especially the witty dialogue that doesn't to me feel forced witty, like some books and tv shows out there.

i'm not a fan of the language, though in some instances it actually adds to the scene. usually i just find it obnoxious.

as far as plot lines go for locke lamora and red seas, i liked locke, but i loved red seas and thought that it ended much better than the first one.
I preferred Lies of Locke Lamora to the second book. The "caper" aspect of the second didn't seem as strong to me.

Is there a third coming out?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:00 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,678 times
yeah, i don't have a clue when the next one is coming out.

the second one certainly seemed less logical in its progression. it didn't have any sort of natural cause-and-effect relationships, but even so, it was marvelously entertaining to me, and i loved the ending.

the first one seemed anticlimactic to me after we had the villain revealed to us. from that point on, it seemed a little more mundane than anything. though i did like how he tied in the 'just gotta keep holding on till jean comes...' part.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
I enjoyed the books. Lots of fun and very inventive fantasy. Not just another Lord of the Rings or Conan knock-off. A really creative world in its own right.

My biggest criticism was that sometimes Lynch just plain tries too hard. The dialogue is witty and crafted, but oftentimes too much so. It doesn't sound like dialogue. It sounds like the careful craftings of a writer trying to be witty. And I have to admit that were Locke Lamora my friend, I would eventually have to punch him in the face. He's hilarious and charming at first, but after a while he just become obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books