Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:46 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how many people have discovered the well kept secret of non fiction books being better than most fictional renderings. I'm curious because I've been reading nonfiction stuff almost exclusively for twenty some years and have concluded their superior standing in contrast to the best of fiction writings. I have read a number of Biographies of charachters that no central casting efforts could match, Jim Harrison's account of his own life was as good if not better than his efforts to entertain us with his imagination. Has anybody else felt this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
I'm with you on this jertheber. I used to read some fiction but my favorite living fiction writer; George V. Higgins, died a few years back and other than an occassional short story in a magazine it's been all non-fiction for me.

Have you ever read any of the "Flashman" series by George McDonald Fraser? They are "historical" adventures taking place in the 19th century and "Flashman" is the "Forest Gump" of the British Army. He is simultaneously the biggest coward and most decorated hero in the army. He is present everywhere, and right in the middle of the action. While they are fiction they are heavily footnoted and, AFAIK historically accurate.

Fraser has also written some non-fiction.

golfgod

Old 05-12-2009, 01:22 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,461 times
I have always preferred non-fiction over fiction. Once in a while I'll run into a fiction book that looks good but it is pretty rare. I like non-fiction because I can skip to the information I want to read instead of having to read the whole book cover-to-cover, plus I can refer back to it over and over again. A fiction book I can only read from start to finish and not one section here and there, usually. I am more interested in facts than something that is made up, as a rule.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
I read both fiction and non-fiction. It just depends on the subject matter.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:35 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,629 times
Fiction is far superior. Memoirs and Biographies resemble fiction anyway (thank you James Frey) because they are purported to be "true" but the writer only has access to one perspective, if he/she can truly remember it. I do read nonfiction (literary journalism stuff by Schlosser or Ehrenrich) but I treat all nonfiction as merely 1 piece to a larger puzzle.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:44 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
As they say: truth is stranger than fiction.

Some of the characters you read of in true crime books, there's no fiction writer who could create characters like that.

And biographies? Oh dear! Just finishing Jimmmy Swaggart's bio, about the televangilist. His growing up years in rural Louisiana? I could have sworn I was reading about rural India. How someone could have survived that is beyond me!

And that wife of his they called Dragon Lady. Ooooweee! If I had a choice between meeting up with a dangerous gang member in a dark alley, or Frances Swaggart, I'd pick the gang member! When they do an autopsy on here one day, they'll find not only were her bones made of steel, but her teeth as well. Could any fiction writer create a character like her!

Me? Non fiction all the wayyyyyyyyyyyy!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:38 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
So I'm the only one who reads both, with no real preference for one over the other? That's...weird. I thought most hard core readers read both fiction and non equally! My family certainly does.

Up until 7 years ago I read only fiction, but I joined a book club and we read both, so that's what introduced me to the wonders of non.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:20 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times
Yes, LindaGrace.. you are Only fooling!! I only read non fiction...History.. no suprise..but I don't see why people can't enjoy both.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I read and enjoy both.
To choose one exclusively over the other is to miss out on quite a bit, IMHO.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:34 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
I read hundreds of books a year (its called retirement) with fiction accounting for about 90% of my reading.

If fiction can be described as "telling tall tales" some of the "tallest tales" I have read were passed off as Non-Fiction.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books