U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,733,689 times

Advertisements

Anyone on this board read books in a foreign language?

I can speak German,French and of course English and love to read books in German and French.

One of my favorite French books is Un Engagement Très Long By: Sebastian Japrisot.

One of my favorite German books is Eine Billion Dollar by: Andreas Eschbach.

What is your favorite foreign language novel?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:16 PM

169 posts, read 481,268 times
the only foreign language i know is chinese, and there are definitely some fav authors/books, but i can't type chinese

Old 05-12-2009, 08:16 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,912,843 times
I do a lot of translation and work with corporate documents in other languages, so it's hard for me to muster the energy to read for pleasure in other languages that I once had.

They've translated it into English and made a movie, but I really remember reading Der Vorleser in the original German to be quite enjoyable.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:44 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,714,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Anyone on this board read books in a foreign language?

I can speak German,French and of course English and love to read books in German and French.

One of my favorite French books is Un Engagement Très Long By: Sebastian Japrisot.

One of my favorite German books is Eine Billion Dollar by: Andreas Eschbach.

What is your favorite foreign language novel?

Being French I read in French as well as English , I love Japrisot's book but the French title was " Un long dimanche de Fiancailles" ( also one of my favourite movies) , I also really like his " L'Ete Meurtrier" . I am a big fan of Guy de Maupassant and Emile Zola and have devoured and re-devoured all their books. My favourite would be Maupassant's "Nouvelles" and Zola's " La Bete Humaine" and " L'assommoir", " Le Ventre de Paris".

I also like Stendhal ( "Le Rouge et Le Noir"), George Sand "La Mare au Diable", Alexandre Dumas ( both the father and the son though " Le Comte de Monte Cristo" and " La Reine Margot" are possibly my favourite) , anything by Honore de Balzac and Alphonse Daudet ( "Lettres de mon Moulin" in particular) and many more besides.

I am also a big fan of Rimbaud, Beaudelaire and Jacques Prevert on the poetry side.

I used to be fluent in German but sadly no longer but I loved Schiller, Goethe ( "Die Leiden des jungen Werthers " , "Gotz von Berlichingen") ,all of Kafka's works ( though he was Czech he wrote in German also), Brecht ( "Die heilige Johanna der Schlachthöfe", "Furcht und Elend des Dritten Reiches","Mutter Courage und ihre Kinder"," Der aufhaltsame Aufstieg des Arturo Ui" ) Herman Hesse's "Unterm Rad", "Das Glasperlenspiel" springs to mind of German language works I really enjoyed .

Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,825,741 times
I speak Spanish as a second language and years ago when I had the opportunity to speak it every day I read a couple of novels in Spanish--Cien Anos de Soledad and La Tregua come to mind. But it was a challenge then and since I rarely speak it now, it would probably be impossible.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM

11,720 posts, read 18,633,310 times
I had to buy the books in English to succeed in my French Literature courses in college, I am sorry to say.

We were on the quarter system (10 week terms), and for one class we read Emile Zola's The Ladies' Paradise plus had regular assignments from a reader and possibly some other books. It took me so long to get through a chapter that I realized I was never going to make it in time.

I read that excellent novel in English and wrote my paper in French and got an A-.

I had 1 year of high school French and 5 quarters of college French before I got to the lit classes. I was far from fluent (and still am). I could handle Le Petit Prince in the first lit class, but I think that's about 100 pages versus 500!

I am impressed with those of you that read well in multiple languages.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,733,689 times
Thanks ^^

Old 05-14-2009, 03:23 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,240,544 times
I speak Italian, English and Spanish and if the book I want to read is originally written in any of those languages I try to read the original version.
Otherwise as I read my attention is distracted by a curiosity and I constantly ask myself how would each sentence be worded in the original language. Sounds crazy but it has happened in more than one occasion.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:01 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,714,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I speak Italian, English and Spanish and if the book I want to read is originally written in any of those languages I try to read the original version.
Otherwise as I read my attention is distracted by a curiosity and I constantly ask myself how would each sentence be worded in the original language. Sounds crazy but it has happened in more than one occasion.

I agree. I must admit I always find the translations never quite hit the right register somehow and the original language is always vastly superior. Each language has a different rythm and the subtleties just do get lost in translation.

I have done an MSC translation course and know how difficult it is to be truly faithful not just to the spirit of the book ( which is relatively easy) but the actual language where the beauty resides. I would say it is impossible actually. One must not only translate words , but a certain cultural register has to trickle down and yet be seamless. Translators in a way do not get enough credit for what is such a delicate work of craftsmanship.

"Cyrano de Bergerac" is a perfect example. It is possibly the most beautiful book ever written in the French Language and though the translation is able enough , it still lacks the true refinement and simple beauty of the original.

The film with Gerard Depardieu ( my favourite film ) used the best translation by far in my opinion ( by Anthony Burgess) for its subtitles and I spent the film correcting it in my head, and groaning because it missed just so much of the sheer poetry , delicacy and intricacy of language. And his translation is about as good as it's going to get probably.

Shakespeare for example just loses its potency in French. Chekov I am sure is far more beautiful in Russian than in English ( one of my very favourite authors).

But I suppose unless all of us learn to be fluent in all languages, we will ahve to be content with the diluted versions...

Old 06-23-2009, 01:39 PM

10,664 posts, read 8,327,022 times
I read books in English, which is not my native tongue. And of course, I read in French.
I'd like to give it a try in Spanish and Italian but I'm so "rusty" in these languages that I'm afraid not to understand too many things and not enjoy the book, even if it's very good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books