Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times

Advertisements

Often when I finish a really good book, I have trouble finding something to follow it. And it took me forever to finish Anna Karenina...it was soooo good, and I knew what was coming, so didn't want to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,064 times
I felt that way when I read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I go into a panic when I finish a book and have to find another one. Sometimes I think Ive already read all the good books.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:19 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I go into a panic when I finish a book and have to find another one. Sometimes I think Ive already read all the good books.
Okay, I know what you are saying--it's like a small death, the end of something very dear. But really there are so many excellent books-more than 200 years worth. You just need to know how to identify them.

Of course it depends on one's taste--What do you consider a great book?

In my twenties, I discovered that I would love just about anything that was considered a classic--and I read many. Now I search for award winning literature: Man Booker Prize, National Book Award, Pen/Faulkner, Orange Prize, NYT Editors Picks, etc. Websites list the prize winners for several years past. I look up reviews for any book that I think will interest me--go to Amazon.com or used bookstore and order used paperbook version. I'm really astounded at the talented of present day authors.

Always have have a good read waiting for me. (No TV!)

Old 05-22-2009, 09:47 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Ditto, Trudy. I thought I was odd because I would become almost depressed when coming to the end of a truly good book. I'm glad to know I have company in feeling that way.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Whenever I find a really, really good book, towards the end I find myself going into a small panic, that I'll never find another book as equally as exciting to read. I've been known, when finishing up a really exciting book, to slow down to a page or two a day as I wanted the excitement to last as long as possible. And, if I don't find a good replacement, I find myself depressed and anxious.

Does anybody else go through this?
I always have a good supply of books to read as I'm always buying them, but, I do feel like you do after reading a great book. I should know by now that I will read more great books, but I still get that feeling.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
When reading paperbacks, I always check to see how many pages of the actual story are left so that I can pace myself. I have been tripped up before by thinking I had 10 - 20 pages remaining only to have the book end and find a reader's guide and previews to the author's next book taking up the leftover pages.

I agree, if the book is really good, I always try to slow down and savor the final bits.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 PM

22,171 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Whenever I find a really, really good book, towards the end I find myself going into a small panic, that I'll never find another book as equally as exciting to read. I've been known, when finishing up a really exciting book, to slow down to a page or two a day as I wanted the excitement to last as long as possible. And, if I don't find a good replacement, I find myself depressed and anxious.

Does anybody else go through this?
absolutely! i don't want it to end, and the only thing that keeps the disappointment at bay, is looking over at the "books to read" stack waiting for me.

I don't "slow down" reading it, because with a good book I just race through it. But I will take note with excitement the author's name, and hope that there are more books by the author, and next time at the library look for more by that author.

best of all is discovering a lode of books by some new-to-me-just discovered author, and looking forward to reading them all.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
After finishing that exciting bio of Jimmy Swaggart and his DRagon Lady wife, Frances, of course, there went the panic. But now I'm going to devour every bio of all the other famous televangelists, one right after the other. Jimmy and Faye next? Oral Roberts?

And then I finished that exciting bio of that Jewish Dynasty family in Canada, the Reichmann's, and before that, the Jewish Dynasty Guggenheim family, and now I'm to hunt down bio's of all the big real estate developers of the past, like Zeckendorf and the Tishman's of NY, and that should keep me pretty busy over the next year and should lessen the panic attacks. Just keep some in reserve.

Don't alcoholics and drug addicts always keep a hidden supply somewhere
in the house?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
I don't really go into a panic, more like a downer or depression when I have "BECOME" a part of the family, characters and want it to go on and on and not end. Of course I sometimes do have heart palpitations when I am down to 15 or 20 pages to go and hubby decides he wants to talk and talk and talk and I have just got to see how the book is going to end.

I keep a good supply of books ... so I move on to the next one ... that is when I would panic if I didn't have a follow-up book to jump into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books