Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:11 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,211,769 times

Advertisements

I do become a tad bit anxious when finishing a really, really well-written book that has held my interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 AM

88,853 posts, read 85,259,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
I do become a tad bit anxious when finishing a really, really well-written book that has held my interest.
So do I. It's almost depressing sometimes when you finish a really good book, as if a relationship has ended.

On the other hand, I get a sense of anxiety when I'm in the bookstore or library. There are way too many more books to read than time left in my lifespan.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 AM

56 posts, read 220,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
sometimes when I am reading a really good book and really have been enjoying the characters, i feel like I will miss them! sounds weird, but true. not really a panic, just a sense of loss.
I feel the same way! I spend days and weeks reading a really good book, knowing the characters, going through with them on their eternal existence in their world, feeling their emotions and their thoughts and then, the end. They feel so alive in my mind that I miss them when the book's over. I felt this particularly for Fountainhead, Tropic of Cancer, A Fine Balance, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,034,743 times
I have read some old books by authors who hunted down man eating tigers such as Jim Corbet in India that really gave me a sense of what danger is. I also have read some such as WDM Bell who was a old white hunter in africa that made me wander how they live to a older age.The thing that was crazy was they just seemed to think its was great way of living.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:58 PM

16 posts, read 88,447 times
I'm a bit of the opposite... when I near the end of a good book, I speed up to finish it so I can find out what happens. I'm usually optimistic that I'll find a new book that is just as good, if not better, than the one I just finished. Having a positive attitude/outlook makes it easier to find that next book.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:18 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,232,679 times
This is going to sound bazarre - but I don't like finishing them. I have about 20 books (I am not kidding) in a stack by the bed - all of them are within 2 or 3 chapters of being finished. Does anyone else do this? I am embarrased when anyone sees this stack.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:57 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,382,033 times
Yes, but I like P.D. James mysteries and Christie mysteries... and I just re-read them all many times over many years. Luckily I have terrible recall and really don't remember what happened...

Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 AM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
This is going to sound bazarre - but I don't like finishing them. I have about 20 books (I am not kidding) in a stack by the bed - all of them are within 2 or 3 chapters of being finished. Does anyone else do this? I am embarrased when anyone sees this stack.
Not sure whether this is a 'bad thing' or not... some books I read to find out what I need to kniow and move on...

Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 AM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have read some old books by authors who hunted down man eating tigers such as Jim Corbet in India that really gave me a sense of what danger is. I also have read some such as WDM Bell who was a old white hunter in africa that made me wander how they live to a older age.The thing that was crazy was they just seemed to think its was great way of living.
WDM Bell sounds like the adrenaline junkies of today...people who are hooked on extreme sports/activities...like piloting a glider as the glider flies in wind that could slam them into a mountainside...or like the guy who studies bears and ended up being eaten by bears...or the expedition mountain climber...know what I mean?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,227,030 times
It's a relief to see that so many people feel the same way I do! I get sad, I miss the characters, I dream about them, I can't decide what to read next... All of those things! I do tend to re-read a lot of my favorites - but it really isn't ever the same as the first time... This is why I don't read short stories very often - they are over far too soon! I can't take it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books