Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,345,104 times

Advertisements

This happens to me all the time! I thought I was the only one. I wentinto a panic when I was almost done reading the Harry Potter Series and Twilight. I got really upset when I heard that Stephenie Meyer had decided that she probably would not write the other twilight book called Midnight Sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:11 AM

23,278 posts, read 29,140,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
This is going to sound bazarre - but I don't like finishing them. I have about 20 books (I am not kidding) in a stack by the bed - all of them are within 2 or 3 chapters of being finished. Does anyone else do this? I am embarrased when anyone sees this stack.
I wish I could do that, but curiosity always kills the "cats" for me. I have a whole row of books, the best of the best, I plan to read one day, and I'm currently waiting for a "severe drought" when I can turn to one of them and reread one.

But I'm 60 now, and when my memory starts failing me, I may not even remember what that select row of books were about, I'll pick one out, forgot I had read it years ago, read it and after reading it I'll think: Gol darnit!
How long has that exciting book been on that shelf, and I neglected to read it all these years!"

Last edited by tijlover; 06-10-2010 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: add word

Old 06-04-2011, 04:05 PM

963 posts, read 2,414,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Whenever I find a really, really good book, towards the end I find myself going into a small panic, that I'll never find another book as equally as exciting to read. I've been known, when finishing up a really exciting book, to slow down to a page or two a day as I wanted the excitement to last as long as possible. And, if I don't find a good replacement, I find myself depressed and anxious.

Does anybody else go through this?
Almost never.

The exception I will always remember: when I was 22 I read Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov on the very strong recommendation of a good friend. He told me nothing about the book, other that it's structural eccentricities.

It took me nearly 1 month to get through the first half of it. It was clearly a work of massive intellect, and I waas having immense trouble making heads or tales of it - there was just enough going to keep me from putting it down.

And then I remember a sentence, or paragraph, or character action that triggered something like a landslide, and it was so casually presented in the story that I honestly don't know if it was presented - it was something random like a sneeze, or someone tipping over a glass at a party, at the right time, and suddenly the convoluted craziness of the first 150 pages all fell into place, and in that ok now I think I know where this story is headed, and it's somewhere I comepletely would never have imagined, and if I am right, this may be one of the greatest books ever written.

3-4 weeks to get through the first 150 pages. About 3 hours to get through the 2nd. And it is one of the greatest books to have ever been written. I was reeling afterwards - walking around for a week turning over bits of the last 150 pages in my head....

Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 PM

746 posts, read 1,679,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
I felt that way when I read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.
I was scared to read that book. It sat on my nightstand for a year before I touched it.
Once I did, I cursed myself why I hadn't touched it earlier. But it's like anything really. The perfect pasta, the perfect woman, the seemingly endless sunset on that perfect vacation - you never want it to end.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:25 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,650,441 times
When I was younger, kind of. Does being terrified by Stephen King books in the 6th grade count?

Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,138,216 times
I go into a panic before I get to the end of a really good book, because so often, the ending doesn't live up to the expectations. In fact, often, I skim through the last few pages, because I feel that the story has already pretty well wrapped up, and the author is grasping, trying to get out gracefully, like a great song that just fades out at the end.

A few books, though, come to mind that are worth reading just for the elegance of their endings:
Charles Frazier's "Thirteen Moons"
David Lodge's "Deaf Sentence"
Yann Martel's "Life of Pi".

Last edited by jtur88; 06-11-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 AM

65 posts, read 93,158 times
DEFINITELY! I worry that a such a great book will end in disapointment. I want it to never end, afraid that I will never find such a good book again!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,656,905 times
Oh I feel that way also. I loved the Mitford series and I just didn't want it to end...even after eight books. I'm just finishing the Father Tim series and am on the last book...and didn't it turn out to be my least favorite..rats.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,489,754 times
G'morning!

What an interesting question!

I don't go into a panic when finishing a good book because I find that the characters stay with me, rather like good friends in life. I'm prone to re-read a book that I like many times at spaced intervals over the years, but then I do the same with great movies.

I love the Bible, and in particular the psalms, but I have a very short list of novels that I can't do without.

The Captains and the Kings by Taylor Caldwell.
The Saracen Blade by Frank Yerby.
The Giver by Lois Lowry.
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
The Time & Unforeseen Occurrence series (7 novels) by Jesse Leigh Brackstone.

I like other books too, such as the Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis, and The Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee, but they aren't novels, so I like them for other reasons.

I tend to like books that are layered, those that have multiple dimensions to them, and well developed characters are a must. I agree with those of you who feel that it's hard to find good literature nowadays. Oh, well, we always have the classics and our personal favorites, don't we?

Love to all,

Mahrie.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 PM

15,608 posts, read 15,731,295 times
Sort of. Not exactly.

I've been known to slow down as I get farther into a book, hoping to make it last. And I remember my absolutely fury when Steinbeck's King Arthur abruptly ended. There was quite a bit more to the book, and I hadn't realized that it was appendices.

However, I never doubt that I'll (eventually) find something equally good, and I certainly never slow down to a page or two. My slowing down means that instead of reading 100-200 pages, I'll cut it down to maybe 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books