Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 AM

977 posts, read 1,112,093 times

Advertisements

I had to smile when i started reading the OP....because, yes, it sounds kinda familiar. i enjoy reading so much! I usually read fiction, and if it's a good book, i get involved with the chracters and they almost become real to me. My life fades away as I'm caught up in the story, so it's almost a shock when the ending comes..."oh, yes, it's only a book--not real" kind of feeling. And like some of you, i tend to read even faster to get thru it if I'm particularly enjoying it. I have the luxury of time....I can sit down and read a book all the way thru....because I live alone and am retired now. i usually read one in about 3-3 1/2 hrs. (depends on length and degree of difficulty, of course) I especially enjoy mysteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,651,782 times
I used to get sad when I got near the end of a really good book, but then I learned a trick that makes it all better. When I finish, I just start again! I find that there are always details of foreshadowing, concepts, etc that I didn't catch the first time around. I find it quite satisfying to go through it all again while the entire plot is fresh in my mind. Usually by the time I complete my re-read I am ready for a new book, but I know if I read it twice right off the bat, that it will be something I will enjoy re-reading many times in the years to come. Of course I don't do this with every book I read, only the ones that I really enjoyed and did not want to end.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,780,085 times
I wouldn't say I panic, but occasionally I'll read a book that ends far sooner than I'd prefer. But I always have the next book waiting, and I dive right into it.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 AM

531 posts, read 502,950 times
This is pretty much the opposite of my fear, which is that I will never be able to get around to reading all of the fantastic books that I know are out there and that I want to read.

Heck, my to-read list is well over 400 (and growing!), and I read slower than anyone I know.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,181,964 times
If you're in that funk right now, thinking there will never be another great book, go and find Abraham Verghese's "Cutting for Stone". THEN, you will think there will never be another great book.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM

15,619 posts, read 15,759,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
On the other hand, I get a sense of anxiety when I'm in the bookstore or library. There are way too many more books to read than time left in my lifespan.

I'm starting to feel that way, too.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 PM

171 posts, read 312,185 times
When a good book is going I don't panic, but get anxious.

However I don't slow down. I do the exact opposite!! I floor it. Read it as fast as possible without losing the details and tune everything else out. Nothing like bringing on the dread of finishing a book faster. I just simply can't slow burn it and savor. Gotta see how the plot moves and finishes.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:39 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,890,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Whenever I find a really, really good book, towards the end I find myself going into a small panic, that I'll never find another book as equally as exciting to read. I've been known, when finishing up a really exciting book, to slow down to a page or two a day as I wanted the excitement to last as long as possible. And, if I don't find a good replacement, I find myself depressed and anxious.

Does anybody else go through this?
I sure have. When that happens I either go fishing, hunting or for a ride on my motorcycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books