U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:44 PM

19,607 posts, read 23,263,437 times

Advertisements

Whenever I find a really, really good book, towards the end I find myself going into a small panic, that I'll never find another book as equally as exciting to read. I've been known, when finishing up a really exciting book, to slow down to a page or two a day as I wanted the excitement to last as long as possible. And, if I don't find a good replacement, I find myself depressed and anxious.

Does anybody else go through this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 08:48 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,025,030 times
I will find an author I like and go through all of his/her books. When I am done, I am lost for a long time. I hate not having a new book waiting on deck. I really liked "The Hour I First Believed" but I know its going to be another however many years before Wally Lamb writes another book.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:24 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,107,771 times
Oh, I definitely save the last few pages of a really excellent book. I'll put off finishing it for a couple of days - read a magazine instead, that sort of thing.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:59 PM

133 posts, read 529,775 times
Sometimes, when I'm reading a really good one, but I know I gotta get up at 4:30 or 5 in the A.M. for work, I have to force mysef to put the book down. More often than not I'll dream about the book and it'll wake my ass up every hour or so.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 AM

4,535 posts, read 3,654,300 times
Good books are rare, and good readers more so. I've experienced those rare times that I have found myself a little reluctant to finish a really good book. Why? I can only guess that it has something to do with the fact that the good ones are so few and far between, savoring the last as though it were a candy bar makes sense when we know the rarity of good literary works.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:26 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,790,636 times
sometimes when I am reading a really good book and really have been enjoying the characters, i feel like I will miss them! sounds weird, but true. not really a panic, just a sense of loss.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:32 AM

4,538 posts, read 8,405,775 times
A few years ago I quit smoking with help from Edmond Dantès Actually I read The Count of Monte Cristo over two weeks time, started on a Sunday afternoon and finished two Sundays later. The unabridged Penguin Classics edition with translation by Robin Buss. This book so pulled me into the story that it provided a very suitable distraction from my cigarette habit (along with the patch) and I got through the first two, hard weeks of quitting without much trouble. Unfortunately, I felt bad about missing all the places and characters when finished and felt a little lost for a few days

Amazon.com: The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics): Alexandre Dumas père, Robin Buss: Books

Old 05-17-2009, 03:39 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,107,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
sometimes when i am reading a really good book and really have been enjoying the characters, i feel like i will miss them! Sounds weird, but true. Not really a panic, just a sense of loss.
+1.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:51 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,699,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
A few years ago I quit smoking with help from Edmond Dantès Actually I read The Count of Monte Cristo over two weeks time, started on a Sunday afternoon and finished two Sundays later. The unabridged Penguin Classics edition with translation by Robin Buss. This book so pulled me into the story that it provided a very suitable distraction from my cigarette habit (along with the patch) and I got through the first two, hard weeks of quitting without much trouble. Unfortunately, I felt bad about missing all the places and characters when finished and felt a little lost for a few days

Amazon.com: The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics): Alexandre Dumas père, Robin Buss: Books
Excellent story. You should start a literary programme for addiction rehabilitation... Book-Clubs for those with any issue like smoking, over-eating etc...
Papa Dumas would have been flattered I am sure.

I love "The Count of Monte Cristo". Edmond Dantes is a great hero of mine, and I can see myself going his way should revenge ever be an option in my life ! He re-defined the definition of revenge and accomplished it so comprehensively and with such Panache. A Man after my own heart. Don't get mad, get even. Very, very even...

I do always feel a sense of loss when coming at the end of a great book , especially contemporary ones as I do find hard to find "current" books I actually like and enjoy.

I have learnt over the years that it is immensely preferable to re-read books you have enjoyed over and over than books which don't "speak to you" so I have a huge personal library of books I love that I can dip into whenever I feel like it.

A truly great book will always give away something different with each reading .

But I think when you have experienced that first rush of excitement and pure pleasure given by a new book, one almost feels a sense of loss and mourning and the anxiety that it will be hard to re-capture that perfect moment.
It is a bit like the first flush of falling in Love.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 AM

2,377 posts, read 4,994,006 times
Very well said, Mooseketeer
And I'm happy to hear that I am not the only person who feels this way about getting to the end of a great book. I thought I was a little wierd.. well I am, but you know what I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or