Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,981 times

Advertisements

Aside from Animal Farm and the Peanuts books, I can't recall ever reading anything that I liked where animals were protagonists. But then again, I have always tended to read non-fiction much more than fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:27 PM

321 posts, read 853,467 times
my daughter has me hooked on the "Warrior" series about the cat clans.

Albert Payson Terhune wrote a wonderful series about the collies of Sunnybank - I know the title of the first two books: Lad a dog and Further Adventures of Lad. These are true stories and they are funny and heartbreaking but well worth reading.

Australian author Elyne Mitchell wrote a series of books about the Silver Brumbies - Thowra, Storm, Yarraman, The Brolga, Baringa, Kalina, Moon and Golden. These books aren't easy to find but they are well worth reading if you can.find them. The horses communicate in much the same way as the horses in Black Beauty but because they are wild they mostly use their intelligence to outwit men who are hunting them or other stallions seeking to defend their herds.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM

10 posts, read 17,063 times
Default Thank you!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
After reading all of these, I actually remembered another one from sixth grade that was one of my favories, and that I had forgotten about: Rascal. It's about a boy and an abandoned raccoon that he hand raises; I might just have to read it again.
I have been searching for that book and couldn't remember the name. I saw your post and it immediately hit me. Finally, after 45 years - I remember the book. Now, I have to read it!!

Old 08-28-2014, 07:47 PM

79 posts, read 117,281 times
Archy and Mehitabel,
although Archy is a cockroach, Mehitabel is a cat.
It is a collection of newspaper columns in book form.

Archy and Mehitabel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Originally Posted by Bansidhbabe
Quote:
Albert Payson Terhune wrote a wonderful series about the collies of Sunnybank - I know the title of the first two books: Lad a dog and Further Adventures of Lad. These are true stories and they are funny and heartbreaking but well worth reading.

OMG,I loved those books and the movie shown on TCM-Lad:A Dog!

Old 09-28-2014, 01:27 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
Maybe I missed this series being mentioned but what about James Herriot, the British vet who wrote All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Creatures Great and Small, and All Things Wise and Wonderful. Wonderful reading at the time as I recall.

Watership Down was great. I think I have that kingdom living under my back porch.

As a kid I adored all the animal stories by Thornton W. Burgess - Old Mother West Wind and all her animal friends. There were tons of those books and I think I read them all.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:55 AM

The Cat Who Came in from the Cold by Deric Longden

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron,Bret Witter

Big Red: The Story of a Champion Irish Setter and a Trapper's Son Who Grew Up Together, Roaming the...by Jim Kjelgaard

Man O'War by Walter Farley

King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry

Born to Trot by Marguerite Henry and Wesley Dennis

Brighty of the Grand Canyon (Marguerite Henry Horseshoe Library) by Marguerite Henry

Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence--and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process by Irene Pepperberg

Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The Cat Who Came in from the Cold by Deric Longden

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron,Bret Witter

Big Red: The Story of a Champion Irish Setter and a Trapper's Son Who Grew Up Together, Roaming the...by Jim Kjelgaard

Man O'War by Walter Farley

King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry

Born to Trot by Marguerite Henry and Wesley Dennis

Brighty of the Grand Canyon (Marguerite Henry Horseshoe Library) by Marguerite Henry

Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence--and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process by Irene Pepperberg
ILA, you and I had pretty much identical reading interests as kids. I read every Jim Kjelgaard, Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry book I could find in the library, along with every other animal-themed book I could get my hands on. As mentioned above, I loved the Albert Payson Terhune series about collies. And of course Old Yeller and Savage Sam by Fred Gipson. Where the Red Fern Grows, The Yearling, Sounder, Black Beauty, Call of the Wild--as long as the book featured an animal, I was happy to read it. Along the way, I encountered a fair amount of good literature.

When I was still in elementary school my mother gave me a copy of The Red Pony by John Steinbeck for Christmas. I can only guess that she grabbed it because it featured a horse but didn't know what it was about. It's a tough read for an adult, much less a kid, and there's certainly not a happy ending. Still, it introduced me to Steinbeck, so it wasn't all bad.

I'll have to add Alex & Me to my TBR list--sounds like something I'd like.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
ILA, you and I had pretty much identical reading interests as kids. I read every Jim Kjelgaard, Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry book I could find in the library, along with every other animal-themed book I could get my hands on. As mentioned above, I loved the Albert Payson Terhune series about collies. And of course Old Yeller and Savage Sam by Fred Gipson. Where the Red Fern Grows, The Yearling, Sounder, Black Beauty, Call of the Wild--as long as the book featured an animal, I was happy to read it. Along the way, I encountered a fair amount of good literature.

When I was still in elementary school my mother gave me a copy of The Red Pony by John Steinbeck for Christmas. I can only guess that she grabbed it because it featured a horse but didn't know what it was about. It's a tough read for an adult, much less a kid, and there's certainly not a happy ending. Still, it introduced me to Steinbeck, so it wasn't all bad.

I'll have to add Alex & Me to my TBR list--sounds like something I'd like.
Oh yes,I read all of those as well,loved Jack London too. So many sad stories in those just like in animal films,as I grew older I started paying more attention to the synopsis and avoiding those that sounded like 'tear-jerkers',lol! I just read one about a hearing-ear helper dog-a Corgi, that was a delight,you might enjoy it....The Heart Listens by Carolyn McSparren
http://www.amazon.com/The-Heart-List...2087658&sr=1-2.

I had seen and been wowed by the African Gray parrot-Alex on TV so when I saw the book I knew I would love it and I did.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Oh yes,I read all of those as well,loved Jack London too. So many sad stories in those just like in animal films,as I grew older I started paying more attention to the synopsis and avoiding those that sounded like 'tear-jerkers',lol! I just read one about a hearing-ear helper dog-a Corgi, that was a delight,you might enjoy it....The Heart Listens by Carolyn McSparren
http://www.amazon.com/The-Heart-List...2087658&sr=1-2.

I had seen and been wowed by the African Gray parrot-Alex on TV so when I saw the book I knew I would love it and I did.
I'll add the Corgi book to my list as well. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books