U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2009, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,228,493 times
Reputation: 465

Advertisements

Did a quick scan and couldn't find anything threads on this...I apologize if there some.
What is your favorite author and what type of books does he/she write.

I am looking for new authors as I've exhausted the ones I like.
I like:
James Patterson/mystery murders
Kay Hooper/mystery murders
Dean Koontz/mystery murders/horror---although some of his are getting old to me.

too many to mention...but I'm sure there's some great author out there who I haven't even found yet!...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
3,849 posts, read 3,389,847 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Did a quick scan and couldn't find anything threads on this...I apologize if there some.
What is your favorite author and what type of books does he/she write.

I am looking for new authors as I've exhausted the ones I like.
I like:
James Patterson/mystery murders
Kay Hooper/mystery murders
Dean Koontz/mystery murders/horror---although some of his are getting old to me.

too many to mention...but I'm sure there's some great author out there who I haven't even found yet!...
Never heard of Kay Hooper, but Patterson and Koontz are on my list along with:
Stephen King - hard to categorize because his books seem to run the gamut
David Baldacci - mystery with a political bent
Jonathan Kellerman - mystery from a psychologist's point of view
Clive Barker - fantasy/horror
Peter Straub - fantasy/horror (got into his books after reading a couple he co-wrote with Stephen King - The Talisman and Black House)
Harlan Coben - mystery
Clive Cusslar - political/historical mystery

Too many more to list! When it comes to fiction, can't say I've ever read anything I didn't truly enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,894 posts, read 15,912,648 times
Reputation: 62679
Jodi Picoult. Based on your list of fav authors, sherryturner, you will love Jodi Picoult.

Whatever you do, do not read "19 Minutes" first. It's a tough book and it might turn you off of Picoult. Read "Change of Heart" first.

Another excellent author of mysteries is Simon Beckett. He has not written a lot of books yet but there is no mistaking his style. Good stuff. The bad guy is always a surprise. Truly good reading.

Jonathan Kellerman's book are always good as are his wife's, Faye Kellerman. I suggest "The Devil's Waltz" as a starting point of Jonathan's books.

My favorite author is Leon Uris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
3,849 posts, read 3,389,847 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Jodi Picoult. Based on your list of fav authors, sherryturner, you will love Jodi Picoult.

Whatever you do, do not read "19 Minutes" first. It's a tough book and it might turn you off of Picoult. Read "Change of Heart" first.

Another excellent author of mysteries is Simon Beckett. He has not written a lot of books yet but there is no mistaking his style. Good stuff. The bad guy is always a surprise. Truly good reading.

Jonathan Kellerman's book are always good as are his wife's, Faye Kellerman. I suggest "The Devil's Waltz" as a starting point of Jonathan's books.

My favorite author is Leon Uris.
Actually I got into reading Jonathan Kellerman when a friend gave me a copy of "Twisted". And it's been so long since I read anything by Leon Uris, I've completely forgotten what it might have been! I do recognize the name, just for the life of me cannot think of the titles of any of his books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,894 posts, read 15,912,648 times
Reputation: 62679
Uris wrote Exodus, Mila 18, Trinity, Mitla Pass and quite a few others. Trinity is about the "troubles" in Northern Ireland.

The others are about Jewish history and Israel. He died a few years back. I sure miss having a new Uris book to read.

Kellerman has writen so many that I can't even begin to name them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,746 posts, read 7,999,596 times
Reputation: 55870
My favorite author is Tom Clancy. For those not familiar with him, he mostly writes spy novels. Many of his books have been made into popular movies such as "The Hunt for Red October", "Patriot Games", and "Clear and Present Danger". The movies are good but the books are even better. One thing that strikes me about Clancy's writing is how believable his plots are. I read "Debt of Honor" and then "Executive Orders" a couple of years before the terror attacks 9-11-2001 and it was striking at how many national security vulnerabilities that Clancy laid out in his story lines were evident on that day. I read once that after he wrote "The Hunt for Red October" the CIA actually called him in for questioning. Apparently his ficticious story in that book was simliar to something that had actually happened and I'm sure they wanted to know if he had somehow acquired classified information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,894 posts, read 15,912,648 times
Reputation: 62679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
My favorite author is Tom Clancy. For those not familiar with him, he mostly writes spy novels. Many of his books have been made into popular movies such as "The Hunt for Red October", "Patriot Games", and "Clear and Present Danger". The movies are good but the books are even better. One thing that strikes me about Clancy's writing is how believable his plots are. I read "Debt of Honor" and then "Executive Orders" a couple of years before the terror attacks 9-11-2001 and it was striking at how many national security vulnerabilities that Clancy laid out in his story lines were evident on that day. I read once that after he wrote "The Hunt for Red October" the CIA actually called him in for questioning. Apparently his ficticious story in that book was simliar to something that had actually happened and I'm sure they wanted to know if he had somehow acquired classified information.
Since you like Clancy you might also like Martin Cruz Smith. He's written a few books that are really good reading. I'd recommend Gorky Park if you have not already read it.


"Dear old Abilene High.
Grand old Abilene High........"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,746 posts, read 7,999,596 times
Reputation: 55870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Since you like Clancy you might also like Martin Cruz Smith. He's written a few books that are really good reading. I'd recommend Gorky Park if you have not already read it.


"Dear old Abilene High.
Grand old Abilene High........"
I've never read anything by Martin Cruz Smith but I do remember seeing "Gorky Park" in bookstores so I'll have to check that out!

I assume from your quote above that you went to Abilene High. My mom graduated from there (I graduated from Cooper High)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,894 posts, read 15,912,648 times
Reputation: 62679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I've never read anything by Martin Cruz Smith but I do remember seeing "Gorky Park" in bookstores so I'll have to check that out!

I assume from your quote above that you went to Abilene High. My mom graduated from there (I graduated from Cooper High)
Yes, Abilene High for me and Cooper for my sister. Many years ago.

My favorite Tom Clancy book is "Cardinal of the Kremlin." Either Clancy or Smith could have written that one. Their plot work and character development are very similar. I think you will like Smith's books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,228,493 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Never heard of Kay Hooper, but Patterson and Koontz are on my list along with:
Stephen King - hard to categorize because his books seem to run the gamut
David Baldacci - mystery with a political bent
Jonathan Kellerman - mystery from a psychologist's point of view
Clive Barker - fantasy/horror
Peter Straub - fantasy/horror (got into his books after reading a couple he co-wrote with Stephen King - The Talisman and Black House)
Harlan Coben - mystery
Clive Cusslar - political/historical mystery

Too many more to list! When it comes to fiction, can't say I've ever read anything I didn't truly enjoy.

Hi!...thanks for the list.
If you like Kellerman,Patterson, and Koontz...you'd like Hooper. I ran into her books by accident but after I read one, I read them all.
Think I'll try Harlan Coban..
Thanks again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top