Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

Nineteenth Century Ireland: The Search for Stability by D. George Boyce, a British historian. For those interested in how the present-day situation of Ireland, Northern Ireland and England developed, this is the book. Despite the title, the book narrates and analyzes events up to 1923 - the logical end of 19th century developments. He is a serious writer of history, and makes his points with citations from publications and speeches of the era, and he moves meticulously from the top of the social scale to the bottom, and through Anglican, Dissenter and Catholics views. It is a marvelous accomplishment, as he carefully threads through the social and political labyrinth of these decades with a dispassion and evenhandedness that is refreshing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 07:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Has UNBROKEN BEEN MENTIONED? WWII biography of Louie Zampergini, one of the bravest and resilient men you would ever know. It is written by same author who wrote Seabiscuit. I'm a woman with no real interest in military but I do love biographies and this one has so much action in it. Don't Google him, as it will tell you too much about his story. I enjoyed being surprised as I read it. A great read.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:55 AM

449 posts, read 516,886 times
I'm currently reading The Disappearing Spoon and Other True Tales of Madness, Love and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements.
Sounds dry and boring? It is not. I'm typically not a NonFiction reader, but the last few months I've been stuck to Nonfiction. This book does not disappoint. The author, Sam Keen, goes through each element (carbon, neon, etc..) and shows how they play their parts in human history, finance, mythology, war, arts, poison, etc..
This book is not stuffy at all. It's written with each element getting a chapter about the elements discovery, uses , etc. Very captivating and an easy, informative read.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
Fed Ed by Allen Quist

America's Schools: The Battleground for Freedom by Allen Quist

Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin

Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky

You're Teaching My Child What? by Miriam Grossman, M.D.

Que*ring Elementary Education by Kevin Jennings

After the Ball: How America Will Overcome its Fear & Hatred of Gays through the Media by Kirk Madsen

The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America by Charlotte Iserbyt

The Marketing of Evil by David Kupelian

The ACLU vs America by ?

Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg

Whoever Controls the Schools Rules the World by Gary DeMar

Eye opening Books!

(Always looking for more Political Read Recommendations from either Leftist or Right Wing perspective )

Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
In January I found a few more nonfiction books that I think are very interesting. Let me say, however, that they are of a secularist nature.

Why We Believe What We Believe: Uncovering Our Biological Need for Meaning, Spirituality, and Truth by Andrew Newberg.
I thought this was a fascinating book outlining Newberg's research as a neuroscientist. He observes patients' brains during prayer, meditation and a speaking in tongues experience. He performs scans of patients during these activities and analyzes the results.

The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule by Michael Shermer.
A nonreligious view of morality. He briefly discusses the concept of being good with believing in a deity, but mostly the book focuses on the evolutionary reasons behind morality and why it exists.

Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism by Susan Jacoby.
Just what it sounds like. It feels like a look at American history through the eyes of the nonreligious beginning with Thomas Paine and founders to present day. She talks about people marginalized in present day history books, or those, like Elizabeth Cady Stanton, who are only remembered for one aspect or movement.

These are the 3 latest reads that I would recommend to others.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Teach yourself Perl

Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times

Great book. Funny at times and also gives great insight on what the Chinese people think of Americans.

Ever wonder how gangs run and what drives them? A great read.

Snarkie? yes. Rude? at times. Funny and well written? hell yea!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:08 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
The Last NON fiction I read was What's the matter with Kansas by Thomas Frank......

A thought provoking read as to why so many vote against their own self interest, and definitely still relevant to today's political climate.

Yes, definitely. I find myself referencing it many times in conversations with others. It was relevant when written, and is probably even moreso now.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
"The Only Thing Worth Dying For - How Eleven Green Berets Forged a New Afghanistan" by Eric Blehm

You will never forget these men.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM

385 posts, read 859,238 times
No Price to Great by Lee Solomon

Great true story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books