Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,904 posts, read 3,975,474 times
Reputation: 2375

Advertisements

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee - Dee Brown (settling of the west and the atrocities inflicted on the native american tribes)
Blood & Thunder - Hampton Sides (settling of the west)
FDR - Jean Edward Smith
The Longest Winter - Alex Kershaw (battle of the bulge)
Best and the Brightest - Halberstam (vietnam)
The Teammates - Halberstam (details the long friendship of ted williams, johnny pesky, dom dimaggio and bobby doerr)

Last edited by RedSoxFanGoingWest; 02-15-2011 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: added some books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,612 posts, read 12,802,779 times
Reputation: 3132
Do cookbooks count?

Mind you sometimes, depending on the author, some of the dishes read more like fiction than real life LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 09:47 PM
 
169 posts, read 523,734 times
Reputation: 126
Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan. If you like Three Cups of Tea, you'd like this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 PM
 
2,319 posts, read 4,781,518 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Do cookbooks count?

Mind you sometimes, depending on the author, some of the dishes read more like fiction than real life LOL
Sure, why not? They're nonfiction, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,539 posts, read 21,162,297 times
Reputation: 16936
Sadly it dissapeared in the last big horrible move when I lost all my stuff in storage, but I had a cookbook put together by the women of Terensthad (spelling is probably wrong) the "model" ghetto the Nazi's created to show the world they were not murders. It was a cookbook, containing the remembered recipies of mostly eastern european origion, recipes people who were starving remember and wrote to remember the joy of it. It also had poems and drawings and stories which are heartbreaking. Of all the books I lost when storage at my collection, the memiours and diaries and books like that, SO hard to replace are the most missed.

If I can remember the name will probably see if its on Amazon and get another copy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 PM
 
3,681 posts, read 6,254,386 times
Reputation: 1515
"Speechless: Silencing the Christians," by Rev. Donald E. Wildmon with Foreward by Ann Coulter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
10,194 posts, read 17,735,000 times
Reputation: 13903
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Sadly it dissapeared in the last big horrible move when I lost all my stuff in storage, but I had a cookbook put together by the women of Terensthad (spelling is probably wrong) the "model" ghetto the Nazi's created to show the world they were not murders. It was a cookbook, containing the remembered recipies of mostly eastern european origion, recipes people who were starving remember and wrote to remember the joy of it. It also had poems and drawings and stories which are heartbreaking. Of all the books I lost when storage at my collection, the memiours and diaries and books like that, SO hard to replace are the most missed.

If I can remember the name will probably see if its on Amazon and get another copy.
Is this it?
Amazon.com: In Memory's Kitchen : A Legacy from the Women of Terezin (9781568219028): Cara De Silva: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,972 posts, read 7,158,907 times
Reputation: 7224
"11th Month 11th Day 11th Hour" by Joseph Persico. It's about the week leading up to the Armistice of WW1. Even though both sides knew the war was over, generals kept right on sending young men to be slaughtered, especially the Allies. A truly horrifying war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Quakertown, Pa., USA
385 posts, read 856,338 times
Reputation: 633
No Price To Great by Lee Solomon
very good book about immigrating to the U.S.A., a true story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 07:31 PM
 
2,319 posts, read 4,781,518 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
"11th Month 11th Day 11th Hour" by Joseph Persico. It's about the week leading up to the Armistice of WW1. Even though both sides knew the war was over, generals kept right on sending young men to be slaughtered, especially the Allies. A truly horrifying war.
Just added it to my list! Thanks for sharing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top