U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:58 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,711,317 times

Advertisements

I just finished "The Meadow", James Galvin's wonderful recollections of life in remote Wyoming in the middle of the 20th century, which today seems like a million years ago.

Another essential read about life in America in the 20th Century is James Agee's "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men", containing Walker Evan's amazing photographs of the Depression South.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 11:30 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,238,911 times
I've just finished "The Winter of Our Disconnect" by Susan Maushart and at every page I kept thinking that every parent of teenagers should read it.

It is the journal of an American single mother who lives in Australia with her 3 teenage children and her decision to remove all technological gadgets (computer, tv, ipods, wii, etc.) from their home for 6 months.

She alternates the everyday journal with statistics and results from different studies on the effects of too much technology on teenagers. The ending was a bit disappointing as she did not go into great details on what happened in the long term after the experiment but it was still a good and interesting read very compelling and informative.

Here is a link to one of the many reviews I found on the book.

The Winter of Our Disconnect: How Three Totally Wired Teenagers (and a Mother Who Slept with Her iPhone)Pulled the Plug on Their Technology and Lived to Tell the Tale | KurzweilAI

Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM

6,044 posts, read 7,050,424 times
The thread about how we choose books we read, reminded me of this little gem of some years ago: Salvation on Sand Mountain by Dennis Covington. He explores the snake-handing culture in Appalachia. I can't say I was convinced to start handling snakes but the author actually handles a snake during a service.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,606,369 times
I really thought I had posted this but a search does not indicate tht-- PREDICTABLY IRRATIONAL by Dan Ariely was a very easy to read very interesting book about how we make decisions, marketing, perceptions etc.
Kind of like FREAKANOMICS which is also a good non -fiction read.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 AM

13,510 posts, read 15,373,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The thread about how we choose books we read, reminded me of this little gem of some years ago: Salvation on Sand Mountain by Dennis Covington. He explores the snake-handing culture in Appalachia. I can't say I was convinced to start handling snakes but the author actually handles a snake during a service.
It is a gem, but its about belief and faith as much as it is about those specific to the snake-handling christians.

While the image of the sound of rattlers coming from a box in the front of the church is chilling, it is no worse than the sound of lunacy and hate that comes out of many pulpits in churches that don't keep a box of snakes up front.

People will embrace all kinds of madness in the name of religious faith.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM

536 posts, read 1,305,551 times
I recommend Angelhead, by Greg Bottoms. Not sure what he's written since, but this, his debut book about his brother's descent into paranoid schizophrenia, is one of my favourite reads the last 10 years.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 PM

26 posts, read 43,128 times
Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present by Harriet A. Washington

Old 04-17-2011, 04:50 PM

5,503 posts, read 4,810,984 times
Gore Vidal's Lincoln...although a historical-fiction, it is very informative, and good read nonetheless.

Contract on America (The Mafia murder of President John F. Kennedy) by David E. Scheim.

Fatal Shore (The epic of Australia's founding) by Robert Hughes.

For true crime:
Green River Killer by Carlton smith & Tomas Guillen

Chasing the Devil (When the Green River Killer was finally apprehended) by Sheriff David Reichert.

NDE
Return From Tommorow by George G. Ritchie, M.D.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM

14,603 posts, read 20,416,061 times
The blackest bird by Joel Rose . absoloutly wonderful book and def murder mystery .I checked it out of the library many months ago and did finish it and it has to be a def on my list of faves .

Old 04-21-2011, 10:41 PM

5,441 posts, read 4,666,678 times
The book by David H. Freedman titled: "Wrong: Why experts* keep failing us--and how to know when not to trust them." A must-read for everyone who wants to know the problems and biases in many of the studies we hear about on the internet and media.

Also PREDICTABLY IRRATIONAL by Dan Ariely, which another poster recommended. Also very informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or