Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 08:00 PM

87,782 posts, read 83,497,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. For a writer it's invaluable, but I also think that it has great ideas and reminders for anyone.

And pretty much anything by Bill Bryson. I reread The Mother Tongue at least once a year and A Walk in the Woods is hilarious.
I second that. Yes, a non-writer would enjoy it and be able to apply it to whatever s/he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:39 AM

37,704 posts, read 40,698,162 times
Here are some more:

Intellectuals and Society by Thomas Sowell

"Those whose careers are built on the creation and dissemination of ideas — the intellectuals — have played a role in many societies out of all proportion to their numbers. Whether that role has, on balance, made those around them better off or worse off is one of the key questions of our times."

Intellectuals and Society - Thomas Sowell - National Review Online

The Numerati by Stephen Baker

About the people who collect data on us every day without us even knowing it so they can manipulate our behavior (what we buy, how we vote, who we love). It is NOT written in research-speak.

Miles From Nowhere by Dayton Duncan

About people who live way off the beaten path.

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Barlett

About a book thief and the rare book dealer who pursues him. This is not a thief who puts books down his pants but one with an organized system of theft trickery and one who steals for the love of books, not to resell stolen property for a profit. Gives good insight into the world of rare book collecting.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 PM

220 posts, read 280,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Oh I have this on the wait list at the library--a friend suggested it and I had never heard of it.

I just finished the Andre Agassi autobio OPEN. It is different because it is so not what I expected--a parade of feats getting to the top and lots of self-important revelations. Rather it is his perspective from a pedestrian rough around the edges kid who was forced into greatness. And one does wonder at the end if he thinks it was all worth it.
I recently read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I really enjoyed it, and I hope you do too!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:16 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,111,772 times
I've really got to keep a note pad handy...there's so many titles here that have sparked my curiosity!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 PM

92 posts, read 118,440 times
Glenn beck's arguing with idiots-very good book.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 AM

14,772 posts, read 17,009,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
Helter Skelter.

Written by Vincent Bugliosi, who prosecuted the Manson clan. A friend told me that I would be hooked after the first paragraph. He was right. You won't be able to put it down.
I tried to read that when I was around 15 - too young (the cover scared me!) will try again though ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. For a writer it's invaluable, but I also think that it has great ideas and reminders for anyone.

And pretty much anything by Bill Bryson. I reread The Mother Tongue at least once a year and A Walk in the Woods is hilarious.
I love Bill Bryson - DownUnder (I think it was published "A sunburned country in the US) is scarily accurate & hilarious.

I also highly recommend; A short History of Nearly Everything.

Malcom Gladwell's books are interesting - Outliers, tipping point

Patti Smith's story "Just Kids"
about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe

At the moment I am reading "Long Walk to Freedom" by Nelson Mandela ... so far it is intriguing

Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM

87,782 posts, read 83,497,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I tried to read that when I was around 15 - too young (the cover scared me!) will try again though ...

I love Bill Bryson - DownUnder (I think it was published "A sunburned country in the US) is scarily accurate & hilarious.

I also highly recommend; A short History of Nearly Everything.

Malcom Gladwell's books are interesting - Outliers, tipping point

Patti Smith's story "Just Kids"
about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe

At the moment I am reading "Long Walk to Freedom" by Nelson Mandela ... so far it is intriguing
I was around 15 when I first read Helter Skelter! I did scare me...but I enjoyed it for that reason.

Read Blink and Tipping Point--haven't read Outliers yet.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 PM

5,250 posts, read 4,629,799 times
I've read some great bios of authors and of those not so well known folks who nonetheless are very interesting and have led very different lives. I won't spoil it for you by listing my fav's but look around the used bookstores to find those unusual bios.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,901,258 times
I love non-fiction. It's usually what I read. Some of my favorites (sorry if these have all been mentioned):

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs
Sidewalk by Mitchell Duneier
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,788,128 times
The Last NON fiction I read was What's the matter with Kansas by Thomas Frank......

A thought provoking read as to why so many vote against their own self interest, and definitely still relevant to today's political climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books