Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times

Advertisements

I just finished "Night" by elie Wiesel about his time in the nazi concentration camps. he was 15/16 at the time. It is a quick read at just over 100 pages. reads like a fiction tale, but he lived it. he is going to be the commencement speaker at our son's college next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I just finished "Night" by elie Wiesel about his time in the nazi concentration camps. he was 15/16 at the time. It is a quick read at just over 100 pages. reads like a fiction tale, but he lived it. he is going to be the commencement speaker at our son's college next month.
Wow, I would love to hear him speak. I read Night for the first time last year. It kept me awake for a night or two.

I plan to read other books of his also.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
I finished reading Vidal's Inventing a Nation last week. He tells the more-or-less chronological story of the founding of the country. It focused more on events after 1776, once Washington was president and beyond. I really enjoyed it.

I also listened to Storm from the East by Milton Viorst. I know very little about the Middle East or the historic conflicts of Islam and Christianity during the last 500 years so it was a lot of new info for me. Also, because it was an audio book, I know I didn't absorb everything, but it was very fascinating.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:33 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I'm reading an interesting one now, something a little different for me:

If a Pirate I Must Be by Richard Sanders

It's the story of Bartholomew Roberts who after his death became better known as Black Bart. They had rules. They had elections. They had their rituals. They shared their spoils based on written booty sharing rules. They did NOT make people walk the plank. That happened several years later. They marooned people or put them in front of a firing squad. They had disability compensation. Seriously, you lose a limb, you get extra compensation plus you get to keep your job/a job as long as you live.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,990 times
Here are a few of my favorite non-fiction reads:

Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The Wee Mad Road: A midlife escape to the Scottish Highlands by Jack and Barbara Maloney

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown

Pau Hana: Plantation Life and Labor in Hawaii, 1835-1920 by Ronald Takaki

The Betrayal of Liliuokalani: Last Queen of Hawaii 1838-1917 by Helena G. Allen

Open: An Autobiography by Andre Agassi

Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet Boxed Set by Benjamin Hoff

Old 06-25-2011, 09:23 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Humility by Andrew Murray

The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer

Pursuing Holiness in the Lord by Jonathan Edwards

Justification and Regeneration by Charles Leiter

Because the Time is Near by John MacArthur

The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer

Smith Wigglesworth - The Complete Collection of His Life Teachings

The Anointed Life by Charles Spurgeon

Old 06-01-2013, 07:28 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I know there were a few of these non fiction threads- so i arbitrarily picked this one to bring back to life
I would add-

Omnivore's Dilemma (Pollan)

Walk in the Woods (Bryson)
I know I already posted about Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely but I still have to recommend it again.

and 2 very new books most impressed with-great easy reads with lots of moments where you think hmmmmm kind of like a seinfeld episode

Dandelion Hunter foraging the urban wilderness which I read a month ago
and Happy Money which I am currently reading.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:14 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Thank you for bringing this thread back to life.

2 of my recent non fiction that I enjoyed are "Tree Tops" by Susan Cheever, the daughter of the writer John Cheever and "No More Words" by Reeve Lindbergh, the youngest daughter of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh. This book focuses on her mother. Reeve also wrote "Under A Wing" which is about growing up in the Lindbergh household. I loved all of these books.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:05 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I know there were a few of these non fiction threads- so i arbitrarily picked this one to bring back to life
I would add-

Omnivore's Dilemma (Pollan)
That one was good. Thanks for reviving this thread.
My personal fave was "The Botany of Desire" (the history of humans' relationships with 4 plants:
the apple, the tulip, marijuana, and the potato) by Pollan (2001).

Old 06-01-2013, 06:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Outliers

Periodic Tales

No Higher Honor

E=mc2

The Education of a Bodybuilder

Drop Dead Healthy

The Tennis Partner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books