Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:48 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,447,270 times

Advertisements

I finished it.
I really enjoyed it and found it totally engrossing.
Some parts of it really upset me, and the end left too much hanging.
I sure hope GRRM doesn't make us wait six years for the next one.
Maybe with all the success of the HBO show he will be energized to write faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:40 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,591,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I totally agree. I only have about 50 pages left.
By this point in the story, I truly pity Theon.
I pitied him in the beginning of DWD! When I realized who he was. I think Theon has redeeming qualities for sure. Without trying to sound chiche, it shows you that they are all just people. No one is pure evil or pure good in the book. They all fear pain/death... even the Mountain (scariest character I could think of!).

Old 08-15-2011, 03:26 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,591,246 times
Why is it that Mr Martin describes so many people as having rheumy/watery eyes? Is there something about the climate that makes so many people's eyes water? Or does he just really enjoy the word rheumy? Usually it's older people being described this way... what's the deal?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 AM

22,850 posts, read 28,094,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Why is it that Mr Martin describes so many people as having rheumy/watery eyes? Is there something about the climate that makes so many people's eyes water? Or does he just really enjoy the word rheumy? Usually it's older people being described this way... what's the deal?
Heh. Good catch!

All authors have their little quirks. This must be one of Martin's.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:04 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,910,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

All authors have their little quirks. This must be one of Martin's.
"It is known."

Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,210,551 times
Is it safe to discuss the DwD?

So I've been drawing out reading DwD, just felt like savoring it as the next book may take some time and have been busy with work and other crap. Although from reading spoilers, some are speculating that a lot has been written already; I mean Martin has given readings for the next book WoW so ... hopefully.

If you guys are interested in reading spoilers, I'm sure a few of you know already,

[TWoW Spoilers] Arianne I - A Forum of Ice and Fire

I know I've voiced my displeasure of Sansa but she's been MIA in DwD that I've become curious about her whereabouts, I just hope they don't take a large portion of the book. Anywho, what would you guys speculate of Jon? I think he will live, something the red witch will do.

And finally the Onion Knight has something more to do, his story frankly up until White Harbor was a bore. Kind of pissed that Tyrion didn't really get to meet Dany. And Martin, funny guy, one of the chapters he titled, "The Dragon Tamer", wooomp-wooomp LOLOLOL. Dorne just seems to be used for comic relief at this point.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,822,656 times
No, his favorites are definitely "craven" and "jape." I never knew either of those words before these books!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,210,551 times
If anyone is interested in spoilers, Martin release a Theon chapter from TWoW (the next book), I suppose as a gift for his fans.

GRRM - Wild Cards Sample

SQUEEEEE~

Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 AM

22,850 posts, read 28,094,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
No, his favorites are definitely "craven" and "jape." I never knew either of those words before these books!
I've also noticed that his favorite measurement of time is a "heartbeat" or "half a heartbeat."

Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 PM

520 posts, read 1,850,337 times
By the end of "A Dance With Dragons" I could predict when he was going to use the phrase "mummer's farce". I think I'm going to lose it the first time it shows up in the next book. Please, George, no more!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books