Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times

Advertisements

I was searching for a world map and I found this,

http://kevinhatch.com/media/kh-asoiaf.pdf

very detailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Review of Dance with Dragons

Excerpt (posted long ago) of Dance with Dragons
(mild spoilers)
...A white wolf moved through a black wood, beneath a pale cliff as tall as the sky. The moon ran with him, slipping through a tangle of bare branches overhead, across the starry sky.
"Snow," the moon murmurred....

Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I was searching for a world map and I found this,

http://kevinhatch.com/media/kh-asoiaf.pdf

very detailed.
Thanks for sharing that -- way cool!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Wow cool never saw that before

Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 PM

Yeah, definitely helps when you're reading so you can grasp where certain characters are and how far they are from each other. Especially so for me, in reading the fourth book -- mother of hell, Martin certainly went trigger happy with new POV characters.

So far, the fourth book is less than enticing than its predecessors, really boring POV characters. House Martell, dear god, it was a struggle reading through it as well as with Cersei, Jamie, well most of it. The only ones I've been looking forward to are Asha and Arya who are far and few in-between the snooze fest. Martin certainly made poor choices in this installment, I think, particularly so with House Martell and House Greyjoy (except for Asha). Asha is a badass character, love. huh. Her and Tyrion, very witty characters, which I love.

Last edited by BVitamin; 06-17-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM

I'm just about done with the fourth book. What do you guys predict of Sansa? It seems like her character is going to be like Cersei albeit less sinister.

Arya? Read someone's comment of her becoming an assassin, I was hoping but doesn't seem like it so far. Perhaps, I think, and it's quite a stretch but if she does become one I think she'll end up working for Dany somehow. Maybe it'll be Sansa vs Dany in an all out war, dun dun DUN -- lol.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,915 times
Quote:
Yeah, definitely helps when you're reading so you can grasp where certain characters are and how far they are from each other. Especially so for me, in reading the fourth book -- mother of hell, Martin certainly went trigger happy with new POV characters.

So far, the fourth book is less than enticing than its predecessors, really boring POV characters. House Martell, dear god, it was a struggle reading through it as well as with Cersei, Jamie, well most of it. The only ones I've been looking forward to are Asha and Arya who are far and few in-between the snooze fest. Martin certainly made poor choices in this installment, I think, particularly so with House Martell and House Greyjoy (except for Asha). Asha is a badass character, love. huh. Her and Tyrion, very witty characters, which I love.
I completely agree about the 4th book!!! I'm about half way through it and jesus, I've been waiting for a chapter on Catlyn ever since I finished the last book! I'm ok reading about Brienne, but I loathe the Martells as well as his "creative" chapter titles. The Kracken's Daughter... The Queen Maker... really Martin? Who the eff ever cared about the Iron Islands to begin? That was my 4th book mini-rant. Other than that I'm enjoying Brienne and I'm thinking Arya and Brienne would make a killer team if they could ever find each other! An Arya-honing raven would be so handy. Sansa is boring per usual. I don't care about Sam and Cersei is boring although I'm enjoying how Margeary is annoying Cersei through Tommen.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I completely agree about the 4th book!!! I'm about half way through it and jesus, I've been waiting for a chapter on Catlyn ever since I finished the last book! I'm ok reading about Brienne, but I loathe the Martells as well as his "creative" chapter titles. The Kracken's Daughter... The Queen Maker... really Martin? Who the eff ever cared about the Iron Islands to begin? That was my 4th book mini-rant. Other than that I'm enjoying Brienne and I'm thinking Arya and Brienne would make a killer team if they could ever find each other! An Arya-honing raven would be so handy. Sansa is boring per usual. I don't care about Sam and Cersei is boring although I'm enjoying how Margeary is annoying Cersei through Tommen.
I happen to like the Kracken's daughter, lol, not so much the events that took place though. I liked her from reading Theon's POV in the third book, I thought that was particularly amusing, their encounter.

I was beginning to like Jamie in the third book, then I read the fourth, so dull, so very dull.

I like Brienne too, though Martin, MARTIN, don't you dare kill her off -- would have been pointless if she dies, ya'K-N-O-W Mar-TIN.

We seem to like the same characters, just letting you know when you near the end of this book, you'll be squeamish for them -- I certainly was.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:33 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,915 times
Quote:
I happen to like the Kracken's daughter, lol, not so much the events that took place though. I liked her from reading Theon's POV in the third book, I thought that was particularly amusing, their encounter.
Yes, I did like that part. Anytime when Theon is made a fool of, I'm in! It's frustrating that in the 4th book Asha never has a chance and she's the true heir to the throne. She's trying to save them from losing everything and making Robb's same mistakes, but no one seems to care that more war means more death.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:10 AM

I finished reading last night, the fourth book. I've also read about the delays on the fifth book, they say it's going to be released in July, I'm going to venture and say it's not going to be released till December.

Also, Mark mentioned or predicted in the television thread that Dany and Jon are going to rule together; after having read the fourth, and knowing how Martin doesn't tie things up as neatly as a romantic story plays out, I have my doubts about that turn out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books