Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 PM

24 posts, read 49,470 times

Advertisements

A great book, I tried to hold in the tears, which turned out to be impossible. Definitely one of my all time favorites...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 04:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Every single time I read it (which is about 3 times a year.. same with The Giver, can't get enough ) I start crying. Such an amazing book... the second one (Summer of the Monkeys) is amazing too.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:35 PM

165 posts, read 559,412 times
This is the first "chapter" book I ever read and I was addicted to reading ever since. I cried so hard, non stop, in the middle of my 3rd grade class. And I never felt guilty about it. The only thing that angered me was that some one who had read this book before let a sensitive little 10 year old read this book in the first place. My dog had died right in front of me 6 months before.......... With that being said, I am so thankful this book was brought into my life. It really did open the door to reading for me.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,178 times
I hope I am remembering the right book, but when I was in second grade (45 years ago), our teacher used to read a chapter a day from a book she'd chosen. And one of those was that book. I was enjoying the story until it got to the part where the dogs got either badly hurt or killed, I can't remember which, It actually ruined my entire day and in the succeeding days as it went on I just put my fingers in my ears so that I didn't have to hear it anymore.

I've always very much an animal lover (have two dogs) and thus very sensitive to anything relating to animals getting hurt or worse. I even change the channel when that Humane Society ad comes on. I know that's a little overboard, but FWIW,that's me and there was my reaction to the book.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:27 PM

55 posts, read 188,365 times
Oh yeah, we read this book in elementary school and also watched the movies more than once (yes, there were 2). Very much worth reading, just a major tearjerker!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:57 PM

89 posts, read 201,702 times
Just hearing the name of that book brings tears to my eyes. Especially as a dog lover. Another one that haunts me is "Stone Fox". I have no desire to ever see or hear about either book ever again.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,520 times
where and when was the red fern grows was written

Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Where the Red Fern Grows

What an exceptional book.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:56 AM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
So like I said, I finished this book last night and cried myself to sleep, woke up, then cried the rest of the night away. I'm exhausted right now.

I knew the ending was heart breaking, but I wanted to re-read it because of the life lessons in the book.

Spoiler

The lesson of hard work. at the beginning, Billy is begging his parents to get him the hounds. Then he figures out he needs to work and save for them. Billy saves for two years to raise the incredible sum of $50, a fortune during the Depression. Then he walks 22 miles each way to the depot to pick them up.

The lesson of iron-willed determination. There are so many times when Billy wants to give up, but his Grandfather teaches him the value of not quitting. Billy, Old Dan, and Little Ann just do not quit on each other.

The lesson of love and devotion. Billy found a tree with Dan and Ann carved in it, with a heart encircling the names. The hunters at the big coon hunt championships say it's not loyalty that makes dogs do what they do, but love, the deepest kind of love.

At first, I thought that's an incredibly dangerous sport, a young boy out coon hunting. Forget the mountain lion, coons can be vicious on their own. But in those days, parents weren't there to helicopter their kids. Sure Billy's mother is going to worry, but she knows she can't stop him from what he loves. By having Old Dan and Little Ann in his life, he learns determination, love, devotion, faith, sorrow, pain, hurt. Kids today, there biggest disappointment is not leveling up in their favorite video game.

The accident, I kept reliving it and kept thinking of ways to save Old Dan. Just get him to the vet! The Colman's didn't even have a car, and antibiotics weren't in use until after WWII. The blood loss, immune system being so down, infection setting in, Dan's injuries were too much.

Then I wondered, wasn't Billy's love enough to sustain Little Ann? But Little Ann just died of a broken heart. Those two little hounds were united in life, and were destined to be united in death.

The biggest life lesson of Where The Red Fern Grows is I believe there are supernatural forces in our lives (God? Angles? Fate? Destiny? Karma?) that act to guide us. Billy prayed and got everything he wanted, then in one terrible night it was all taken away. His parents attempt to explain why to him, and they end up sounding foolish. We have to accept it when disappointment happens in life, and trust that there is a meaning to it.

For the Colman's, Old Dan and Little Ann earned enough money to get them to town. I wonder if they really meant, get out west to a better life? They were probably living a hand to mouth existence on that farm, and now they could have a better life.

In the beginning of the book, Billy is a boy hollering, "Buy me some dogs, buy me some dogs!" At the end of the book, a man left that farm.

Ok, I need to focus on something happy now!

Last edited by IheartWA; 07-01-2016 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-01-2016, 02:44 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
What I remember about Where the Red Fern Grows is that it was the mostly widely-read non-assigned book when I was in Junior High/Middle School (early 1980s). Someone was always lugging it around along with their paper-bag-covered textbooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books