Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:55 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I find myself avoiding the book when it's endorsed by any celebrity.

Me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Yes, celebrity endorsements are kind of silly, although I would not equate Oprah with, say, Paris Hilton.
It's best to research and choose reading material by yourself and/or from the word of a trusted friend.
I do often read reviews, but take them with a grain of salt.
The literary world can be just as fraught with ego-tripping and back-stabbing as any other business.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes, I enjoyed that book too, but read it as a young adult.

I think she does do this on her show, but I don't watch it so have never seen. I think she often has the author on her program.

I am pretty sure the publisher puts the seal--not the Oprah team.
Oprah just picks books she appreciates, and the rest is marketing, but not by her, it's the publisher.
I am sure her more enthusiastic fans enjoy the camaraderie of being in something bigger than themselves, and the books go along with that.
And some people prefer to stand aloof rather than "join the club" by reading the book.
I feel conflicted but am not about to eschew a good book because there is a seal on it.
Maciesmom, I didn't know that White Oleander was an Oprah pick.
That was some of the most florid prose I've ever read, but I couldn't put that book down. Maybe Oprah was working through her own childhood with that novel.
Regardless of who actually "puts the seal" on the book, she is endorsing and showing approval of a particular book--something that Lit scholars and critics have been doing for decades, which is why I think that she is arrogant to endorse anything and that anyone who follows her recs is a tool.

If anyone is going to rec a book to me, it's going to be either a very literate friend, teacher or the NYTimes book review.

Honestly, the best books I ever read were in my English classes from elementary through college and were "endorsed" by my teachers as meaningful prose to enrich one's life rather than trite dribble to fatten a publisher's (and t.v. show host's) pocketbooks.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Regardless of who actually "puts the seal" on the book, she is endorsing and showing approval of a particular book--something that Lit scholars and critics have been doing for decades, which is why I think that she is arrogant to endorse anything and that anyone who follows her recs is a tool.

If anyone is going to rec a book to me, it's going to be either a very literate friend, teacher or the NYTimes book review.

Honestly, the best books I ever read were in my English classes from elementary through college and were "endorsed" by my teachers as meaningful prose to enrich one's life rather than trite dribble to fatten a publisher's (and t.v. show host's) pocketbooks.
To each his own.

IMHO, there is plenty of arrogance in the world of academia, and some newspaper writers are downright fraudulent.

I too read the NYT book reviews, with the knowledge that plenty of pap makes it onto their bestseller lists.

Do I breathlessly await Oprah's latest pick? Um, no. Actually, most of her picks that I have read were by happenstance.

On the other hand, I know that literary circles have their own biases and favorites, and I have read enough snotty reviews to take all of them with a grain of salt.

Basically, for me, the best seal of approval is my own, and I will neither lift my nose up at Oprah, nor slavishly worship the pronouncements of critics.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:32 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
i have read only a couple of oprahs choices and didn't like them, so I don't gravitate toward them at all.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:04 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I really don't care one way or another about the seal. I did read one of the "Oprah's Reading Club" selections and did not care for it at all. Song of Soloman.

One thing I can say in her favor regarding books is that she has people reading and I think that is HUGE.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
True dat, Ketabcha. Although I do think it's a little disturbing that it takes a celebrity to get people reading, especially a classic like, "Anna Karenina."
I also do agree that critics are not infallible. However, I do take them more seriously wrt recs as they usually justify their opinions via a written critique. I certainly don't agree with them all of the time but I appreciate their analysis.
BTW, I am not lifting my nose up at Oprah or anyone else, for that matter; I just don't happen to care for her perspective. Nor do I think that academics or lit critics cannot be arrogant. I just think that they tend to give a more in-depth analysis of their choices rather than just an "I liked it, I'm a celebrity, buy it" approach. A lot of Oprah fans just seem so humbly devoted that they just do whatever she says--like buying a recommended book--without question.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,446 times
I don't have any big objections. In fact, some of the books with her seal are great pieces of literature.

My only problem is a certain unintended consequence. I went to the library about 3 years ago looking for a book. I didn't find it, or my second or third or fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, etcetera, pick. These were major novels by prominent authors and I couldn't find any of them. There were big holes in the lit stacks. OTOH, there were seven copies of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. That's a great book, mind you, but seven copies! I went to complain and they said it was because of the Oprah endorsement. Still, I didn't get my book.

Now, in an ideal world it's fantastic that a library would use some of its resources to respond to market forces, but the first task is to be comprehensive. In at least one case that seal has diverted limited money away from that task.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Good points, everyone.
I agree that it's pathetic that it takes a celebrity to get people reading, and it is shameful that the Oprah aura so affects a library's collection.

StarlaJane, in your opinion, what *is* Oprah's perspective?
I do not say this to be combative or confrontational. Do you mean the fact that she speaks from the stance of a television personality, or do you mean her personal perspective?

I've been looking at her website and the choices vary quite a bit.
Also, it looks like she has backed off a bit in recent years.
She only picked one book for 2006, five for 2007, and two for 2008.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:27 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Does she still do that? I have paid no attention to her for years and years. Way back when, I often found I really disliked books that she chose:

Examples of what I didn't like:

Map of the World
White Oleander
and any number of depressing memoirs she seemed to find fascinating and discussion-worthy....
I feel much the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books