Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:55 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times

Advertisements

Oh, boy are you right with that observation, MrMcQ! Educational trends are changing all of the time.

Educators try a method for a few years and then move on to something else because they did not get the expected results.

I have found teaching youngsters reading and writing skills that it takes a combination of methods to be really effective. I love to have them understand the phonetic makeup of words, but they must also bite the bullet and memorize so many nonconforming words, as well as learning derivation and how the word is being used (rode/road; two/too/to; right/write, through/threw, et al).

A good reader will almost always use multiple modalities to decipher a word to be read or written. And, some children simply have better innate skills than others.

As long as your son is a happy reader, encourage him to rely on Webster's website and spellcheck!! I teach these skills and still rely on my little "crutches"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Oh, boy are you right with that observation, MrMcQ! Educational trends are changing all of the time.

Educators try a method for a few years and then move on to something else because they did not get the expected results.
Many younger teachers either don't understand or don't know this...and consequently don't always understand some veteran teachers' rolling eyes and scowls when the hottest newest silver bullet program gets rolled out. If you're in the business long enough, you'll see some idea that didn't work the first time come back around re-labeled and all shiny and "new and improved".

Education has long reminded me of a puppy in a field full of rabbits. The pup will take off chasing one rabbit because that's THE ONE. Then a different rabbit will jump up and take off in another direction. The puppy then decides that one looks better and that it's THE ONE. Then a different rabbit will jump up...etc., etc., etc. Eventually the puppy will chase the same rabbit more than once. And it'll never catch it.

There have been huge improvements in teaching reading over the years, but it's been tough getting there. From the "one size fits all" approach to throwing out and ignoring the value of methods (such as rote) that has worked for many years with most students, it seems to have settled into kind of a groove where it needs to be...improved diagnostics using whatever teaching approach that best fits the student.

But, primarily, the leading indicator of having a life-long reader is if the parents were readers. If that was there, good odds the student will be as well. If not, well...often not.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I am amazed by people that I know that can read, but always say they do not have time or do not like to read. I guess I cannot imagine a life without reading and books. I always find the time anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? Just curious.
It occurred to me as I was reading the many responses to this thread that most people, apparently, read fiction considerably more often than they read non-fiction.

I guess you could say I am a non-reader when it comes to fiction. I bet in my entire lifetime I have not read more than four or five novels. The concept of spending my time reading about another person's life (someone that does not even really exist), does not interest me in the slightest.

If I am going to find the time and make the effort to read, I am certainly going to learn something valuable by doing it. Not reading a bunch of made up stuff that is meaningless to me.

Now, I will read biographies if they are interesting and factually historical books. And, of course, Walden by Henry David Thoreau is one of my all-time favorites.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2010, 03:20 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
I guess you could say I am a non-reader when it comes to fiction. I bet in my entire lifetime I have not read more than four or five novels. The concept of spending my time reading about another person's life (someone that does not even really exist), does not interest me in the slightest.

If I am going to find the time and make the effort to read, I am certainly going to learn something valuable by doing it. Not reading a bunch of made up stuff that is meaningless to me.
Not everyone enjoys fiction, and that's fine, but when you watch TV or movies do you watch only documentaries and news programs? There's a lot of fiction that is entertaining while also being thought-provoking and even educational.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:21 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Thumbs up Fiction vs. Non-fiction. One is as wonderful as the other.

That's an interesting take on fiction vs. nonfiction, Branson. I think that I often learn as much from the fiction that I read as I do from the non-fiction.

A wonderful, well-informed author of fictional literature can weave a tale that stirs the emotions, imagination and horizons of his reader. I think of such books as Moby Dick, Reading Lolita in Tehran, Hamlet, or Gone with the Wind.

I know that I carry life lessons and far reaching thoughts as a result of engaging myself in these wonderful stories.

We can sometimes read a piece of non-fiction and walk away poorer than we were before we let the author into our minds.

I think this shows again that we are all very individual in our tastes, our needs and our loves. I do enjoy many non-fiction books (particularly historical or scientific), but do live for a well crafted novel that sets my mind into motion with a vision in my mind's eye to complete it.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Not everyone enjoys fiction, and that's fine, but when you watch TV or movies do you watch only documentaries and news programs? There's a lot of fiction that is entertaining while also being thought-provoking and even educational.
I do not own a television set. I have not seen a movie for many years. For exactly the same reason that I do not read fiction.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2010, 03:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It occurred to me as I was reading the many responses to this thread that most people, apparently, read fiction considerably more often than they read non-fiction.

Now, I will read biographies if they are interesting and factually historical books. And, of course, Walden by Henry David Thoreau is one of my all-time favorites.

20yrsinBranson
Can't really speak for anyone else here, but for me reading - especially fiction - is a way to escape from the problems and pressures of life. Yes, I find learning something new to be exciting, but that is not really my primary reason for reading. And I have found that even in fiction can be found the occasional 'nugget' of valuable new information. For instance, I sometimes read and post in the religion and philosophy forum and, in one discussion, I was able to refer to an interesting philosophical concept I found in the first of Stephen King's Dark Tower books. (I won't repeat it here, as this is not a philosophical discussion. ) Now I don't think anyone would argue that SK is any kind of 'philosopher', but this one particular passage was simply rife with philosophical meaning.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
T

I think this shows again that we are all very individual in our tastes, our needs and our loves. I do enjoy many non-fiction books (particularly historical or scientific), but do live for a well crafted novel that sets my mind into motion with a vision in my mind's eye to complete it.
I have tried, with an open mind, to read novels. I cannot get past the first couple of chapters. Even best sellers. Famous books. Books that have lived in infamy. Moby Dick? Someone has actually read Moby Dick? Hamlet???? really??????

How on earth do you maintain your interest? How do you keep going when it sloggs along? I've not yet discovered how to do it.

(I did get to chapter THREE of "Interview with a Vampire", which was some kind of record for me. But I couldn't even get through the FIRST CHAPTER of Harry Potter!)

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2010, 03:37 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do not own a television set. I have not seen a movie for many years. For exactly the same reason that I do not read fiction.

20yrsinBranson
I actually feel sorry for you, the same as I would feel sorry for someone who doesn't read at all. I just cannot imagine a life so void of imagination that one cannot enjoy a good story.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:37 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
How on earth do you maintain your interest? How do you keep going when it sloggs along? I've not yet discovered how to do it.
A good, creative author can make a subject interesting, whether it's truth or fiction. I studied history in college/grad school and have read quite a few non-fiction books then and since that made me want to throw the book across the room because they were so dull and dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books