Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:45 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times

Advertisements

LOL, Branson! That seems so foreign to me to hear you ask how one maintains interest in a novel. I understand it though, because my DH reads mainly non-fiction, although he will throw in a novel here and there just to break the pattern.

(He checks 3 or 4 books out of the library every week and started with stack #1 for non-fiction, A's for his fiction reading. I hope no one checks a book out between last week's choices and this week's!)

To me, it is like the best movie I have ever seen, but it is rolling in my head. I often stretch out on the sofa until the wee hours of the morning because I cannot bear to put my book down. I just have to get to the next page, then chapter. Oh, phooey, finish the doggone thing tonight!!

That is exactly what I mean about our varied and diverse interests and tastes. And, isn't it a wonderful thing that there are people like you who love non-fiction and people like me who crave novels? The library stacks would need traffic lights if we all liked the same style of reading material!

Last edited by gemkeeper; 01-16-2010 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Yep, I've read Moby Dick and Hamlet - more than once!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 03:53 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Default Reading for the love of reading is what really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I actually feel sorry for you, the same as I would feel sorry for someone who doesn't read at all. I just cannot imagine a life so void of imagination that one cannot enjoy a good story.
I don't think we have to feel sorry for anyone who enjoys what they read - whatever it might be.

Reading is energizing, informative, entertaining, thought-stimulating. Does it really matter if it is a biography of Napolean or Branson's attempt to conquer "Interview with a Vampire"?

She is just as excited about her reading as anyone who reads fiction. I think that this is life as it is meant to be.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I actually feel sorry for you, the same as I would feel sorry for someone who doesn't read at all. I just cannot imagine a life so void of imagination that one cannot enjoy a good story.
I recall that in 8th grade I read a really good book that I enjoyed very much that was set in 19th century New Orleans. I never did finish that book, however, because I loved it so much that I couldn't bear to see it end.

I still have it around here somewhere. Maybe one of these days I'll dig it out and read it again.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2010, 07:49 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A good, creative author can make a subject interesting, whether it's truth or fiction. I studied history in college/grad school and have read quite a few non-fiction books then and since that made me want to throw the book across the room because they were so dull and dense.
Most authors who are regarded in very high esteem often write the most boring novels and have likely influenced more ppl not to read over the years than actually inspired them.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:49 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
I love to read so much that I took a class in high school (way back when) called "Novel Now". Our school was on the trimester system so I got one-third of a credit for the class. In order to earn each grade we had to read books worth so many points. We had to decide at the beginning of the class what books we wanted to read for whatever grade we wanted. I wanted an 'A' so I chose some long books. All we had to do for the class was read the book and discuss it one-on-one with the teacher. My favorite - and the one that made the most impression - was The Exodus. It's been years since and I have this book on my list of 'to gets' at the library. (After I shrink my at home pile a bit more.)
Guess this is a bit off topic, but I've enjoyed the whole thread and the way it is weaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books