U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 AM

13,510 posts, read 15,587,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
....I think it is aptly refelected in pop culture- and the reason people watch garbage in the media ("The Simple Life", "American Idol"). Its easier for some Americans to be self-absorbed.
I agree with the above.

But, I believe, that what we call "pop culture" could just as easily be called the-world-we-live-in. It's not something that we sniff at when we choose, it envelopes us like the air!

Advertising is perhaps the primary message bearer of our culture, one of the most powerful socializing forces in American (and EU and Japanese) life....it is always there, and aways giving us the message that we imperfect creatures are just a purchase away from lifetime butterflyhood. And being the center of the universe, as each and every one of is, we deserve absolutely everything. And nothing, but nothing, is more important than feeling, and no feeling is more important than my feeling.

It is totally about gratification.

We are pulling on the nipple of advertising from our earliest years and many (most?) people never take thier lips from it. And our other activity - unsurprisingly - is the masturbatory delight of letting our feelings/our real selves loose at every opportunity.

And for youngsters, teenagers and younger adults this same message is the heart and soul of TV music channels.

I think this helps explain why the tenor of contemporary life runs a narrow and manic gamut from orgasmic rage to orgasmic sentimental gush. Both of which leave individuals feeling totally depleted...and needing the mental and physical rush of another burst of me, me, me - feeling my guts out with total abandon.

Otherwise...what's life about? What do I doooooooo!!!!???

Last edited by kevxu; 09-30-2009 at 05:37 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Interesting thoughts!. i like what you wrote.

Sarah Palin seems to be a prime example. Her photo ops look like an audition for a new reality show (i.e. where she is ladling moose stew while talking to the reporters) i really cant recall elections being this, insane ten years ago........
So much of contemporary American religious life is me-me-me-me-me-me................... I wonder when I listen to some of these folks if "my personal relationship with Jesus" ever includes a party other than the me of my.

So often it looks to be yet another display of me-me-me....

I had an staff member who worked for me, who quite ostentatiously disavowed to vanities of the world, but who insisted upon praying vocally at work, and sometimes very loudly.

When I told that she could not do that, she was highly indignant that I was attempting to supress her religious ebulliance, which after all made her life worthwhile. I pointed out that her Lord had enjoined his followers to pray in private and not make a show of it, and I pointed out in her own bible. She was furious! But she seemed to be enjoying that too.

I get have the impression that much of American religious life is personal showtime.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:12 PM

4,718 posts, read 3,746,727 times
Well, we're living in a time of unparalelled mindlessness, most of our societal constructs are narcississtic. Another book that became a best seller, Looking Out for Number One, was just over the top with it's conclusions that a person would be way better off, if, they just put themselves first in every aspect of their life.

American's, by and large, have more disposable wealth than the rest of the industrialized nations. This abundance of money has been a deliberatly planned outcome of a consumer society. Planned, in the way that wages and prices are subject to complimentary outcomes. This fact of control over the majority, gives to the corporate/state combine, the power to call the tune, the subjects dance to whatever is playing.

One of the first lessons in school is the reminder that America is the Mecca of individualism, from there it's just a short step to feeling the headiness of your new found freedom from those, "others". We now see the first young adults emerging from the nest of constant praise, these poor souls will probably not find it in their collective heart to care anything about the others in society. Narcissism is embedded in western culture, and, we can't rid ourselves of the consequences suffered by those who haven't fared well in this kind of economic selfishness, homelessnes, in example, is only a problem if the homeless show themselves, and then the "solution" is to rid society of them, in any way that doesn't require much compassion on the part of the masses.

I'm not as concerned with the fact of self interest being paramount in the human makeup, what bothers me, and I'm sure a lot of others, is the realization that as we age we will need more of that community that we shunned in our earlier lives. Oddly enough, it isn't wealth that sticks together, the rich are constantly fighting each other for more of what they've already got, it's the poor that form the tightest bonds, individualism just doesn't work at the lowest income levels of society. I'm hoping my generation can learn from the present debacle that we will need less,"me" thinking, and more "we" thinking.

Narcissism is just a manifestation of egocentrism, but, nations can suffer from the same self adoring features of individual narcissism, wrapping oneself in the flag for example, showing an excess of patriotism, or shouting the praises of your nation as number one. Narcissistic Individuals, as well as nations, are known to be subject to justifying the manic reprisals they carry out against their enemies, no body feels more threatened than those who have put themselves on a pedestal, fearing that the others wan't to destroy them, they think the others live in envy of their exalted existence.

In this way, America would be hard pressed to be anything but a nation of narcissists, I fully expect the masses to be of one mind, the mind that was given them by their masters.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,103,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

It is totally about gratification....
...the tenor of contemporary life runs a narrow and manic gamut from orgasmic rage to orgasmic sentimental gush. Both of which leave individuals feeling totally depleted...and needing the mental and physical rush of another burst of me, me, me - feeling my guts out with total abandon.

Otherwise...what's life about? What do I doooooooo!!!!???
Absolutely.
People of all ages operate this way, not just younger folks.
It is almost like some sort of Matrix situation, real mundane reality doesn't (or shouldn't) exist because it is too empty and boring--not pre-packaged.
Being "in the moment" or quietly alone in one's thoughts is not an option.
Quote:
So much of contemporary American religious life is me-me-me-me-me-me................... I wonder when I listen to some of these folks if "my personal relationship with Jesus" ever includes a
When I told that she could not do that, she was highly indignant that I was attempting to supress her religious ebulliance, which after all made her life worthwhile. I pointed out that her Lord had enjoined his followers to pray in private and not make a show of it, and I pointed out in her own bible. She was furious! But she seemed to be enjoying that too.

I get have the impression that much of American religious life is personal showtime.
I know people who really do keep it real, but I know what you mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

One of the first lessons in school is the reminder that America is the Mecca of individualism, ... homelessnes, in example, is only a problem if the homeless show themselves, and then the "solution" is to rid society of them, in any way that doesn't require much compassion on the part of the masses.

... Oddly enough, it isn't wealth that sticks together, the rich are constantly fighting each other for more of what they've already got, it's the poor that form the tightest bonds, individualism just doesn't work at the lowest income levels of society. I'm hoping my generation can learn from the present debacle that we will need less,"me" thinking, and more "we" thinking.
Yes.
::sigh::
It all seems so true and so grim.
I do hope we can shake off this delusional crap and come together.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 PM

1,287 posts, read 2,261,971 times
Quote:
So much of contemporary American religious life is me-me-me-me-me-me................... I wonder when I listen to some of these folks if "my personal relationship with Jesus" ever includes a party other than the me of my.

So often it looks to be yet another display of me-me-me....

I had an staff member who worked for me, who quite ostentatiously disavowed to vanities of the world, but who insisted upon praying vocally at work, and sometimes very loudly.

Great insights. I've never really made the connection between narcissism and religious belief. I find that the uniquely American phenomenon of 'prosperity theology' that pervades so much of contemporary American Christianity is just as offensive to me as the crass materialism and self-absorption promoted by our consumer society; religion as a form of self-indulgence. I never understood why we've strayed so far from the Sermon on the Mount and the Beatitudes.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:40 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,697,264 times
As a slight tangent, reading the bible in front of other co-workers is illegal as it creates a "hostile work environment" by law the employer must provide a neutral environment,or be sued.

Now all we need is to get rid of reality tv!!!!!!!lol

Old 10-03-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I am reminded of hearing or reading a long time ago that TV would not really be perfected until the viewer possessed a gizmo that enabled him to blow up the head of anyone appearing on the TV screen.

We are still waiting, unfortunately.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 AM

1,287 posts, read 2,261,971 times
Quote:
As a slight tangent, reading the bible in front of other co-workers is illegal as it creates a "hostile work environment" by law the employer must provide a neutral environment,or be sued.

I couldn't agree more. The problem I have with 'reality TV' is that it isn't real, since observation changes the behavior of the observed. It would only be real if there were hidden cameras, but that would probably have some legal risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books