Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:44 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,655,442 times

Advertisements

I read this in about 1953, and everyone said Look, that's what Russia is like. Then when 1984 really came, everyone who re-read it said Hey, it looks more like America. They said it very quietly, and America just sort of hoped the book would go away and nobody would notice it.

Emmanuel Goldstein's 'book within a book' that explains how the world got to be that way is scarily close to the mark.

In the book, Big Brother appears on a living room screen to deliver propaganda to everyone, and they can't switch it off. Orwell was optimistic. Now Big Brother appears on a screen and people can switch it off, but they don't, so the absence of the propaganda dimmer is completely unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 01:02 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,367,289 times
I remember reading this in the early 70s. I'd be interested in rereading it today to see how much of it has come true here in America.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,635,808 times
I read it years ago and have thought of it often throughout the last three decades. It's kind of scary how prophetic Orwell was.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:44 PM

89 posts, read 200,962 times
I read it very recently because of all the references to it I have seen around the web. I figured I had better understand what exactly people were talking about when they said "Orwellian" and "big brother".

It was a very intriguing book and well written in my opinion. I was thrown off and upset by the ending. I guess I just always thought it would end well. Don't know why I haven't learned that 'required reading' never ends happily.

It made me nervous because I could see a lot of correlations to today's world. I guess I need to read Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" next so I know why people keep saying, "Who is John Gault?" :]

Old 09-14-2009, 02:58 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,373,441 times
The objective of the book wasn't to tell a story. It is for this reason why I hate reading books that have some other much stronger agenda behind them. It makes it impossible to read.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:37 AM

37,752 posts, read 40,828,546 times
I read it in the 70s and kept the book in paperback. I reread it again this year because of reality today.

I especially like the part about the renaming of things or the naming of things that are the opposite of what they actually are. The rewriting of history and events gave me pause, too.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,411,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLariss View Post
I read it very recently because of all the references to it I have seen around the web. I figured I had better understand what exactly people were talking about when they said "Orwellian" and "big brother".

It was a very intriguing book and well written in my opinion. I was thrown off and upset by the ending. I guess I just always thought it would end well. Don't know why I haven't learned that 'required reading' never ends happily.

It made me nervous because I could see a lot of correlations to today's world. I guess I need to read Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" next so I know why people keep saying, "Who is John Gault?" :]
I recommend that book. I finished it about a month ago. Rand makes very interesting arguments which I am still thinking about.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,108,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I read it years ago and have thought of it often throughout the last three decades. It's kind of scary how prophetic Orwell was.
In some respects, for sure. But I think the book that came much closer to predicting the tenor of life that developed in the U.S. is Brave New World.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 PM

246 posts, read 536,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Don't forget "Brave New World" if you are into this genre, LOL!
or " A Clockwork Orange"

Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM

246 posts, read 536,659 times
Brainwash being a central theme in all these books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books