Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,365,249 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here reread books? Since I moved to PR over a year ago I have been limited in the books I have access to. (There are no bookstores to speak of in town and the few they have sell Spanish books with a very few English classics. The library had fewer books that I own. Half.com won't mail here, etc.) So . . . I have been rereading my old books. One nice thing about this is that I am reading series in order, something I didn't do the first time around. I finished Helen MacInnes and am starting on the A.A. Fair series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,105,506 times
Yes I frequently revisit my books. Usually every couple years so they aren't too fresh on my mind when I pick them back up again.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:17 AM

444 posts, read 796,506 times
I reread many things. I enjoy rereading the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys mysteries with one of my children who is now just as big of a fan as I was.

I also have a little stash of other favorites that I keep for whenever the mood strikes. There's no rule that says you can only read something one. Is there???

Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,738,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Yes I frequently revisit my books. Usually every couple years so they aren't too fresh on my mind when I pick them back up again.
I also reread quite often. If a favorite author is releasing a new book in a series, I'll frequently reread the entire series before reading the new one. One series I have reread quite often is Stephen King's Dark Tower series. The final volume of that one was published just five years ago and I have read and reread the series so much that I completely wore out the hardcover books I started with - to the point that when I replaced them, I also bought the entire series in soft cover so I can continue to reread it without destroying another copy!

I'm currently going through my entire Stephen King collection, but another of my favorite authors (James Patterson) has a new book coming out soon and I will likely reread the majority of his books before reading the new one. But, since it will likely be months before I can afford another new book, I've got time to finish the King collection!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:48 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,350,861 times
No, I have never read a book twice. It already bothers me that I won't get to read (or see if I want to read) every book in print. There are way too many books to read for me, instead of reading one I've already read.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,085,235 times
I reread my favorite books. The Isaac Asimov Foundation Trilogy bears repeated reading well, as do some of my favorite books of history.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,081,485 times
I am an older retired woman and I am currently re-reading the Cherry Ames series that I first read when I was 10 years old and confined to bed with rheumatic fever for a year. I am actually loving them all over again. But I must say that it came as a terrible shock to me when I realized that Cherry would be about 85 years old now. Really brings the passing years into focus.

I have also recently re-read my beloved Agatha Christie books. I read a lot of new books too but there is something I am finding comforting about re-visiting these old "friends."

Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 AM

1,908 posts, read 2,526,512 times
Hi All. I'm new to posting on your forum, but am enjoying what I'm reading. I just had to post on this thread because I am currently reading one of my favorite series (this is at least the fifth time around...at least) Wild Swan by Celeste De Blasis. I have numerous other series (Dark Tower is one of them) that I love to reread.
These posts made me think of my younger brothers - twins who hate to read books. I love to read and have a ton of hard backs. I also love to move and my brothers helped me each and every one of the dozen or so moves I've made in the last twenty years. Each time I had to hear, "Why do you keep these books?"as they once again moved milk crates filled. Each time I would answer, "These are old friends that I am going to revisit some day." They looked at me like I was crazy and always asked who read a book more than once. I replied a lot of people do and that is why we make our friends and family haul our books for us.
I consider my favorites to be my best friends... they are always there when I need them to help me though the rough times.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:55 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,219,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I am an older retired woman and I am currently re-reading the Cherry Ames series that I first read when I was 10 years old and confined to bed with rheumatic fever for a year. I am actually loving them all over again. But I must say that it came as a terrible shock to me when I realized that Cherry would be about 85 years old now. Really brings the passing years into focus.

I have also recently re-read my beloved Agatha Christie books. I read a lot of new books too but there is something I am finding comforting about re-visiting these old "friends."
Are you, me? ahahahahaha. The description is the same for both of us. I loved the Cherry Ames books. My favorite was Cherry Ames, Dude Ranch Nurse. Cherry Ames and Nancy Drew. I read those books in my childhood. I should give Cherry Ames another go. I agree, they are definitely comfort books.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,199,038 times
I reread favorite books a lot. Sue Grafton's alphabet series, Dennis Lehane's short series with the detectives Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro, Robert Crais's Elvis Cole series, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, Ruth Rendell's Inspector Wexford series, Linda Barnes's Carlotta Carlyle series, Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series, Richard Stark's Parker series........

The older I get the less I remember so I can reread a book every 2 or 3 years now. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books