U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,806,603 times

Advertisements

After watching an antichrist show on the history channel, I picked up "left Behind" by LaHaye & Jenkins. I haven't started it yet. Has anybody read it or the whole series? What's your opinion?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 AM

282 posts, read 1,185,561 times
I'm reading Lord of the Vampires, the 3rd book in The Diaries of the Family Dracul series.

Good books.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:55 AM

8,669 posts, read 20,871,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
After watching an antichrist show on the history channel, I picked up "left Behind" by LaHaye & Jenkins. I haven't started it yet. Has anybody read it or the whole series? What's your opinion?
My husband and I both read pretty much the entire series...which is quite a few books in all. We liked it. I liked the first 2 or 3 the best.

While I'm posting on this thread, let me also say I just finished the nonfiction book "In a Instant" by Bob and Lee Woodruff about his rather miraculous recovery from his injury in Iraq. Recommend it.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,918,370 times
Wow...I'm out of my league here, so I'll lighten things up a bit - sort of...

Just finished Janet Evanovich "Twelve Sharp" in the Stephanie Plum series - OMG, my husband thinks I'm insane when I read her books and the Carl Hiassen books because I just belly laugh out loud!

Now reading Jodi Picoult's "Nineteen Minutes" - in light of the recent university shootings, it's almost eerie. It approaches the other side, too, of the family of the shooter and how easily they become outcasts - but the scariest part is how much we as parents simply do not know about our children. Are we not asking the right questions, not being vigilant enough, or simply not paying attention at all?

My kids are 30 and 27 now - If I knew then what I know now about them as teenagers it would have scared the hell out of me. Still does. I wonder how they got to live this long and not end up dead or in the penitentiary - the up side is that they grew into great men - one is an attorney, one is a credit fraud investigator.....but this book reminds me of all the times I walked by the t.v. without paying attention to what they were watching, didn't want to "invade their privacy", whatever, whatever.....and how our kids or the kids next door just may not be at all what you think they are.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:45 PM

159 posts, read 757,016 times
I'm currently reading "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo and it's an excellent book. It's like the movie, but it expands on a lot of things that you want to know about from the movie.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 PM

266 posts, read 1,123,554 times
"The Time Travelers Wife" by Audrey Niffennager (sp.)

Really good read so far, about half way through. A nice combination of science fiction principles and human drama that I imagine would appeal to a wide literary audience.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:40 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,726,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post

Really good read so far, about half way through. A nice combination of science fiction principles and human drama that I imagine would appeal to a wide literary audience.
I've heard some fantastic things about it, so you have just confirmed this and it's definitely on my list now.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 41,964,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post

One of my all-time favorites, discovered it a couple years ago.
I devoured it, then read it again, then read it again.
However, only one other person in my book club liked it.
Its premise, and its construction were too much for some to swallow.
Unforgettable, vividly drawn, compelling characters.
Did I say this is one of my favorite books?

Old 05-14-2007, 08:07 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,726,784 times
Has anyone read "the Highest Tide " ( Jim Lynch)? I bought it a while back and really enjoyed it, beautifully written book and the Northwest Pacific coastal shelf life description just comes alive on the page. A really lovely coming of age story.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 05-14-2007 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 AM

9 posts, read 59,665 times
At the mo im reading A Tale Of Two Sisters. Its really good so far!^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or