U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,270 posts, read 7,488,255 times
Reputation: 3721

Advertisements

I just started reading the Time Traveler's Wife. Pretty good so far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,270 posts, read 7,488,255 times
Reputation: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro420 View Post
I'm currently reading "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo and it's an excellent book. It's like the movie, but it expands on a lot of things that you want to know about from the movie.
I read this book years ago during a vacation in Florida. My husband would get so irritated with me because I couldn't put the book down. Several pictures of me have the book in my hand. LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2007, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Teton Valley Idaho
7,395 posts, read 12,059,881 times
Reputation: 5426
anyone reading "blink" by Malcolm Gladwell? I just picked it up after a spurt of Catherine Coultier thinking it would be a nice change--but my background is early childhood and psych so it might not be for everyone. It's about how your brain can make instant accurate decisions based on tiny cues....I'm only on page 32, but so far I really like it. I first heard about it on Oprah. I like that it's not written as though a neurosurgeon is reading!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2007, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,270 posts, read 7,488,255 times
Reputation: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
anyone reading "blink" by Malcolm Gladwell? I just picked it up after a spurt of Catherine Coultier thinking it would be a nice change--but my background is early childhood and psych so it might not be for everyone. It's about how your brain can make instant accurate decisions based on tiny cues....I'm only on page 32, but so far I really like it. I first heard about it on Oprah. I like that it's not written as though a neurosurgeon is reading!
I'm just finishing "The Tipping Point" by Gladwell which I found quite interesting as I met one of the persons he mentioned in the book.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2007, 01:35 PM
LML
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,110 posts, read 8,392,848 times
Reputation: 5171
I just finished reading "Water for Elephants" and would highly recommend it to everyone. It is a quick read but I venture to say that parts of it will be reverberating in my mind for years to come.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2007, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Michigan
389 posts, read 1,547,888 times
Reputation: 111
How about the Bible.King James ver.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,042 posts, read 46,959,487 times
Reputation: 20558
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just started reading the Time Traveler's Wife. Pretty good so far.
I started that book a few times, and kept getting distracted from it (mainly because of school)... since I'm a librarian who's fascinated by anything time-travel related, I really MUST finish it already! (it's about a librarian who travels in time, for those who don't know)

Right now I'm almost done with "Cell" by Stephen King, and it's really pure King... he's always been my favorite, so that's just what I was hoping for! Not his best work per say, but I'd still recommend it, if you're into that sort of book. One warning though, it makes you too scared to use a cell phone ever again.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-24-2007 at 11:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2007, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,270 posts, read 7,488,255 times
Reputation: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I started that book a few times, and kept getting distracted from it (mainly because of school)... since I'm a librarian who's fascinated by anything time-travel related, I really MUST finish it already! (it's about a librarian who travels in time, for those who don't know)

Right now I'm almost done with "Cell" by Stephen King, and it's really pure King... he's always been my favorite, so that's just what I was hoping for! Not his best work per say, but I'd still recommend it, if you're into that sort of book. One warning though, it makes you too scared to use a cell phone ever again.
When I couldn't fall asleep at night after reading (I think it King or Koontz) I stopped reading them. LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2007, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Teton Valley Idaho
7,395 posts, read 12,059,881 times
Reputation: 5426
I was in college when Stephen King's novel It came out. No more middle of the night trips to the bathroom! AND I didn't read him for a long time after that--even though my roomie then is his niece!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2007, 06:10 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
219 posts, read 683,554 times
Reputation: 113
Currently reading:

1) Principles of Neural Science by Kandel et al.

2) Darwin's Dangerous Idea by Daniel C. Dennett
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top