U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 PM

3,943 posts, read 5,783,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyBlu View Post
I was really enjoying it, but then it kind of fell apart for me at the end. Without giving anything away, I would say that I loved the suspense it created about "the big secret." However, as I read it, I continued to feel that there was no way that it could end in a way that would be completely satisfying to the reader. I mean, the book created questions to which the reader really wants answers. They were questions, in my opinion, that Brown couldn't really answer in a reader-satisfying way without making up something outrageous. And, of course, he thankfully didn't make up something outrageous. In other words, I think it was the subject matter itself that made it impossible to have a huge, climactic ending.

Good book, but the end was a predictable let-down.
Well, I'm taking my copy back for sure. After I got it home, I realized they charged me full price, and it was on sale! Wal Mart is so bad about that. That's happened to me twice in the past week there!
Can anyone recommend a good book about the Masons?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 05:18 AM

417 posts, read 1,097,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Is this a book you would get someone who wants to know more about the Masons?
I don't think that any of the Dan Brown books are written to teach about the institutions included in the story. But they are a source of "keywords" that you can use to research the concepts on your own time.

Both Lost Symbol and the DaVinci Code had me sitting at the computer searching for more detail on something mentioned in the story. My motto of life is: "so much to learn, so little time".

I always have to chuckle as I read thru his books. The bad guys are always right on the hero's heels, he is always with the attractive, brainy female partner, and they always end up sitting with some other charactor in the story discussing the intricacies of some historical, symbolic message ..... and I'm always thinking "RUN you idiot!!!!!! The govie bad guys with guns are landing in force outside the building!!!!"

Old 11-04-2009, 05:45 AM

9,434 posts, read 14,787,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Thanks PA2UK.

sgr, good luck on finding someone who will talk about being in the Masons. I was asking about this book because my husbands dad was in it, and never would say a word about it, but my husband got strange vibes from him, about being a Mason. He's always been curious as to their secret traditions. I just bought the book for him, but, may take it back and try to find one more involved. I bet if there are some, they are written anonymously!
Well, not everything about them is a secret, there is a lot of open and known information your husband could learn from a non-fiction book about the Masons. There's even a "Freemasons for Dummies"! But you're right that when it comes to certain traditions they keep secret, anything in a book (whether a novel or claiming to be non-fiction) is probably going to be based on speculation. Furthermore, there is a load of so-called factual books which present extravagant speculations about the history of the society in religion and politics. It can be interesting but should be taken with a grain of salt.

If he is really that interested, he would have to join and discover things for himself, although I'm not sure they would accept a person's membership if curiosity is their only reason for wanting to join. But it sounds like your husband is trying to get a better understanding of his father and if understanding the Freemason society would aid in that, maybe he should consider joining. Maybe the only way to understand his father is to submerge himself in something that was important to him.

But having said that, part of me thinks their "secrets" are just fabricated to aid their elitist mystique, making them seem more powerful and righteous than they actually are. I highly doubt whatever they have to hide is really all that interesting.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:39 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,415,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I enjoyed the book. I did not think it was as fast-paced at the davinci code. It does bring up a lot of curious points that always make me investigate on my own. I don't know any masons, but I would sure like to meet a few and ask them some questions!
Not fast paced? Considering that 99% of the story takes place between 7 pm one night and 7 am the next morning, I'd call it very fast paced! And I read it in about 12-15 hours. It was one of those that I simply did not want to put down once I started on it.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 PM

191 posts, read 110,965 times
I am reading it right now and I am finding it very difficult to put down! I enjoyed the DaVinci Code a lot and Angels & Demons even more! But this one at first was a little slow getting started for me. Then all of a sudden I just cannot put it down. It's hard. I'm taking it to work and reading it during my lunch period when I get enough time. I really hope it doesn't disappoint. Even though I don't think it can. I am the type that likes to learn. So anything that gives me any bit of information that I might not have known about is great!!! So it cannot possibly be a waste of time for me.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 AM

13,625 posts, read 22,450,446 times
I am reading the book now..I love his books..I enjoy the drama of fiction he weaves in and out of facts..

I get a kick out of listening to people who can't separate fact from fiction..That is where most of the drama lies

Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,802,283 times
I guess when I said fast-paced, I should have clarified..It took longer to get into the story(at least for me) I thought there was a little over abundance of background info. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. just thought I would have felt more like I had "jumped into it" like it felt with his other books.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM

522 posts, read 607,955 times
No thanks on this book. The first one Angels and Demons was good. Da Vinci Code raised interesting questions.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:03 PM

343 posts, read 987,838 times
Default Just finished it

I completed it over several evenings. It keeps you interested right up to the end. Must say I was just a bit disappointed that there wasn't more of a "secret letting"-though any such revealed "secrets" would have been purely speculative. The book seems to be well researched-I like th ehistoric background he provides in his novels. Though, if the Da Vinci Code was any indication, he does take some literary license to support his story line. That's OK with me-since I regard his books as "thought provoking" fiction.

Some others have commented about the same old, tired story line-including secret societies, handsome male academic (Langdon)-attractive, educated, worldy female cohort. While there's some truth to that, in this case the relationship is merely a sidebar-never really becomming anything "tangible" per se. I still recommend it as a fine read.

Guess that's illustratative of Dan Brown's writing talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or