U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,666,456 times

Advertisements

I am a huge fan of JP! I actually always thought that I hated to read, and then one day, a couple months ago, I randomly decided to read Cross by James Patterson and, to my surprise, I couldn't put it down! Now, in the last couple months, I have read all 15 books in JP's Alex Cross series, all 8 books in JP's Women's Murder Club series, as well as over half of JP's other books. I have really enjoyed the majority of his books that I have read, and some of my favorites would be.. The Alex Cross series, the Women's Murder Club series, and The Beach House, Beach Road, Swimsuit, The Lifeguard, Honeymoon, Judge & Jury, Cradle and All, Step on a Crack, Sam's Letters to Jennifer, Sundays at Tiffany's and Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. However, there were a few that I didn't like so much. Recently I started to read the Thomas Berryman Number and stopped after only a couple of chapters. Then I did the same thing with The Jester and The Season of the Machete. I keep hearing that The Jester gets better, so when I'm done with the Midnight Club, which I'm about half way done with, I plan to finish the Jester. I also plan to finish The Thomas Berryman Number and The Season of the Machete, but only because I wanted to read all of JP's books.

Anyway, I just wanted to see who on CD is a James Patterson fan, and if you are... What are your favorite JP books? Have you read The Thomas Berryman Number, The Jester and The Season of the Machete? And if so, what did you think of those books? And also, have you read the Maximum Ride/Daniel X books? If so, what do you think?... As I said before I want to read all of JP's books, but the Maximum Ride/Daniel X books don't seem like my type of books. Would your recommend those to someone who is more into the Alex Cross and WMC type books?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,789,041 times
I had to read a book with my son last year for his english class and we started on the maximum ride series. I have read 3 of them so far and have enjoyed them. he read 2.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 PM

321 posts, read 745,436 times
I love James Patterson's novels. I just finished 8th Confession (the eighth book in the Women's Murder Series). I have quite a collection of his novels but am not exactly sure how many because they are mixed in with 500 other books. When his new ones come out I try to get them right away from the library. He totally fascinates me how he can throw a curve into his stories that the reader never suspected and leaves them saying OMG I can't believe that was the one doing the murders.

The Jester does get better but it isn't as attention grabbing as a lot of his other novels because it takes place during the crusades and deals with the awful way peasants and servants were treated. There was no Universal Declaration of Human Rights back then. You were at the mercy of your lord, and if he was a piece of sh** then you suffered.

I found the Women's Murder Club series very interesting. In this day and age of crime and violence, it's nice to see four strong women supporting each other as they try to solve pretty gruesome murders.

Some of his books are a little weird - for instance You've been warned. If I have the right book its about a young woman who lives the last day of her life over and over trying to find someway to let people know that despite the fact that she is critically injured, she isn't dead.

Another one you might like is Kiss the Girls and Along came a Spider both of which were made into movies. Four blind mice is also pretty good.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I had to read a book with my son last year for his english class and we started on the maximum ride series. I have read 3 of them so far and have enjoyed them. he read 2.
That's nice to know. The Maximum Ride books didn't seem like books that I would like, but I want to at least read 1 and see how it is because I want to read all of JP's books if I can. I'm almost done with all of his other books, that's why I was asking about the Maximum Ride books. I have heard that some people enjoyed them, and some people didn't really like them. So, I guess I'll just have to read 1 myself and see what I think.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansidhbabe View Post
I love James Patterson's novels. I just finished 8th Confession (the eighth book in the Women's Murder Series). I have quite a collection of his novels but am not exactly sure how many because they are mixed in with 500 other books. When his new ones come out I try to get them right away from the library. He totally fascinates me how he can throw a curve into his stories that the reader never suspected and leaves them saying OMG I can't believe that was the one doing the murders.

The Jester does get better but it isn't as attention grabbing as a lot of his other novels because it takes place during the crusades and deals with the awful way peasants and servants were treated. There was no Universal Declaration of Human Rights back then. You were at the mercy of your lord, and if he was a piece of sh** then you suffered.
Thanks for the detailed post!

Yeah, I have quite a few of his books as well! I'm kind of collecting them! I have all of the Alex Cross books (some in hard cover, some in soft), I have all of the WMC books (all in hard cover), and over half of his other books (mostly in soft cover, but some in hard too).

It's good to hear that The Jester gets better. I think that's what I'm going to read next (well, finish it). I have a couple more chapters to go in The Midnight Club. The Midnight Club, if you haven't read it, is not one of my favorites. It's kind of slow IMHO. There have been parts in the book where it seems to be getting going, and then it just slows down again. All-in-all it's not a bad book though. I guess I'm just use to how most of the JP books I have read grab my attention and don't let go until the very last page!

Quote:
I found the Women's Murder Club series very interesting. In this day and age of crime and violence, it's nice to see four strong women supporting each other as they try to solve pretty gruesome murders.
I too really liked the WMC series! The 8th Confession is one of the books I read most recently. I read The 8th Confession, then Alex Cross's Trial, Cross Country (I know that Trial comes after Cross Country, but I bought Trial and ordered Cross Country. It just took Cross Country too long to get here, so I read Trial first. ) and now I'm finishing The Midnight Club. I started out reading the Alex Cross series, and in between Alex Cross books I decided to read some of the WMC books. I didn't think I'd like them too much, but as it turns out, I love them! I do like the Alex Cross books just a little bit more, but the WMC books are an extremely close 2nd. I feel like if I were to have started reading the WMC before Alex Cross, they would be my favorite.

Anyway, I agree that's it's nice to read about strong women supporting each other. I love how they come together to solve the crimes. However, the last few WMC books it seemed like the girls didn't work together as much. It is still nice to read about how their friendships are progressing, and how each of their personal lives progress, though. I don't know if JP is going to come out with more WMC books or what, but I really hope he does!

Quote:
Some of his books are a little weird - for instance You've been warned. If I have the right book its about a young woman who lives the last day of her life over and over trying to find someway to let people know that despite the fact that she is critically injured, she isn't dead.
Yeah, that's You've Been Warned. I read that one pretty recently too. I finished it in a day, and I liked it okay. It was different, and it was a little like watching Ground hog's Day.. lol! But, I liked that it was different. I am a huge horror/thriller type movie fan, and reading that book, to me, felt kind of like watching a horror/thriller movie. It definitely wasn't my favorite, but I liked it.

Have you read When The Wind Blows and The Lake House, by any chance? After I finish The Jester, I was going to read those two. I already bought them, but on the back of each of those books it says that they weren't number 1 best sellers (There's a bunch of 2s, 3s and 5s on the back os those books). I have heard that a lot of people liked them though. If you have read them, what did you think? Would you recommend them?

Quote:
Another one you might like is Kiss the Girls and Along came a Spider both of which were made into movies. Four blind mice is also pretty good.
I have read Kiss The Girls, Along Came a Spider and Four Blind Mice. I didn't read them right in the beginning like I was supposed to , but I did read them.

I started out reading the Alex Cross series. Like I said before, I have just never read much of anything (Well, books anyway). I just always thought that I hated to read! And let me tell you, I couldn't have been more wrong! lol! My best friend was telling me about this book she had been reading and how she just couldn't put it down. That made me want to at least try to find a book I could get into. So, I started reading Cross. I didn't realize that it was part of a series and that I was reading one of the last books first, but I LOVED it! I was shocked, to say the least!

Anyway, after that I read The Big Bad Wolf (Which I liked as well, my husband is from Russia so it was kind of cool that it was about Russians, even though it was Russian mafia. ), the London Bridges, and then I realized that they went in a certain order (Took me long enough! )! So, from there I started from the beginning, I read Along Came a Spider, then Kiss The Girls, and so on, and so on. When I came to the books that I had read out of order, I just skipped them, I didn't want to re-read them. But, I did have to go back through certain parts in Cross, The Big Bad Wolf and London Bridges just to make sure I understood exactly what was going on.

So yeah, I have read those. I have read all 15 of the Alex Cross books, and I really liked all of them! Some I liked better, like Kiss The Girls, Jack & Jill, Cat & Mouse, Pop Goes The Weasel, Roses Are Red, The Big Bad Wolf, Cross, Cross Country and Alex Cross's Trial, but they were all good books, IMO. I actually just mailed my Along Came a Spider, Jack & Jill, Cat & Mouse and Pop Goes The Weasel books to my best friend. I told her about how much I love JP's books, especially the AC series and the WMC series, so she read Kiss The Girls and Four Blind Mice. I told her they went in a certain order, but she didn't want to wait! lol! Anyway, now she is reading them in order, and she loves them just as much as I did. And, after she's done with the AC series, she's going to read the WMC series. Now all we have to do is convince our husbands to read them! lol! My husband actually read a few of them, and he liked them, but he's now reading about the old Soviet Union and all of the crazy crap that happened. Oh well, maybe one day he will read the rest of the AC books.

Oh, and I am so excited to read I, Alex Cross when it comes out in November! I can't wait!

And BTW, I'm sorry this was such a long post, I tend to get a little out of hand sometimes when I'm typing about something I like/am passionate about!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 AM

161 posts, read 533,657 times
I love James Patterson books! My absolute favorite is When the Wind Blows. I've feel behind in my reading lately so I have read the last couple Alex Cross books or Women's Murder Club books. I always wait until they come out in paperback to read them. I really enjoy the Maximum Ride series too.

My least favorite JP books are See How they Run and Black Friday.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:07 PM

321 posts, read 745,436 times
Oh no! I just got See How They Run from the library - aaah

Old 10-11-2009, 05:06 PM

161 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansidhbabe View Post
Oh no! I just got See How They Run from the library - aaah
At least you're not wasting any money! You may like it, never know.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:09 PM

27,236 posts, read 42,835,830 times
I was going to say "Me!"...but then I realized it was Richard North Patterson that I was thinking of.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,632,041 times
I loved the Lake House, 4 blind mice, see how they run, The JESTER was AWESOME!!
Love James Patterson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books