U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:15 AM

10,194 posts, read 25,443,368 times

Advertisements

On the road, literally, and bought a few mysteries the other day, and discovered I had already read 2 of the 4 books I bought.

It seems I must be attracted, again and again, to the same writers, so I am asking for some recommendations of "new" writers, unusual writers, and little known writers to potentially add to my reading list.

Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 AM

18,564 posts, read 22,358,418 times
William Kent Krueger. Best mystery writer out there right now. Start with IRON LAKE.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM

61,493 posts, read 44,452,054 times
Tony Hillerman
J A Jance
Sue Grafton
James Patterson
Edna Buchanan
Margaret Coelho
Catherine Coulter
Cathy Reichs
Lisa Scottoline
Linda Fairstein

Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 PM

13,394 posts, read 41,911,334 times
Peter Straub. The guy is a masterful writer.
I just read his Mystery, and there is Lost Boy Lost Girl.
Mystery was so well-constructed and completely all-enveloping.
I was blown away by that book.
Lost Boy Lost Girl was a much quicker read, the kind you might read during a vacation, but still good.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:27 PM

Thanks, Mark S, cil and burdell. I haven't heard of your recommendation Mark, but have read more than half of the others. I read all of Margaret Coelho and Hillerman in Taos. I think I prefer Coelho.

And, I'll see if I can get Straub's books. I have only read some of his earlier stuff. Now to make a new list so that when I get into town tomorrow I'll be better prepared and may avoid more duplicates.

Hope to hear some more new names. I have to admit I read too much!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 PM

13,394 posts, read 41,911,334 times
There's the new Michael Chabon novel, which is a murder mystery, and got good reviews. I had a tough time with Kavalier and Clay, but maybe this one will be intriguing.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union

Old 05-07-2007, 04:10 PM

157 posts, read 451,808 times
Elizabeth George is an American mystery writer whose books
are set in England. Her two most popular characters
are Thomas Finley, a New Scotland Yard inspector and his partner
Barbara Haver. What makes Finley interesting is that he is also an earl known
as Lord Asherton. Both Finley and Haver are featured in most of her books
and most fans prefer them over the books without them.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:18 PM

Thanks, cil, I think I read a review of it, too. I am just now arrived in Northampton (MA) and the town has about half a dozen bookstores, so I am certain to be in top form; 2 are great second handers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
There's the new Michael Chabon novel, which is a murder mystery, and got good reviews. I had a tough time with Kavalier and Clay, but maybe this one will be intriguing.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union

Old 05-07-2007, 04:21 PM

Thanks for George. I've read some of her work; now if my hand and brain can coordinate, I might be able to distinguish which I've read and which I haven't. That's why I posted for the unusual. I must have read about 500 or more mystery books, and at least 150 in the last 12 months. Our local Taos Librarian was a mystery fanatic, and she bought them all, and as I am one of her closest friends, I got first dibs. Unfortunately, I never kept a list of what I read and now I am finding myself attracted to the same book--twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl View Post
Elizabeth George is an American mystery writer whose books
are set in England. Her two most popular characters
are Thomas Finley, a New Scotland Yard inspector and his partner
Barbara Haver. What makes Finley interesting is that he is also an earl known
as Lord Asherton. Both Finley and Haver are featured in most of her books
and most fans prefer them over the books without them.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:09 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,693,361 times
If you want to try something a bit different try historical mysteries and murders.
I have a huge collection of historical crime writers and my very favourites are :
Lindsey Davis ( her "Falco" novels set in Imperial Rome are brilliant, funny and well researched and you will effortlessly travel back 2000 years in time with her. Falco, her hero is like a Film Noir character.
Peter Tremayne , the "Fidelma" series, set in Ireland in the 7th century , beautifully written and researched and you can't put them down. I learnt so much fascinating facts about ancient Ireland and their amazingly modern legal system and had fun reading as well.
CJ Sansom: his 3 mystery novels set during and after the dissolution of the Monasteries are simply brilliant. I also recommend his Thomas Falconer first novel.
Michael Jecks
Susanna Gregory, set in 14 th century Cambridge, extremely well written. I love those and have all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books