U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 AM

11,798 posts, read 22,852,691 times

Advertisements

History is what I almost always read for pleasure. Fiction has a really tough act to follow!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 11:07 AM

2,024 posts, read 3,095,081 times
I like historical fiction like the Outlander series (18th century Scotland, France and US), the Sister Fidelma series (7th century Ireland) and the Sister Frevisse medieval mysteries (15th century England).

I also like general Celtic history, Ireland, Scotland, and local history in my area. Also like the true stories of 17th to 19th century immigration from Britain and Ireland to the US.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,000,154 times
I read anything I can on History! Right now I'm reading "A Savage War of Peace" by Alistair Horne. It's about the French colonization and defeat in Algeria. The name of the book says it all!
I'm mainly interested in European History...from the Romans to the Goths, the Celts and all the way up to WW1..one thing leads to another and I always need to learn more about a particular person or event

Old 10-30-2009, 10:23 AM

5,289 posts, read 1,150,675 times
I'm reading a lot of books on ancient Egypt (both fiction and non-fiction) and history books set in India. I find both those cultures to be intriguing. Of course since I'm half-Irish I love to read about my ancestors. I've always loved American history, especially the colonial period. For work and my PhD dissertation I get to read about the military and military history fascinates. Heck, just about anything historical fascinates!

Old 10-30-2009, 03:42 PM

3,553 posts, read 7,155,296 times
I like history as well as "historically accurate" fiction. In the latter category I'd put the "Flashman" series by George McDonald Fraser". "Flashman" is kind of the 18th century, British Army's equivalent of Forest Gump, goes everywhere, does everything.

Two of the best historical books I've read in the last few years are "Shadow Divers" and (I can't remember the exact title of the next one) either "Black May" or "May 1943".

"Shadow Divers" recounts the story of some SCUBA divers who discovered a German submarine off the coast of New Jersey and their attempts to correctly identify it and the sloppy way in which the Allies had "accounted" for all Axis submarines at the end of WWII. I know the story was on a PBS special once as well as either the History or Discovery Channel.

May 1943 was the month and year that the Allies began sinking German submarines at a rate faster than Germany could replace them.

"Ship Of Gold In The Deep Blue Sea", is the true story of a ship that sank off the Carolina/Virginia coast in 1849 or '50. It recounts the efforts of the treasure hunters to develop the technology to recover (and record the provencanc) of the gold coins, still stacked as in the rolls they had shipped in, from the San Francisco mint. Some of this story has also been televised.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM

6,764 posts, read 20,421,787 times
Yes, some of my favorite books are history. I am a big fan of British History, British royal history and so on.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:05 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,849,248 times
I think any work of fiction will contain incidental historical interest. It is, after all, a product of its time. There's even a game to be played with it, like The French Lieutenant's Woman, which is historical with a modern voice but it's also a voice of its own particular time and perspective.

But other than that, I found Hopeful Monsters by Nicholas Mosley pretty interesting as it reached back to the end of WWI and offered a compelling reminder of the political and ideological naivete of the radical intellectual class that allowed--even encouraged--reactionary forces to gain traction in postwar Germany. There've certainly been parallels to that mindset in this country in recent decades, lesson unlearned. Also, a proto-existentialist writer like Andre Malraux drew on his direct experience with the Communist Internationale in China and Spain, and I've always felt that as a writer Malraux was a much better Hemingway than Hemingway. Also, books like Remains of the Day and Mishima's tetralogy offer tremendous social and psychological insights into real history.

Last edited by Bunjee; 10-30-2009 at 06:16 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 06:53 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,170,882 times
As a former history teacher, I kinda like reading history...just about any.
I like everything from biographies, regional history (particularly mid-South, Pacific Northwest and Southwest history), military, political, just about any...if the research is sound, I'm not too picky.

I'm currently reading Retreat, Hell! about the "Frozen Chosin"; Northwest Passage: The Great Columbia River by William Dietrich; and the Thunder Over the Ochoco series by Gale Ontko, a history of (primarily) Eastern Oregon, focusing on the Native American population.

All interesting reads.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:58 AM

10,781 posts, read 12,210,790 times
Great topic

Old 11-02-2009, 04:56 PM

19,224 posts, read 58,403,380 times
I've been working my way backwards through WWII by reading the National Geographics of the period. They may not qualify as books, but they are utterly fascinating when read with chasers of historical perspectives from the current era. One thing (among many) that I've come to realize is that the internment camps for the Japanese-Americans were vitally necessary, political correctness be damned. It was a different era and the culture of the Japanese was different.

What also is interesting is to note just how slanted reporting is during times of crisis. There are lots of glowing stories of the Soviets and the Dominican Republic and other countries. In the light of history, the coloring of what the public expected to be an unbiased source is unmistakable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books