Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 05:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times

Advertisements

Author Profile: Anne Rivers Siddons

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/...ivers-siddons/

About Anne Rivers Siddons
Anne Rivers Siddons was born in 1936 in Fairburn, Georgia, a small railroad town just south of Atlanta, where her family has lived for six generations. The only child of a prestigious Atlanta lawyer and his wife, Siddons was raised to be a perfect Southern belle. Growing up, she did what was expected of her: getting straight A's, becoming head cheerleader, the homecoming queen, and then Centennial Queen of Fairburn. At Auburn University she studied illustration, joined the Tri-Delt sorority, and "did the things I thought I should. I dated the right guys. I did the right activities," and wound up voted "Loveliest of the Plains."
During her student years at Auburn, the Civil Rights Movement first gained national attention, with the bus boycott in Montgomery and the integration of the University of Alabama. Siddons was a columnist for the Auburn Plainsman at the time, and she wrote, "an innocuous, almost sophomoric column" welcoming integration. The school's administration requested she pull it, and when she refused, they ran it with a disclaimer stating that the university did not share her views. Because she was writing from the deep South, her column gained instant national attention and caused quite "a fracas." When she wrote a second, similarly-minded piece, she was fired. It was her first taste of the power of the written word.

--------------

Haywood Smith--Red Hat Club
http://www.haywoodsmith.net/

Atlanta native Haywood Smith has returned to Georgia from Boston and now lives near her son, daughter-in-law, grandson, and two granddaughters.

Besides writing, she enjoys gardening and attending Blackshear Place Baptist Church in Oakwood, Georgia.

She is an active member of Georgia Romance Writers, and loves speaking (without a speaker's fee) for major women's charity fundraisers and large Red Hat Society gatherings.

Her six successful historical novels, set in England and Scotland, won critical acclaim and many devout fans. But after a difficult divorce, she switched to writing "Hell Hath No Fury" hardback books about women who help each other to get over it and get better when their lives fall apart.

The Red Hat Club was on the New York Times Bestseller List. The Red Hat Club Rides Again debuted at #26 on the New York Times Best Seller list. The paperback edition of Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch appeared on both the USA Today's list and the New York Times Extended Bestseller List.

Toss out your $.02--

Peachtree Road--Anne Rives Siddons

She pretty much nailed Buckhead/Roswell Rd and women of Atlanta--many variations on the basic style--lifelong 'nice girls'--Bible Belt and all that

I live across town from Buckhead---near Emory--have lived here for over half a century--nothing really like the Buckhead ladies --except that we all went to church, had mainstream 50's values and expected to become mothers, teachers, nurses and that sort of thing

As the cultural changes have come--life became quite complicated--lol I seem to have 'multiple personality disorder/3 Faces of Eve' online---only Meg Ryan/Nancy Grace sort of woman--have feelings, passions and heartaches and healthproblems

Gotten in trouble today online and my eyes hurt--out of focus can't see well--can't do much of anything it seems and so I have to just say 'Fine'.

This happened to my friend in Columbia, SC---at least she found someone and her brother was alive to help her. I don't have that and cannot be Woman of The Year of the 21st Century or whatever we are now supposed to be.

too tired to read much--lost my little red cap and getting tired of talking/communicating

'Very very Old' and i just want to talk to others like that

so be patient with me and post away

spanx

Last edited by TakeAhike; 10-25-2009 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 06:25 PM

After some consideration--cough--unusual life experiences and online experiences I have drawn some conclusions--right or wrong i can't say--this is what now seems most probable to me

--Atlanta began with English, Scots, Irish, Scots-Irish, German, Jewish people and African Americans---no particular slight intended if one group or the other should have been in a different place--tonight that is what my mind was able to churn out

--I am English, Scots-Irish, German, perhaps some French--Europe--won't go in depth on that--people mixed and mingled and got to the US--should be pretty clear to most of us how that occurred by now, jmo

--My family ended up in GA--mother's side--English/Scots-Irish--a profoundly difficult genetic pool it seems and they farmed the land of Gwinnett county
turn of the century/20C--the cultural issues of the South had an effect on my ancestors/relatives--family oriented --'clannish' type people--private, stubborn, thrifty, God fearing church going people, rigid/strong people
'Do what your mama told you to do and don't ask any questions' people--the cutting of switches, trips to the barn and other forms of discipline were considered good home training.

--Work hard, be Good, Always and Be Good for Something, Don't expect anyone to do for you what you can/should do for yourself--and on and on and on--live simply---Methodists are insane about that--and it is a good way to live--ask the Duggars who aren't Methodists but share the Southern culture--some sort of early 20C Duggar style of upbringing is my legacy

--Sigh--WW2--my mother, Valedictorian of her tiny class moved to Atlanta and met my father, from Savannah--the Deep South --they met at business school. Too stubborn to have ever considered marriage--both of them.
But that is what they did--Scarlett/Rhett kind of couple and more.

-It would be easier to continue if I knew that anyone who responds has read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. She explained my situation very well in 6 wonderful books--historical fiction/time travel.

I think I stop here for now and reflect upon the Outlander series. Jamie and Claire and the gang. Lol--escape into a book, fall through time--I enjoyed that experience as much as I have enjoyed anything--online--gotta love the Gabaldon fans--the truly profoundly 'Hosed'--the work of Judie Rouselle of Vancouver Canada--and a few good ladies--The Ladies of Lallybroch.

http://www.lallybroch.com/

http://www.dianagabaldon.com/

Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 PM

fwiw--i started this a while back and haven't had a chance to read the latest book

the responses may provide some fyi for those interested about why people love or do not love the books--i, of course, find them a worthwhile read for many reasons

//www.city-data.com/forum/group...ion-group.html

WRITERS--
go here>>>
http://outlander.ipbfree.com/index.php? (broken link)

Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,925,363 times
TakeAhike-I would love to discuss books/book recommendations with you. Don't let my current reading list put you off. I read just about anything. I'm reading three books, and I have five or six on my short list. Here's what I'm into at this time. Farley Granger's autobiography, Include Me Out. It's a library book that was at my mom's house. I started reading it at a time when I had no book of my own. Next up was, Me Write Book: It Bigfoot Memoir. I bought it one night when my sister and I desperately needed a few laughs. Lastly, I'm almost finished with, 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl, a metaphysical epic by Daniel Pinchbeck. Wow! What an interesting book. I looked at the links you provided. I will definitely put Peachtree Road on my reading list. I haven't read any of the Outlander series, but I may have to put that on my list also. I have a thread in this forum about the Bigfoot Memoir. It's only gotten one response. It's not highbrow, but it sure is a funny book. Check out the thread. That is, if you don't mind bawdy humor once in a while. I also have a thread for the 2012 book. No responses to that one, which is too bad, because that book is quite a ride. I wish someone that had read it would respond to my thread. Maybe it's too new-agey and no one wants to admit reading it? I'd love to find out what anyone else had to think about it. I look forward to talking to you later. Take care! Saucy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books