U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 PM

225 posts, read 1,005,698 times

Advertisements

On Monday, October 26 in USA Today Online there was a report of a Massachusetts high school (near Boston I think) that is doing away with all of their printed books and replacing them with espresso machines and Kindles. So far they gave away/got rid of 10,000 of their 20,000 book inventory. My question is do you prefer the new wave of Kindle or the "old fashioned" printed book to read? I have never tried a Kindle and I must admit I know very little about them but I think I would still prefer the printed form over anything else. I can see some of the advantages of a Kindle (the library/school did it to bring in more students which was the result) but I cannot see at this time some small to medium size electronic device taking the place of my books. My goodness, what would become of our libraries, even our personal ones? Although, back in 1983 I was adamant about no little metal disc would ever replace my vinyl albums.... Yeah, see where that got me. LOL. What are everyone's thoughts on this? And I welcome any education on the Kindle. Thanks for the responses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:00 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,090,901 times
I am lucky enough to have received a Kindle 2 for my birthday last week. It is a pretty amazing little device and it will be ideal for me to use when I travel (and I travel about 70% of the time!). That said, I am also a former librarian and I simply cannot imagine doing away with "hard copy" books in our libraries. One of the most satisfying things for me to do as a kid and young adult..and even NOW!... was to browse the shelves of libraries. Lets hope that doesnt go away.

I do think that many universities will be switching over to ebooks for their students. It makes a lot of sense...textbooks are hideously expensive (ask me, I know...have a son in college!) and they go out of date almost as soon as they are assigned. (Conspiracy of book sellers to get even more revenue because text books then cant be resold??) Like em or not, ebooks are probably only going to become more and more prevalent in coming years.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 AM

7,510 posts, read 6,856,269 times
Default There's no comparison, for me

Printed books for me, anytime. I do enough screen reading on my computers, desk and laptop. That's for research, business, or casual social use like these forums.

Nothing replaces the feel of a book in my hands. When possible, I like to read the original publications, when reading older works. I went through a time in Seattle where I read only works 100 years old, or older. (The SPL had an online search filter for date of publication.) It was incredible to read the works, feel the different page textures, and bindings. One book still had uncut pages! Yes, I did cut the first uncut section -- just to be the first to read the pages, but left the remaining unread for the next reader.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,404,244 times
I have known people who have moved 4 or 5 times,with boxes of books, which have remained closed and taped-up and stacked in the attic from one move to the other. I am convinced that maybe 95% of all the book in the world will never again be opened in the lifetime of this universe as we know it. And that includes all the publisher overstocks in tent sales. JFK was shot from a huge building packed with thousands of tons of books that would never be opened, and they're probably still there. Many libraries have thousands of books on the shelves that haven't been checked out since 1933, and there is a glued-in slip to prove it. Which makes me wonder why we think every single book is such a precious thing.

I think the sacredness a book as an object has been greatly overrated. Publishing has now reached a technological level at which a single book that exists in a single copy can be reprinted by the millions in a month if there is a demand, so why save millions of them in case there is a demand?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 AM

23,490 posts, read 25,015,539 times
I still prefer an actual book.....in my hands and on my eyes.On a cold snowy day, curling up in my leather chair with a blanket, a hot beverage and a book is just a wonderful pleasure in life. Curling up with a Kindle just wouldn't cut it IMO...not to mention....a Kindle is what $299? Plus about $10 book? I can buy a lot of books for that - then share with a friend. Or I can go the the library.....Not to mention, if I leave my book in the pocket of an airplane, I'm only out the cost of that one book.....

Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 AM

6,488 posts, read 7,567,055 times
I've had a Kindle for over a year now and I use it daily. I have about 30 books on it right now. I'm just about to finish an 800 page book, which would have been a pain to lug around on two recent trips I've made.

There have been times I have been at a hospital waiting room for hours on end and finished my book. No worries, I just start another one that I already have on my Kindle or turn on the wireless function and buy a new book that is instantly transferred to my Kindle. If, for some reason, I don't want to bring my Kindle to an appointment or something I can just sync what I'm reading with the Kindle app on my iPhone and continue on where I left off.

Oh, and the Kindle fits perfectly into the little book slot on my treadmill whereas any book I have tried to cram in there always gets messed up.

I love my Kindle, but I still buy books too...mostly cookbooks or other books I wouldn't need to travel with.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 AM

1,917 posts, read 6,673,798 times
I am putting the Nook (better than the Kindle b/c you can share with a friend) on my Christmas Wish List. I just gave away two huge boxes of books on freecycle and I just found another box full! While I love my gardening and decorating books with the beautiful color photos, I am going to start with the e books (if Santa brings me what's on my wish list ) I just don't have room to store on my shelves any more. But I will still buy the good old fashioned books if they have colorful photos.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:12 PM

4,925 posts, read 10,232,507 times
I prefer printed books. For some reason, they seem easier on my eyes, not matter what settings I use on the screen.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:14 PM

10,664 posts, read 8,381,761 times
I prefer printed books too. I just can't read on a screen, I give up very fast. I need to feel the book....

Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 AM

3,049 posts, read 2,036,527 times
There are advantages to the kindle, but drawbacks as well. Call me crazy but I enjoy looking at my little library on the shelves and it is quite literally very little. If I was constantly moving around and had enough money to constantly spend on kindle books then from a practical standpoint it would make sense to own one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books