Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I love the Dark Tower series! Have read it at least once a year since the final volume was released in 2004. (On the first reading, I wasn't sure I liked the end of the last book, but the more I reread the series, the more convinced I become that there simply is no other way it could have ended.)
I've only read the series once through. I got it for Christmas in '07 and read it in Jan of '08...guess it's about time to reread.
I agree about the ending...at first I said WTH! but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. Quite typical of SK to mess with his reader's heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 12:56 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
As I already said, I've only read the short stories once -maybe a couple times - so am not really familiar with the story. I haven't seen the movie, but you can go to StephenKing.com and read what others are saying about the movie and story.
But I wanted to thank you for bringing this story to my attention. I went looking for the book and it's not here. Just looked through my SK collection and it's obvious to me (now)that I am missing quite a few books... possibly a whole box of 'em.

Well, you're very welcome. I will look up that site. It really bothered me when I watched the movie. I was hoping my memory wasn't going. I'll guess I'll find out shortly.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 PM

53 posts, read 57,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I've been reading his books since I was 12, almost half my life. They are literally all really good.
Hmm well I would say SK is a prolific writer, but I wouldn't call him good.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:23 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Candy View Post
Hmm well I would say SK is a prolific writer, but I wouldn't call him good.
I learned a long time ago that whether anyone thinks a book or author is "good" or "bad" is purely subjective, as everyone has different reasons for reading any book, much less liking or disliking it. For instance, I've had people telling me most of my life how 'good' Anna Karenina is and how much they 'enjoyed' reading it. When I finally broke down, bought a copy and read it, I found it tedious and almost impossible to read. My sister, OTOH, loved it. And, though I own and have read every book S.K. has ever written, Sis wouldn't read any of his books if she got them for free!

Old 12-10-2009, 04:35 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The title of the thread:

NO. Stephen King is not a great author. He can apparently move the plot along, and writes books that millions of people want to buy, but a great author? A Faulkner, Roth, Updike, Mahfouz?

No.
To each his own opinion.

I think the true sign of a good author is how they make the reader feel, and how they impact the reader in any way.

Does King do those thing, yes and to millions of people, so yes IMO he is a great author.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:21 AM

Yep, I was right The Mist book and movie have different endings. It's a shame because the movie was really close to the book and then the movie end just smacks you in the face. I guess they just felt they needed a better ending?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Yep, I was right The Mist book and movie have different endings. It's a shame because the movie was really close to the book and then the movie end just smacks you in the face. I guess they just felt they needed a better ending?
So glad you found what you were looking for. Sadly, a lot of movies don't do justice to the books and the writers like to take liberties when scripting.
I'll see the movie someday.
My brother and I like to watch SK movies together. The first one to spot SK IN the movie wins a buck. He usually wins because I knit while watching tv and miss things. LOL

Old 12-11-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
So glad you found what you were looking for. Sadly, a lot of movies don't do justice to the books and the writers like to take liberties when scripting.
I'll see the movie someday.
My brother and I like to watch SK movies together. The first one to spot SK IN the movie wins a buck. He usually wins because I knit while watching tv and miss things. LOL

Now, I only saw the movie once and I was looking for him, but didn't see him. It is still a good movie and pretty close to the story.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Now, I only saw the movie once and I was looking for him, but didn't see him. It is still a good movie and pretty close to the story.
Are you sure you didn't blink and miss him?

Old 12-13-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Are you sure you didn't blink and miss him?

It's possible. I only saw the movie once. I was looking for him, but those darn eyes will dry out if I don't blink once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books