Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 AM

191 posts, read 698,184 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of getting my mom a Kindle for Christmas but she's in her 70's and I was worried that she might have trouble reading on it (she uses reading glasses). Amazon has the 6 inch one for $250 and free 2 day shipping so I can still make it in time but I don't want to 'tease' her with it then return it if it doesn't work out for her. If anyone here has a Kindle and not so good eyesight or know someone who does - your advice would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
I wear reading glasses and have no problem reading with my Kindle. There are six font size settings so she can adjust it to her preference.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
honestly i know that the kindle dx is more expensive, but if you really think she'll need the larger font you might want to look into it.

The 6" screen, with the largest font, really isn't that large for everyday reading. She'd be turning the page pretty frequently if she is a fast reader.

I have no problem reading my kindle with my glasses. If you don't think she'd need the really large font, then I can't see why she wouldn't enjoy the kindle.

One thing worth noting, on the covers. there are holes on the left side of the kindle where the hinge in the cover is inserted to. so the left edge of the kindle is affixed to the cover by the hinge. then there are two elastic type tabs, one on upper right corner, and one on the lower right corner. if you get her this type of cover, it is important for her to keep the elastic tabs on the corners. If you do not, and the back of the cover is allowed to swing with the right side of the kindle not attached to it (basically just attached by the hinge) the hinge on the cover can be damaged, as well as the kindle itself. I've already sent back one kindle and one cover because of this. I ended up with a cover from M-edge that has elastic tabs on all four corners and this has been the most secure way of protecting the kindle so far.

I love mine and I will say that I bought it when it was in the $350 price range. So $250 is a great deal.

I just looked at the nook at barnes and noble and i didn't like it as much as the kindle. I don't like the touch screen because it will be too easy to touch it and loose the place where you are. I think the big draw is the lending feature, which is a big plus, but as I already have the kindle and prefer it I am hoping that Amazon will add a lending feature to the kindle. They already lowered the price to match the nook, so I am hoping they will add the lending feature too!!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
How about, how is it for eyes in general? I can't read off a backlit screen for extended periods the way I can from paper pages. it hurts my eyes. Amazon claims the Kindle has a screen that reads like paper, unlike other back lit electronic devices. Is that really true that it is as easy to read as paper?

Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 AM

191 posts, read 698,184 times
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's advice - I just received my mom's Kindle and played with it a bit and it's awesome - now I want one for me! I've been having some issues with blurry vision lately due to an old contact prescription but had no trouble reading the text on the screen, I highly recommend it to anyone and I just checked Amazon and they're now offering free 1 day shipping so you can get it in time for Christmas.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-25-2009, 03:57 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
How about, how is it for eyes in general? I can't read off a backlit screen for extended periods the way I can from paper pages. it hurts my eyes. Amazon claims the Kindle has a screen that reads like paper, unlike other back lit electronic devices. Is that really true that it is as easy to read as paper?
Yes and no. The E-ink screen is not backlit, so it doesn't "glow" or flicker. The base screen background is light gray, not paper white, so it's not as much contrast as, say, a printed page from your computer. That the screen is not backlit means that, just like a regular book, you'll need a light source nearby for reading in dim places or at night.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:33 PM

5 posts, read 10,919 times
My sister has one - I was checking it out over the Holidays and though it was pretty neat, she said reading on it was just fine and she wears glasses. Not sure I would get one - I'd rather turn on the tv than read but I think it's a really cool idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books